Lesson planning help please !!!

T

Titan Uk

Can anyone assist with ideas for lesson plans. I generally do them off the top of my head during the class but lately I feel the classes have not be up to the usual standard due to work commitments and I do not wish to let it slip.

I would be grantful of any assistance than anyone could offer.

OP
T

Titan Uk

I teach both junior and seniors.
So we are looking at from 6 years old onwards.

The lessons just seem to have gone stale. Can not put a reason on it. Always seem to run out of time before I'm able to move onto new techniques...etc.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What kinds of stuff are you doing now? My favorite classes have always included a variety of things from standing and moving basics drills, lines, etc. to tech. lines. The tech. lines are good cuz they allow everyone to work on everyone- various sizes, etc- this is in the adult class of course.

There are a ton of things to do with the kids- someone posted a site here on another thread that lists a bunch of learning games, etc.........I'll see if I can find it.

:asian: :karate:

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can't seem to locate the exact site I was thinking of.......but here are some previously posted ideas that are really good. Look under the Kenpo/Kempo General section at threads titled "Your Favorite Game or Drill" and also "Instructor's Tips Wanted." There is also some good stuff mentioned in the Kenpo Tech. discussion area under the title "Kenpo Kids".......hope that helps some.

:asian: :karate:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's the format for the Kids class that I use, using the I.K.K.O. Regiment.

Start off the class with the Line up Creed & Pledge(s).

Warmup's (Pushups-crunches-stretches)

Freestyle Techniques

Fundamentals -( IE; Orange Belt )
Stances,blocks,parries,punches,strikes,Finger tecs,Kicks,Foot manuevers.

Coordination exercises (arm and leg)

Work the Techniques -alone then with a partner
Vary with Tec Lines
Between the Physical activity I toss out Vocabulary words, Sayings, etc.

Sets
Form

Sparring
We generally spar the kids class only once a week.

hope this helps :)

Tess

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In case people hadn't realised, Dave (or Titan as he likes to be called!) is my co-instructor here in England, so this thread is for both him and me really - for that reason I'd like to thank everyone for their input!

It's difficult for us because having a cut down system, we don't have as much to draw on as a traditional EPAK school, and so don't have as big a variety of things to train in.

But, I don't really feel comfortable re-introducing too much in case the head of our organisation doesn't take kindly to it. We don't do any of the forms, any of the freestyle techniques or any weapons*, yet there alone there is a wealth of new stuff that we could introduce for both kids and seniors, so that people are seeing some new material and having their interest renewed.

Dave asked me earlier in an e-mail if I had any ideas and I said yes...basically, I'd like to start putting more actual American Kenpo back into the syllabus, but I can just see us getting a telling off for it if certain people find out....!

Back to kenpolotics again, it seems unavoidable doesn't it? :(

Ian.

* although we now have a weapons syllabus in development, but, nobody to show us it!

OP
T

Titan Uk

Many thanks to everyone who has so far made posting.
Every bit helps.

I will look at the threads that have been suggested. Just to let people know I am not one for using forums but when I saw this one I thought I would give it a try.

I have to say it is one of the best things I have ever done.

Hopefully with the ideas I will be able to get back to training properly myself. It's coming up to nearly 2 years now.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few different things that I would do when I would teach. Sometimes, I'd sit down prior to the class and write an plan out, thereby giving myself an exact breakdown of how long to spend in each area. Of course, this would not always work, due to the fact that if you gear the plan assuming you're going to have a large class, and then only 2 people show up, the plan is pretty much out the window. Also, taking into consideration the ages and ranks of the students, you want to make sure that what you're teaching is not going to be too hard/easy.

Another thing to keep in mind is to try and gear the class from the beginning in the direction that you want to end. For example, if I'm planning on work alot of kicks that day, I'll concentrate more on stretching. If I was going to be doing a tech. that included locks, I'd start them off by making sure that they had a good understanding of the locks before we got into the tech. Having them work SD, and then going into a tech. line is another option.

IMO, from what I've seen from the classes that I've taught, is that its very important to constantly keep everybody moving. By doing this, you'll also keep the attention of the class. Once things start to slow down and the room loses its energy, you'll slowly start losing the interest of the class.

Good luck!

Mike

Latest Discussions