Liddell Retains UFC Crown With TKO of Sobral

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:
Lol I admit I'm being abit harsh stil a bit sore that Sobral lost.
I personally think that

1.wanderlei silva
2.Ricardo Arona
3.Kazushi sakuraba
4.Shogan Rua
5.quinton Jackson

Would all have no trouble beating him....infact Quinton already has.

The UFC really need to pull together this wandi fight for chuck...I really think it will damage the UFC's image hwen wandi wins though.( :

I can pretty much agree with this list except maybe Saku who is having trouble as of late (age and injuries) and always has had problems with guys who have KO power and good takedown defense.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that Silva is the cream of teh crop. After that I would give Liddel a good shot at beating anyone else. One thing about Liddel is that he is very hard to take down and always has a chance to just end a fight with one punch. So even in a ring with Silva do not bet to much on the favorite. The other thing going for Liddel right now is that he is simply hot. He is simply on the top of his game and seems to be getting a little better each time. Hopefully the Silva/Liddel fight will happen and we can see some serious action. I do however feel like most people that the Pride fighters are definately a step above the UFC fighters.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
I think that Silva is the cream of teh crop. After that I would give Liddel a good shot at beating anyone else. One thing about Liddel is that he is very hard to take down and always has a chance to just end a fight with one punch. So even in a ring with Silva do not bet to much on the favorite. The other thing going for Liddel right now is that he is simply hot. He is simply on the top of his game and seems to be getting a little better each time. Hopefully the Silva/Liddel fight will happen and we can see some serious action. I do however feel like most people that the Pride fighters are definately a step above the UFC fighters.

Brian R. VanCise

Rampage already beat him in convincing fashion and I'm not sure he can strike with the likes of a Shogun Rua. Arona's chin is a bit suspect so maybe a shot there, but that's a big maybe as Arona is very good at wrestling and Ju Jitsu and he doesn't gas easily.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
Rampage already beat him in convincing fashion and I'm not sure he can strike with the likes of a Shogun Rua. Arona's chin is a bit suspect so maybe a shot there, but that's a big maybe as Arona is very good at wrestling and Ju Jitsu and he doesn't gas easily.

Hey I like Rampage alot (he did grow up near my old stomping grounds) but I would not call that fight a beat down or totally convincing. Liddell was in that fight most of the way. If they met again who knows what would happen.

Brian R. VanCise

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Having never seen the Lidell/ Rampage fight, I was under the impression that Lidell quit in between rounds?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
cfr said:
Having never seen the Lidell/ Rampage fight, I was under the impression that Lidell quit in between rounds?

This is one of the few fights were I have seen Liddel looked gassed. He looked tired. However, I do not think the fight was totally dominated by Jackson. (whom I like even more than Liddel)

Brian R. VanCise

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
cfr said:

Fight was stopped by referee due to excessive punishment. Liddell was dominated and ate a counter right hand for the entire stand-up portion. Once it hit the ground it became even more one-sided. Lidell wasn't merely gassed he was soundly beaten. To his credit other than that fight I've never seen him so soundly trounced in stand-up fighting. Never. But against Jackson he kept eating a looping overhead right counter punch over and over again. And the punch was landing very flush with an audible impact.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
Fight was stopped by referee due to excessive punishment. Liddell was dominated and ate a counter right hand for the entire stand-up portion. Once it hit the ground it became even more one-sided. Lidell wasn't merely gassed he was soundly beaten. To his credit other than that fight I've never seen him so soundly trounced in stand-up fighting. Never. But against Jackson he kept eating a looping overhead right counter punch over and over again. And the punch was landing very flush with an audible impact.

While I would not say dominated is the correct word for the Jackson/Liddel fight. I would however concede that Jackson was considerably better when they were on the ground.

However, this fight was awhile ago and Liddel is hitting on all cylinders right now. I for one would be interested in seeing a rematch.

Brian R. VanCise

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
I can pretty much agree with this list except maybe Saku who is having trouble as of late (age and injuries) and always has had problems with guys who have KO power and good takedown defense.

Yeah I agree saku is getting old, he is an amzingly creative grappler....have you guys seen the cartwheel move?lol
great stuff.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:

I agree the Pride fighters seem in much better shape then the current UFC fighters.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Odin said:
I agree the Pride fighters seem in much better shape then the current UFC fighters.

I would have to agree that overall the Pride fighters are stronger all around than the UFC fighters. However, I for one would like to see UFC/Pride crossover fights more often. Particularly if the title belts are up for grabs. : )

Brian R. VanCise

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:

Yep, I'd go with that too. Only watched a few Pride bouts, but I have to say I preferred them.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
The only thing I really do not like about Pride fights is the ring!

Brian R. VanCise

I agree with that I cant tell you how many times I ve seen people fall out!lol

What I love the most about pride is the crowds reaction to the action its awsome the crowd really get involved in ground battles,you can here the ohhhs and arghhhs as the fighters fight for position...where as in the UFC the crowd seem to boo if a punch isnt thrown every 3 seconds, from a fighters perspective I can see why fighters prefere fighting for pride.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
While I would not say dominated is the correct word for the Jackson/Liddel fight. I would however concede that Jackson was considerably better when they were on the ground.

However, this fight was awhile ago and Liddel is hitting on all cylinders right now. I for one would be interested in seeing a rematch.

Brian R. VanCise

I'll concede that point:) A rematch would definitely get my money.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
The only thing I really do not like about Pride fights is the ring!

Brian R. VanCise

Screw the ring how about the pro wrestler versus pro wrestelr matchups. I understand it sells tickets to Japanese fans but come on. I watch those waiting for somone to climb the turnbuckle or grab a steel chair (as oppossed to the "not-steel" chair but that's a wrestling board discussion:))

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chuck Lidell is one of my favorite fighters, and I am not surprised that he won again.

I haven't gotten the chance to see it yet, though, and the links are now removed; anyone got a new link?

Paul

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with that I cant tell you how many times I ve seen people fall out!lol

What I love the most about pride is the crowds reaction to the action its awsome the crowd really get involved in ground battles,you can here the ohhhs and arghhhs as the fighters fight for position...where as in the UFC the crowd seem to boo if a punch isnt thrown every 3 seconds, from a fighters perspective I can see why fighters prefere fighting for pride.

Too true and too sad.

Latest Discussions