Who is the heaviest hitter in the UFC...

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
who do u think is the heaviest hitter in the UFC and or Pride?

i remember seeing Tank Abbot Level some dudes, but that was years ago.

since then i've seen some great elbow strikes from David "the crow" Loiseau.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
lll000000lll said:
who do u think is the heaviest hitter in the UFC and or Pride?

i remember seeing Tank Abbot Level some dudes, but that was years ago.

since then i've seen some great elbow strikes from David "the crow" Loiseau.

Although he never won a title, which really didn't seem to matter to him, Tank never seemed to turn down the chance to throw down! Currently though, I'll have to go with The Ice Man!!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say Chuck Liddell or Vitor Belfort.

Chuck, simply because he knows how to take advantage of the slightest slip in your guard, and when he sees that opening, he rarely misses.

I still remember Vitor Belfort, who was barely 200 lbs, snapping back the heads of people the likes of Tank Abbott and Scott Ferrozo, both of whom weren't exactly small men. These were done with straight jabs.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Currently -- The Ice Man
Middle Years of UFC -- Belfort
Classic years -- Tank

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of UFC-only responses here.

On the Pride side of things Wanderlei Silva cannot be ignored at Chuck's weight class. They don't call him the "Axe Murderer" for nothing. If/When these two guys fight, it's not going to be pretty.

And let's not forget Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score

On the Pride side of things Wanderlei Silva cannot be ignored at Chuck's weight class. They don't call him the "Axe Murderer" for nothing. If/When these two guys fight, it's not going to be pretty.

He did ask who the heaviest hitter in the UFC was...

As for the UFC, Arlovski and Liddel would seem to be the top two. In PRIDE, I would say Fedor and Mark Hunt, with Cro-Cop having the most powerful single strike in the form of his high kick, and Silva being their best 205, and arguable the best striker at 205 in the world of MMA.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I would have put in pride but the thread ask for UFC.
Terry

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He did ask who the heaviest hitter in the UFC was...

Yah, but in the content of his actual post he does ask about Pride as well. Have a look-see. :mst:

He also mentioned David "The Crow" Loiseau. More like David "The Cro-Magnon" Loiseau -- Rich Franklin literally "devolved" him in their last fight and gave him that primitive forebrow. I vote that he change his name accordingly.

But seriously, Loiseau doesn't necessarily have devastating hits, he just practices slicing with the tips of his elbows so that his opponents get cut and they have to stop the fight. Seems like the easy way out to me.

FuriousGeorge

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Tim Silvia, He's had his share of brutal knockouts. Pound for pound I have to go with Chuck, but I think Arovski and Silvia probably hit harder overall. I'm sure Chuck could bang with them though, I don't think I could bet against him in any circumstance.

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Tim Silvia, He's had his share of brutal knockouts. Pound for pound I have to go with Chuck, but I think Arovski and Silvia probably hit harder overall. I'm sure Chuck could bang with them though, I don't think I could bet against him in any circumstance.

Well we just may get to find out how Chuck would do against those formidable heavyweights. After he beats Tito again, and if they can't get Wanderlei Silva in to fight him, he's seriously considering moving to the heavyweight division for some tougher challenges. He mentions that in an interview I recently saw on Sherdog.com.

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Honestly I want someone to take the title from Liddel.

I don't see much skill from the guy, all he has is his big hits, no technical skills. Whenever he gets a guy to the ground he makes them stand back up so he can knock them out.

This is just my opinion, I know he's a tough guy and has worked hard for it, but I'm starting to get alittle turned off of the whole paying for pay per view when his fights only last 30 seconds. Not really what I call a good fight.

Just alittle boring. But thats just an observation.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly I want someone to take the title from Liddel.

I don't see much skill from the guy, all he has is his big hits, no technical skills. Whenever he gets a guy to the ground he makes them stand back up so he can knock them out.

This is just my opinion, I know he's a tough guy and has worked hard for it, but I'm starting to get alittle turned off of the whole paying for pay per view when his fights only last 30 seconds. Not really what I call a good fight.

Just alittle boring. But thats just an observation.

Not much skill in his fights that last only 30 seconds? I'm not sure what to say about that, but it does make me smile. :)

How about this, "Well, at least you're bored for only 30 seconds."

I'll agree that it's not a good fight for the PPV spectators paying $39.95.

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not much skill in his fights that last only 30 seconds? I'm not sure what to say about that, but it does make me smile. :)

How about this, "Well, at least you're bored for only 30 seconds."

I'll agree that it's not a good fight for the PPV spectators paying $39.95.

Don't get me wrong, obviously the faster you get it done, the faster he can go for beers... Its just for once I would like him to try something new. He's had the title for long enough now that maybe he should try a grapple or a tap out. Come on show alittle variety.
I know if its not broken, don't fix it. But when he gets interviewed by Joe Roggin at the end all he cares about is telling people where everyone's meeting up for beers after the fight.
Obviously he's a good "boxer" since no one has been able to get away from his hay-makers.

Just my two bits.

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, obviously the faster you get it done, the faster he can go for beers... Its just for once I would like him to try something new. He's had the title for long enough now that maybe he should try a grapple or a tap out. Come on show alittle variety.
I know if its not broken, don't fix it. But when he gets interviewed by Joe Roggin at the end all he cares about is telling people where everyone's meeting up for beers after the fight.
Obviously he's a good "boxer" since no one has been able to get away from his hay-makers.

Just my two bits.

Is the purpose of a fight to give a show, or to win? I really can't blame him for sticking to his strength. And there's not much commentary needed when you knock out a guy in the early seconds of a fight. It's the job of his challengers to make him do something else.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Liddel is a very skilled technition - his punches are fast, powerful and accurate. Notice that he rarely misses and that few of his punches are without effect. His one-punch knockout power is rare in his weight class and probably unmatched. His takedown defense, while it appears simple, is actually very nuanced and precise - not to mention the most sucessful one in all of MMA.

trevorama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is the purpose of a fight to give a show, or to win? I really can't blame him for sticking to his strength. And there's not much commentary needed when you knock out a guy in the early seconds of a fight. It's the job of his challengers to make him do something else.

Well put. Jesse's comments remind me of all those fans who started booing Tito after he knocked Ken Shamrock silly in 20 seconds during the last UFC. When a fighter dominates another fighter, that is something to be admired, and respected. The short fight is disappointing to be sure, but it's not the winner's fault, or the referee's for that matter.

Chuck Liddell is an extremely skilled fighter. To think otherwise, is to expose your ignorance of the sport. He also has superb ground skills. He just uses these abilities to get back up to his feet, where he can get a knockout. That's his signature... and it's also what fans love to see. And ultimately isn't standing up the best way to fight if you were out on the street?

Latest Discussions