Long 3

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
also, with Tess's observations...we also saw varying renditions of Long 1 with sidekicks place throughout...hmph. There was an orange belt that, after the two uppercuts at the end of the form, executed a shoulder roll onto her side, then planted a side kick head high whilst on the floor, then came back up to her feet then did two down blocks, and that concluded her version of Long 1...and she placed... :soapbox:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chronuss
There was an orange belt that, after the two uppercuts at the end of the form, executed a shoulder roll onto her side, then planted a side kick head high whilst on the floor, then came back up to her feet then did two down blocks, and that concluded her version of Long 1...and she placed

Yeah, that stuff happens.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
while attending the IKC in Boston, I was amazed to see in just about every upper rank division, Someone performing Long 3 in competition. upper ranking black belts, to even blue belts.

Hi Kenpo Tess,

I was one of the black belt women that performed Long 3 at the IKC. I have really grown to appreciate this form and all it has to offer. It really was amazing to see the different interpretations of this form. I also enjoyed seeing the "twirly whirlys" shown by various competitors! Some were quite "unique"!

I saw you once at the tournament, but it was just before your division performed forms, and I didn't want to interrupt you then. And well, then the throngs of people descended and I lost track of you! Next time! Sorry to hear about your sparring experience!

Peace,

Donna :asian:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo Mama
Hi Kenpo Tess,

I was one of the black belt women that performed Long 3 at the IKC. I have really grown to appreciate this form and all it has to offer. It really was amazing to see the different interpretations of this form. I also enjoyed seeing the "twirly whirlys" shown by various competitors! Some were quite "unique"!

I saw you once at the tournament, but it was just before your division performed forms, and I didn't want to interrupt you then. And well, then the throngs of people descended and I lost track of you! Next time! Sorry to hear about your sparring experience!

Peace,

Donna :asian:

Donna,

I'm sorry we weren't able to meet in Boston, but I'm sure there will be another time :) There were sooo many people constantly moving around it was difficult to keep track of anyone ~! We're already planning on making it to Dublin next year, and who know's where we may run into each other before then~!

You're so right about the unique ways the tecs were performed, some made me smile and some made me scratch my head in wonder.. but all in all it was well worth the trip :)

Take care~!
:asian:
Tess

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chronuss
...and she placed... :soapbox:

Sometimes participants will start their form, "(Long 1,2,3, etc...) modified for competition". Certainly they didn't allow her to place just for a couple of fancy moves added. There must have been some technical proficiency, or the other participants were just that bad...Also, I think we should get away from the idea of instilling judgemental views in our students. If we spend too much time talking about how bad the other guys are doing things, how they aren't "doing it the way Mr. Parker would have wanted", we don't save enough time for our own people to get better.

Also forms are very subjective and can be political. I never took/take forms too personally. In terms of fighting, develop a level of skill so that there isn't any doubt "who got that point". "Lengthen your line" to take a term from Mr. Hyams. "I should of got....", yeah so...you didn't now move on. Get the next five points and don't allow yourself to become mentally trapped by the one (point) that got away. I've been on both sides, "been robbed" and got a point when I "whiffed" a guy. I never complained to the judge in either case. Particularly when they gave me one :rofl: .

Just my thoughts, jb:asian:

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I'm fairly new to the whole competition thing. But to me it seems like if a competitor introduces themselve as studying the system of Ed Parker then they should go by the way he created the form??? To me if a person changes that form in any way it's no longer that form, but a variation of that form. If a person puts changes or modifies lets say Long 3 then it is technically no longer Long 3, they are adding their own creativity, adjustments, and experience into that form. I'm not saying that it is wrong but it's no longer Mr. Parker's Long 3 so it shouldn't be introduced as Long 3 under Mr. Parker's system. I know that there are some techniques that as we gain experience can be modified and adjusted to us due to maybe height differences or maybe our own weakness due to knee problems, back problems, or other physical issues. Even in forms there are positions that may be hindering to others so they may have to change it. But as Chronuss said, a shoulder roll and a kick in Long 1??? That I don't remember in Mr. Parker's Long 1 and it sure wasn't a modification due to handicaps on that persons behalf. Like I said I'm new to the competition thing and could be way out of line on this, but shouldn't something like that fall more under creative forms or something similiar to creative forms?

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by FUZZYJ692000
then they should go by the way he created the form???

So who teaches the way "he created the forms"? And if there are any variations between the way high level instructors do them, which one is right? I'm not going to get into a drawn out "who does the forms the right way discussion"...I'll leave that for others to intellectualize, but I've have had several discussions on various forms with some of those really sharp folks like Mr. C, Doc, Mr. Duffy, etc... and seen some of the videos with Mr. Tatum, Mr. Planas, Mr. Tabatabai, Mr. Fowler, Mr. Bulot and several others. The one thing that is consistant is that there is no consistency. Everyone uses different small tweeks that Mr. Parker showed them, or that they came up with from their training with SGM Parker. I mean the differences aren't huge (well, sometimes they are), but for someone that studies motion they are.

jb :asian:

Latest Discussions