Leung Ting WT Competitiveness

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Consensus seems to be, in order for WCnnerss to do well against other martial art disciplines sparring seems to be the order of the day. With that said, from what I've read. The Leung Ting system seems to incorporate alot of sparring in their curriculum at some point which I don't hear mentioned in other WC systems atleast in the United States.

I can't say whether LT system teaching is better than other WC systems but atleast they address the issue of what works and what doesn't through sparring.

Maybe we need to go back to the days of Miyamoto Musashi and the samurai (challenge) atleast if you have you're head handed to you it won't be a life or death situation:))) Sounds like a pun to me:)))

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on what your definition of sparring is , in Wing Chun this can mean different things to different people.

In the school I taught and trained at in Australia there were various methods of sparring .

LIGHT HAND SPARRING - A bit of a misnomer , because it was usually anything but light. Wing Chun guard vs Wing Chun guard mainly attacks to body to work on reflex , hand speed , trapping and breaking through opponents guard , no leg attacks.

CHI SAU SPARRING - This is executing attacks and defences whilst in contact with the opponents arms at random during the rolling cycle of the arm sensitivity drill commonly known as Chi Sau.

Usually there is heavy contact to the body and controlled contact to the head unless wearing head gear. Chi Sau sparring can start in contact range but can also move in and out of contact range.

Students mainly are working on their trapping and counters to trapping and learning to hit with out being hit. Mainly using hands but sometimes leg attacks as well.

WING CHUN VS WING CHUN - Occasionally students will wear protective gear and spar each other using arms and legs from long range both using Wing Chun , this would be thought of as the conventional sparring distance seen in most martial styles.

In my opinion there is not much to be gained from this type of sparring because they both bridge the gap and end up in Chi Sau range any way.

RANDOM ARM SPARRING - This is where the student using Wing Chun will defend himself against any type of arm attack from random angles always attempting to use simultaneous counter attack. Head gear , mouth guards , smaller type gloves are often used .

This type of sparring hones the reflexes that are used before contact is made , and gets the student used to dealing with non Wing Chun types of attacks . Boxers punches , karate punches etc.

The emphasis is on moving in fast , using wrist latching to control the opponents hands and keeping him under pressure by continually advancing forward usually using a hook kick or stamp kick to the legs to finish.

RANDOM LEG SPARRING- The same principal as random arms , except the Wing Chun student defends against random kicking attacks , round house kicks , spinning kicks , low kicks etc.

The student mainly works on jamming the kicks before they start , using stop kicks down the centreline , leg deflections and then closing in with low kicks like low heel kicks , hook kick to thighs then finally hands , elbows and knees.

RANDOM ARMS AND LEGS - Student has to defend against any type of random attack , arms and legs.

RANDOM KNIFE ATTACKS- Student defends against any random knife attack , over head stabs , thrusts , slashes .

Emphasis on getting out of the path of weapon , immobilising the weapon holding arm and striking with speed and power using combinations of hand , elbow , knees , multiple low kicks , sweeps etc.

RANDOM STICK / CLUB ATTACKS - Student defends himself against impact weapon such as a club or stick . Again the emphasis is on getting out of the path of the weapon whilst deflecting , moving in close , controlling the weapon wielders hands while striking him.

MULTIPLE OPPONENT SPARRING - Pretty much the same as all of the above except the student must also be aware of his positioning in relation to all of the attackers , keeping them all lined up and in his front sector , being careful not to be out flanked.

A greater degree of reflex , speed and power must also be demonstrated so that the Wing Chun student spends as little time as possible dispatching each attacker.

These are mainly the methods that were used in our academy.

OP
N

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Excellent..........I'll keep all of this in mind as I prepare for a lifetime experience in WC. No rush, I just want to be solid and formidable.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Excellent..........I'll keep all of this in mind as I prepare for a lifetime experience in WC. No rush, I just want to be solid and formidable.

What you have to bear in mind is that not all Wing Chun is the same , there are many different lineages and they all differ in their methods.

There are some branches of Wing Chun that I have seen that are so different from our lineages methods that they could be a totally different style altogether.

They use different methods of executing force , some are rigid in execution , some are extremely relaxed , some use different deflections against common attacks , have a different fighting stance , the forms can be almost unrecognisable .

Some will chamber their kicks , others kick straight from floor to target , some lineages will have certain kicks in their repetoire and others won't , some will be geared to strictly self defence and allow contact others will not allow any hitting the partner at all in class and no sparring of any kind.

We can't even agree on the correct terms for a lot of the techniques , so the name Wing Chun , Wing Tsun , Weng Chun can be a bit of an umbrella term that encompasses a lot of systems that may or may not bear any more than a passing resemblance to each other.

Do you still want to enter the confusing world that is Wing Chun / Wing Tsun / Weng Chun ?

OP
N

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am an avid reader period and I'm well aware of the politics of WC sad to say. The 2 closest schools to me are 60 miles north. One is the Leung Ting system and the other is Sifu Kenneth Chung. Sifu Ben Der is assistant to Kenneth Chung. The lineage of Kenneth Chung flows from Yip Man to Leung Sheung to Kenneth Chung and Ben Der. Leung Ting's lineage also flows from Yip Man but whether he actually trained with Yip Man/Leung Sheung and the amount of time spent with both or either seems to be alittle suspect (according to what I hear)?

I visited both schools a few years ago and found the LT system's stance lacking mobility ( dragging the rear leg all over the place). I was once told the LT stances build good leg strength but I would hate to get caught in it.

Sifu Chung which utilizes what's call "A Soft Approach" seems to be very precise, slow and technical (attention to deal). Beyond that I can't tell you much.

I've got quite a few videos on the Wong Shun Leung System. What I like about the system's stance is that it's very mobile.

Once again, as for the politics, I'll try and handle it like Uncle Sam and play the conservative. I'm there to learn and absorb, whatever drama u bring to the table because of personal likes and dislikes in none of my concern if I can't improve the situation.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nicholas-- you're right that some WT groups do work hard at sparring and realistic application of their stuff (I was seriously into WT for a long time before ending up in a splinter group that uses a different name). But this varies a lot from group to group The EBMAS WT guys are especially into fighting applications. I, on the other hand, hang with a group of older ex-WT guys and we do some chi-sau "sparring" and light free sparring--that's about it, except when my si-juk ("kung fu nephew") gets a wild hare and goes all BJJ on me! Sparring can mean a lot of different things, as Mook pointed out. He's a veritable fountain of good info. Anyway, I checked out your personal profile and found... well, nada. So how about introducing yourself and sharing a bit of background. Also, where are you located? Maybe somebody here knows somebody in your area.

Golden Harvest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am an avid reader period and I'm well aware of the politics of WC sad to say. The 2 closest schools to me are 60 miles north. One is the Leung Ting system and the other is Sifu Kenneth Chung. Sifu Ben Der is assistant to Kenneth Chung. The lineage of Kenneth Chung flows from Yip Man to Leung Sheung to Kenneth Chung and Ben Der. Leung Ting's lineage also flows from Yip Man but whether he actually trained with Yip Man/Leung Sheung and the amount of time spent with both or either seems to be alittle suspect (according to what I hear)?

I visited both schools a few years ago and found the LT system's stance lacking mobility ( dragging the rear leg all over the place). I was once told the LT stances build good leg strength but I would hate to get caught in it.

Sifu Chung which utilizes what's call "A Soft Approach" seems to be very precise, slow and technical (attention to deal). Beyond that I can't tell you much.

I've got quite a few videos on the Wong Shun Leung System. What I like about the system's stance is that it's very mobile.

Once again, as for the politics, I'll try and handle it like Uncle Sam and play the conservative. I'm there to learn and absorb, whatever drama u bring to the table because of personal likes and dislikes in none of my concern if I can't improve the situation.

What's more important than the system is the teacher. If you have the opportunity to study with Kenneth Chung, do so. My former Wing Chun teacher learn from Kenneth, and his skill is very high. This is a credit to Kenneth's teaching ability. You are fortunate to be in a position to decide between two schools whereas most of us in "Green Acres" do not have access to any quality Chinese Martial Art schools. Stay far away from the politics. With Wing Chun, you don't want to go there.

Best regards.

Latest Discussions