Limits

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am starting to get an idea of the way I would like my training to go over the next 3 years, until retirement..... more on that as it happens..... if it happens how I would like it to....also assuming I can physically handle it at my age with my infirmity ....

But thinking about this quote from Bruce Lee on limits

“If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee

Now being almost twice the age of Bruce Lee when he died, I also realize that was said by a man in his early 30s or younger, in top physical condition with no arthritis and no bad knees...... but he does have a point and I do think it is applicable, to a point...... but your body can enforce limits upon you that you have to accept and then work to move beyond, or around..... but they are still limits.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
He says "physical" right in the quote.... which leaves some question in my mind.

There can be self imposed physical limits, "I'm too old for that", "I'm too heavy", "I'm too small" etc. But it could also mean what you perceive as physical limits or have been told are limits (see MD advice), which are not necessarily self imposed, and those are the limits a young Bruce Lee may not understand. Injury you can recover, other conditions you have to accept and try and work with and understand your limits. Which leads to a DIrty Harry movie quote "Man's got to know his limitations.

But there is no doubt he is also referring to self imposed limits in that quote

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually think he is correct. Its true that sometimes physical problems makes your body just say no and you can't, you just can't, right now. But its also true that people often use their limits, be that old age or illness, as an excuse. Once you start doing that the line between what you can't and what you won't, gets blurry.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I actually think he is correct. Its true that sometimes physical problems makes your body just say no and you can't, you just can't, right now. But its also true that people often use their limits, be that old age or illness, as an excuse. Once you start doing that the line between what you can't and what you won't, gets blurry.
I was typing something Simonds then erased it. A good example is how people have in their mind what being old is. So when they hit 50 they limit themselves by thinking that they should do "Old People Things". That type of expectations is one of the worst ways people limit themselves. I know guys in their 70s that still play video games and I've always seen gray haired pe6be active and doing physical activities with people who are younger. Those guys were always cool to me. I remember saying often "that's how I want to be when I get old."

I think we get in trouble one we start saying that we can't do things because we are old. It's probably healthier to just say that the car has a lot of mileage but it will still make the trip. It just won't be a fancy trip. Lol. Roll up windows, no bad AC, and a cassette player. Lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You have to keep moving or you start dying. I hope to be able to keep teaching well into my golden years, in spite of my injuries.
Yep definitely keep moving. Like old cars, let them sit for too long, they will start to fall apart in multiple areas.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am starting to get an idea of the way I would like my training to go over the next 3 years, until retirement..... more on that as it happens..... if it happens how I would like it to....also assuming I can physically handle it at my age with my infirmity ....

But thinking about this quote from Bruce Lee on limits

“If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee

Now being almost twice the age of Bruce Lee when he died, I also realize that was said by a man in his early 30s or younger, in top physical condition with no arthritis and no bad knees...... but he does have a point and I do think it is applicable, to a point...... but your body can enforce limits upon you that you have to accept and then work to move beyond, or around..... but they are still limits.
Hmmm. Bruce was inspiring, but there are insuperable limits. Death, for example. Hard to get over that one.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
when they hit 50 they limit themselves by thinking that they should do "Old People Things"
I'm going to be 73 soon. The "old people thing" I'm going to do is cut back on weights from an hour/day 4 days/wk to 3 days/wk with less weight and more reps. I'll also no longer jog or free spar heavy hitters. I think I'll still be good against anyone with control till I'm 75. After that, I'll just do kata, speed walking and some calisthenics, unless there's some young buck that needs to be put in his place. May also have to cut back to three lovers/wk.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was typing something Simonds then erased it. A good example is how people have in their mind what being old is. So when they hit 50 they limit themselves by thinking that they should do "Old People Things". That type of expectations is one of the worst ways people limit themselves. I know guys in their 70s that still play video games and I've always seen gray haired pe6be active and doing physical activities with people who are younger. Those guys were always cool to me. I remember saying often "that's how I want to be when I get old."

I think we get in trouble one we start saying that we can't do things because we are old. It's probably healthier to just say that the car has a lot of mileage but it will still make the trip. It just won't be a fancy trip. Lol. Roll up windows, no bad AC, and a cassette player. Lol
Made me think of something I came across in Northern China about age, which says cultural views make a difference. If you are "old" 60 or older and still playing baseball, basketball, soccer or just about any organized sport (tennis and golf are ok though).... you are considered to old for such things and crazy for doing that..... but if you are 60, 70 or even 80 in the park training Changquan, or any other martial art, that is ok. You are not crazy..... Not sure what influence this would have had on Bruce Lee, he was Chinese, but Southern Chinese and there can be major cultural differences between north and south

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Self-imposed limits, broadly speaking, can also describe limits imposed by others that we have chosen to accept.

Now, conversely, self-imposed constraints can be empowering. Say, choosing to focus deeply on one martial art rather than dabble in many.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
@geezer 's post got me thinking

I have learned osteoarthritis will put limits on you that can seem, and at times may be, unsurmountable. Much the reason for my post that started this. And I have found that the body can and will limit you and there can, at times, be no way around that (as mentioned by geezer...death). I am not as fast as I use to be, but I am still working on what I can. Running is not easy, not always possible, and not medically recommended, due to a knee replacement, but I can ride a bike. I can no longer kick over my head and no amount of stretching will get that back (arthritis). I can still kick to waist height. I can't even sit in cross legged on the floor (arthritis) nothing but possible surgery can change that and sitting in seiza is never happening again (knee replacement and arthritis)

But in my 20s and 30s I absolutely agreed with the original Bruce Lee quote, and even as far as my 40s. However when I hit 50 and started with big knee issues and arthritis I started to think about it and question it.

But there are also a lot of excuses like; I'm to old, I'm to heavy, I'm to slow, I'm to tired, I have to much pain.... that can be just that, excuses. And I know I used some for awhile, even gave up once or twice, but that didn't last long. I will say Bruce Lee's quote, even though he was early 30s or younger when he made it, along with a few other things from other sources, helped get me moving again.

I guess it comes down to, at least in my opinion, figuring out the difference between real and perceived limitations. Real you have to accept and see what you can actually do. Perceived, once realized, can be pushed through.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Self-imposed limits, broadly speaking, can also describe limits imposed by others that we have chosen to accept.

Now, conversely, self-imposed constraints can be empowering. Say, choosing to focus deeply on one martial art rather than dabble in many.
agreed, but after years of focusing mainly on one martial art, I am just beginning to discover it can also be empowering choosing to focus on greater than one martial art and dabble in none. But even here there are limits as to how many and, IMO, there has to be some relation between them in order for one to actually support training the other.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll be 69 in a few days. Since I started training a few months ago my limits are expanding. I'm getting stronger and stretching further. I have a long way to go including enduranDonce and technique.
Taking up MA at 68? Pretty ballsy. Good for you! Obviously, you're pretty damn old so progression in all the areas you mentioned will be slow and more limited than a kid of 30. But, as you said, your limits are expanding and that should be your main goal. Stay healthy and when you reach 70, you'll feel like 50. Most importantly, don't push your physical limits too far. Listen to your body. Don't let ego stop you from resting when you need to! Good luck and enjoy.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be 69 in a few days. Since I started training a few months ago my limits are expanding. I'm getting stronger and stretching further. I have a long way to go including endurance and technique.
That’s incredible!

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think I have run smack into one of those limitations.... more of jumping in to quick than a long term limitation.

Been training fairly hard twice a week, or at least fairly hard for me based on the last 5 years. I am sore all the time, not enough recovery time. I can't do much of my other exercise routine due to soreness and fatigue....May dial it back a bit for a month or 2

Latest Discussions