Lets jettison the insane asylum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's just the thing. He disagrees with me. I accept that. Post your own thoughts, your way, in your own threads, as many as you like as long as you don't break the rules or are rude or impolite. Or, and this is just as fine, come to my threads and post the things that you think should be posted. Don't expect me to agree with you just because "Everyone knows..." but post what you want, on my threads, the way you want. Be a grown up. Stop complaining.

Sorkin is a hard left guy, and he made the character a Republican because he thinks that makes his hard left agenda more acceptable. Amazing that he didn't make the guy a Democrat who decries the democrat party, the labor unions, or the NAACP or Jesse Jackson and their attacks on the republicans and the country isn't it? Instead the "Republican" commentator attacks the Tea Party. Wow, that was original wasn't it. You agree with this, I don't. Go post on it yourself.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
OK my questions has been answered...its all about bill

Like I said earlier, no, it's not-we have this "get rid of the Study" thing every couple of years, especially election years. While I don't care for Billy's posting style, or his "go to guys," or his copy-pastas, or his dogmatism, or how he seems to be factually challenged, or ignores proven facts that contradict him, it's not about him-I've been accused of picking on him, but I just can't stand it when people refuse to acknowledge proven facts-if I really wanted to pick on him, I'd be pursuing his threads all over the place, instead of pointedly ignoring some, and simply ridiculing others.....fact is, though, if we look at the Study, there's very little discussion going on, and very few threads that aren't political in nature-I'd enjoy some discussion around ethical or philosphical issues, and occasionally scientific ones (get that enough at the damn dinner table, even, dammit...:lfao: ) I enjoy discussing the political issues of the day, but on that, we've all mostly had our minds made up for us, and the "arguments" just get stale, and go around and around-witness the whole "abortion" thing in the "Romney picks Ryan" thread, which really just looked like this:

It's a baby!
It's a fetus!
t's a baby!
It's a fetus!
It's a baby!
It's a fetus!
It's a baby!
It's a
fetus!
Baby!Fetus!Baby!Fetus!

Without even getting into the all around ethical issues, because, as far as the "It's a baby!" side goes, that settles it, and anyone (me) who even says, Hey, wait a minute-this fetus can't be a "baby," it's lungs won't work" is accused of "jumping through hoops to justify abortion," when they've already repeatedly stated their opposition to abortion on ethical grounds., and were just stating that one couldn't (scientifically) call a "fetus" a "baby."

Maybe Tgace is right-maybe we shouldn't bother talking to each other, since our minds are already made up-as in, completely closed. :angry:

It's not "about Billy," it's about quality in general.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, I don't think I have ever mentioned Jeff Bridges in a post. This is a great example of me stating my "opinion," on the subject and people not agreeing with it so I am a troll for discussing it.

then there is this...

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sh...ike-southerners-but-see-my-movie-anyway/page4

Post #49
Well, here is more on HBO a whole network that doesn't seem to like the U.S. How can you tell, well the programming for one thing...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollyw...Not-The-Greatest-Country-In-The-World-Anymore

HBO gets dinged for the hit job on Sarah Palin, having a show that playfully puts Bush's head on a pike and now Jeff Daniels and Aaron Sorkin make a whole show that shows a great dislike for the United States. Not the best of moves with the competition from Redbox and Netflix getting more and more intense...

I don't ignore those posts, I disagree with those posts and go on to post what I think and the opinions and research that I agree with. I will not be brow beaten into agreeing with something I believe is false or wrong just because "Everybody Knows..." when they actually don't know.

The character in the Sorkin show is written as being a Republican because they are trying to pretend to be "fair and objective," by having a Republican go on diatribes against Republicans. Yeah, that's fair and balanced. Oh wait, would that be my opinion, I guess it would be.

You don't often actually say you disagree. You say that whoever is giving different facts and information is wrong, and here's more of the same (ultra-right-wing ultra-conservative scare-mongering website unsubstantiated opinion) to back it up. Nowhere do you express an independent thought or opinion, you simply regurgitate what these extremist political commentators (who, again, freely admit that their job is to entertain, not inform) as facts, when frankly Bill, they ain't.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You mean Jeff Daniels, yeah, I mentioned him. Jeff Bridges is from True Grit and the Tron movie. He did recently defend Clint Eastwood's appearence at the RNC though.

Yeah, if I think someone is wrong I'll say "Your wrong," then it is there decision to 1) prove me wrong in their postings, 2)imply I am a troll 3) ignore me and post about TKD 4) ignore me and move on with their life instead of complaining about the study.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thread: Lets jettison the...
This is a really self-centered post.You want others 2 grow up but this has got to be one of the most juvenile responses I've ever read from you; even tho we rarely agree, I'm disappointed in its quality. Why so sensitive? - shesulsa09-06-2012 10:33 PM

Yeah, thanks guys for demonstrating what whiners and complainers you are...

Bill:

Discussion of reputation in open forum is against the rules.
Comments made in reputation are considered private communication and posting them without permission is against the rules.
Giving retaliatory reputation (rep wars) is also against the rules.

You have turned the discussion of a section of this board into a discussion about you. I stand by my comment - standing on a soapbox in a room with a bullhorn spouting your opinion louder and louder and louder is not discussion. Making the entire study discussion about you and your posting habits? This is thread-hijack and it's ALSO against the rules. It *absolutely is* self-serving, it *absolutely is* juvenile.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT YOU - IT IS ABOUT A SECTION OF THE BOARD YOU VISIT. IT IS ABOUT A BUSINESS DECISION FOR THE OWNER, IT IS ABOUT THE PURPOSE OF THE STUDY FORUM AND WHETHER OR NOT IT SERVES ITS PURPOSE TO MORE THAN A HANDFUL OF MARTIAL ARTISTS WHO VISIT HERE.

NOT YOU.

Get it?

Not you, not me, not any single user. It is about this site and Bill, THIS SITE IT NOT ABOUT YOU.

I'm done with this discussion. Not because I'm "childish" or "not tough" but because I understand that the definition of insanity is continuing the same behavior and expecting different results. I don't expect your toxic behavior to change and I refuse to sacrifice my good air and energy on the lost cause of egoism.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm...Friedrich Hayek, though he was in a rap video on economics, is hardly an "entertainer," but he did win the Nobel Prize in economics. Thomas Sowell, another person I quote, one of many of a very diverse pool of thinkers, isn't an entertainer either. I use a lot of people when I cite articles. I cite Fred Singer, not an entertainer, a meterologist and author, who wrote " Unstoppable Global Warming, evert 1,500 years." So please, I use many different, highly credentialed sources, and other sources, like Breitbart and PJmedia. Breitbart does the job the main stream media won't.

Breitbart covered the fact that the democrats removed the word God from their platform and then held three votes on the floor and still voted down including God in the platform. The mayor of Los Angeles, who didn't know what to do, just said the ayes have it, when they didn't have it. The main stream media, ABC, CBS, NBC didn't cover the most dramatic moment at the DNC because it would have embarrassed the DNC and would have alienated the minority voters in the democrat party who are more religious than the DNC delegates. That is why I cite conservative media alternative sites.

Face it. You don't like what I post, or how I post it, and it really irritates you that I won't stop because you say I should.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah Shesulsa, tell it to someone who believes you. You and pg smith bad rep me and do it where people can't see it. You guys are sooooo...brave, and mature.

I apologize for breaking of those rules. I didn't mean to do it, not realizing it was against the rules to post it. I am sure you will also chastize the others who have continued "hijacking" this thread.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm...Friedrich Hayek, though he was in a rap video on economics, is hardly an "entertainer," but he did win the Nobel Prize in economics. Thomas Sowell, another person I quote, one of many of a very diverse pool of thinkers, isn't an entertainer either. I use a lot of people when I cite articles. I cite Fred Singer, not an entertainer, a meterologist and author, who wrote " Unstoppable Global Warming, evert 1,500 years." So please, I use many different, highly credentialed sources, and other sources, like Breitbart and PJmedia. Breitbart does the job the main stream media won't.

Breitbart covered the fact that the democrats removed the word God from their platform and then held three votes on the floor and still voted down including God in the platform. The mayor of Los Angeles, who didn't know what to do, just said the ayes have it, when they didn't have it. The main stream media, ABC, CBS, NBC didn't cover the most dramatic moment at the DNC because it would have embarrassed the DNC and would have alienated the minority voters in the democrat party who are more religious than the DNC delegates. That is why I cite conservative media alternative sites.

Face it. You don't like what I post, or how I post it, and it really irritates you that I won't stop because you say I should.

I'm talking of the Breitbart style internet and radio commentators here. Rush Limbaugh admitted it point blank when caught saying something particularly nasty, and it goes across the board of that ilk. But the point is that yeah, I don't like a lot of what you post. Not because of your posting it, but more down to who you're posting. Because I really don't have much of a clue about you, yourself, Bill. You let these overblown voices speak for you, so I really don't know how to take you. It smacks to me of someone with no ability to have an independent thought, or apply any critical reasoning or thinking... but I don't have anything to base that on either, as you haven't shown enough in any direction to say if you have such traits. The thing is, though, whether I like the opinions you post or not isn't the biggest problem, and really, I have no issue with you posting them, especially if they are what you truly believe. My issue is that you post them, then don't debate. You just negate what anyone else says and continue with more of the same. You don't have to stop, but you really should look at what a "DISCUSSION" forum is... because you're missing the "discussion" part of it. You put up good material that can lead to good discussions from both sides, but there is no engagement. And, in a nutshell, that is why people have a problem with your posting style.

I will say, though, that I'm glad you put down what you martial arts background is here, as frankly, from all your time on a martial arts board, I didn't have much of a clue. How about you come out and see the rest of us where there's daylight once in a while, yeah?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bill:

Discussion of reputation in open forum is against the rules.
Comments made in reputation are considered private communication and posting them without permission is against the rules.
Giving retaliatory reputation (rep wars) is also against the rules.

You have turned the discussion of a section of this board into a discussion about you. I stand by my comment - standing on a soapbox in a room with a bullhorn spouting your opinion louder and louder and louder is not discussion. Making the entire study discussion about you and your posting habits? This is thread-hijack and it's ALSO against the rules. It *absolutely is* self-serving, it *absolutely is* juvenile.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT YOU - IT IS ABOUT A SECTION OF THE BOARD YOU VISIT. IT IS ABOUT A BUSINESS DECISION FOR THE OWNER, IT IS ABOUT THE PURPOSE OF THE STUDY FORUM AND WHETHER OR NOT IT SERVES ITS PURPOSE TO MORE THAN A HANDFUL OF MARTIAL ARTISTS WHO VISIT HERE.

NOT YOU.

Get it?

Not you, not me, not any single user. It is about this site and Bill, THIS SITE IT NOT ABOUT YOU.

I'm done with this discussion. Not because I'm "childish" or "not tough" but because I understand that the definition of insanity is continuing the same behavior and expecting different results. I don't expect your toxic behavior to change and I refuse to sacrifice my good air and energy on the lost cause of egoism.

So you used an entire post aimed at someone to tell them its not about them?

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You need to look more closely at my posts on the other side. The martial arts side is slow in most of the areas that I am most interested in. The FMA threads just don't have much going on. I like the General Self-defense thread, but again, not much going on. All summer long I posted movie reviews in the rec room. I also list the books I read in the Library. Last night, in looking at Dirty Dog posting in the sword thread, I found something to comment on. I post on what is interesting to me on the martial arts side, but how often can you post about things that aren't moving? I also studied Mugai Ryu iaido for 6 years but you don't see a lot moving on Iaido either, or japanese sword arts in general.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have about 8 threads in the rec room, and no one even acknowledges that, it is just the study they want to complain about. Keep in mind, I do not bring politics into the other threads on Martial talk, not even the movie threads. I will talk about movies and T.V. but not from a political point of view. If there is a political point of view I bring it to the study. Or try to anyway.

And I rarely mention limbaugh or beck or hannity for that matter. I prefer Breitbart and PJmedia and powerlineblog.com and Hotair.com.

If I was interested in TKD it seems like there might be something to post on there. But I'm not. So I can't.:wink:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then start some discussions in the martial art sections. Ask about differences between Mugai Ryu and Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu/Muso Shinden Ryu, and how the Seitei version of Nukiuchi is different to the way you were taught in Mugai Ryu. Talk about your experiences in FMA, what you like, what you don't, what you found to be a positive in your training, your favourite drills etc. Go to the Kempo technical area and hash things out with the guys there... I've done that a number of times.

This is a martial arts forum... if you're a prominent member (and you are, Bill), and no-one has a clue what martial arts you do, that's saying something. And it's not a good something.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just double checked, the Sorkin thread was a T.V. show discussion but because it was political in nature I posted it in the study.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, as I said Bill, what you're posting isn't really the issue, it's how you go about it, both in the initial posting and the follow up. If you want to discuss political issues stemming from TV shows, or movies, you're more than free to... but realize that others will see such posts and point out that you're looking for an agenda where one doesn't necessarily exist. So be aware of what you're starting. If everything is "Hollywood hates America, they only like Democrats, us poor Republicans are the victims... have you seen Batman? It's all about OWS!", then it gets tires pretty quickly. And it gets tired even quicker when you don't hear any argument from anyone.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They can look up my preferences under my name, and I have posted on those subjects before. However, those topics still don't move, and my real love right now, well since the 1980's, has been the FMA, but it isn't my job to post just to post to make the martial side more popular. How about the list of characters I mentioned, if they are the ones so hard on for the martial arts side, they should be the ones leading the way by posting tons of material on the martial arts side, thus creating a list of recent posts on the martial arts side that overshadows the tiny Study side...but they don't, do they. Instead of doing what you suggest, and what they are arguing for and condemning me for...they don't do it themselves...and yet, I need to take their criticism of me seriously. I like you chris parker, I head over to the sword arts side sometime today and post some more to try and get it moving, that is where my passion for the arts really is...but so is politics...it is martial arts without the pain or travel time or the tuition payments. If you want to talk anything sword related, I'll pay more attention and we can start talking sword arts and FMA.

As a side note...as the character Cain says, from the Heroes Die Series, "nobody ever just asks me...they always think they have to bully me." Then he goes on to cause several wars and kill a bunch of people. The second book was interesting when it focused on the Acting school where he recieved his training.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thread locked by staff.

You may consider an appropriately sarcastic comment about dogs and playgrounds to be inserted here.

jks9199
Asst. Administrator

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Administrator Notice.

A reminder concerning the proper use of the reputation system, and if you feel there has been abuse.

From our Terms of Service:

5.3.2 Problem involves comments in the Reputation system.

Please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of all forum pages. Give as much information as possible about the matter so that we can locate the correct "ding". Please see Section 12 for details on the Rep System

Section 12 What is the Reputation System, How It Works, Policies, Etc.

What is reputation?
The reputation system is very similar to the Karma system seen on other popular websites and forums (Slashdot.org, for example). Its purpose is to hopefully give users an idea of how respected, knowledgeable, helpful, gracious, etc., a person is. It is a system in which you rate your peers. It is a system that, hopefully, will make you think twice about your posts. Try to help others by giving reputation to the people you believe know what they are talking about and are the most helpful! Try to earn more reputation by helping others and giving the most detailed answers, while avoiding being disrespectful to others.

What are good and bad things to give negative reputation for?
Negative reputation should be given if the person is posting something that detracts from the conversation. If the post is rude, inappropriate, breaks forum rules, is not gracious, etc; these are all good reasons to give negative reputation. If you have a personal grudge with someone, their art, teacher, etc, is it not appropriate to give them negative reputation for no reason. Giving negative reputation because you don't agree with what was said is not an appropriate use of the reputation system. People are entitled to their own opinions, and just because you don't agree doesn't mean the user was wrong or not contributing to the conversation. If you are disagreeing, it is considered polite to explain why.

How much reputation can I give out? Are there any limits?
There are quite a few limits in place to prevent minor abuse of the reputation system. Obviously there cannot be a flawless system, but these limits try to curb any intentional abuse. You must have 10 posts and 10 reputation points in order for your reputation to count on other people. Until you meet those requirements, your reputation will show up as grey dots (see below). Everybody is limited to giving out 40 reputations per day; you cannot give the same person reputation until you have given reputation to 40 other people. This prevents friends from giving 10 reputations to the same person every day. Use them wisely!

What are good and bad things to give positive reputation for?
Reputation should be given to people who post meaningful, helpful, and thoughtful posts. Any post that contributes to the thread in a positive way probably deserves positive reputation. This does not mean that you agree with what was said; the point brought up may be completely opposite to what you believe, but it may be a good point nonetheless, and worthy of a pat on the back. Giving positive reputation to someone because they are your friend and deserve to have a few more green dots next to their name probably isn't a good reason to give positive reputation.

What the Reputation system is:
* A way to indicate your approval or disapproval of someone’s post in a polite manner.

What the Reputation system is not:
* A popularity contest
* A private message system
* A place to hurl anonymous insults
* A place to flirt/harass or otherwise bother
* A place to air personal/political/religious agendas
* A place for advertising (This is an immediate site ban)

All messages left with reputation points must conform to our normal content guidelines.

Reputation System Abuse
If you believe someone has crossed the line, please contact the Admin Team (use contact link at bottom of page) and give us specifics on what rep is in question. We will investigate it.

If you are found guilty of abusing the rep system, you may receive a warning, infraction points and/or lose permission to use the system for up to a year.

In addition, the offending points will be reversed, which is defined as the following:
- Your negative points become positive points thereby boosting the person you intended to slam
- You may take a negative hit on your own reputation

We have reviewed the rep given the past 11 days, and are reversing, negating, and penalizing those who have been determined to have abused the system.
Warnings and Infractions are also being issued.

The Rep system is here to provide a fun extra way of giving people feedback. It's not a stick to smack people with, and use must conform to our posted TOS.
Tit for Tat abuse will NOT be tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions