Looking for a bow

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey The Scythian, nice post.

I would advise the OP to go with a modern recurve based on the information he has given us. Just for ease of use. I have a Korean Horn Bow both a composite and the actual horn bow. They are a lot of work and or very difficult to shoot without training in the traditional manor. Particularly if you are utilizing the thumb ring. The training I received helped but even then it is more difficult to work with. Where as a modern recurve is a lot easier to use and also to get some basic instruction to begin.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey The Scythian, nice post.

I would advise the OP to go with a modern recurve based on the information he has given us. Just for ease of use. I have a Korean Horn Bow both a composite and the actual horn bow. They are a lot of work and or very difficult to shoot without training in the traditional manor. Particularly if you are utilizing the thumb ring. The training I received helped but even then it is more difficult to work with. Where as a modern recurve is a lot easier to use and also to get some basic instruction to begin.
What is it thAt makes it more difficult? Is it the thumb shooting? I just do European two-finger draw on my Hungarian bows and I don't find anything different.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the horn bow ie. not the composite but the horn bow itself is very challenging just to string. You definitely need special training just for that. A horn bow is not for any kind of beginner but someone who has had training and worked up to it. A composite horn bow is easier to string but still difficult for a beginner. If you wish to draw with a mediterranian draw then it is easier to work with but not as easy as a recurve in feel, pull, etc A 50 lb pull with a recurve will feel different and easier than a 50 lb pull with a composite horn bow even if you use the same draw with both. I would say that the horn bow would feel heavier. If you draw with the thumb ring then well you need some training and also you will have to work up to it. Drawing with the thumb ring is a totally different way and requires training and slowly building up to a decent weight. I grew up with recurves and compounds and for a time invested some training and time with the Korean Horn Bow. Finally, I moved back to my true love in modern compound bows and crossbows. These are just my observations as while I am decent with a horn bow I am in no ways an expert!

Last edited:

Gunner01020

White Belt
Reaction score
Take a look at the samick sage line of bows. They're pretty affordable and a blast to shoot. I got mine with arrows and a spare recurve bow string and it was under $200

Latest Discussions