Legit Martial art?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's legit in that he's a real person, with real training and experience in the stuff he's teaching.

But I personally have a problem with this:
In 2004 he abdicated his former black belt rankings assuming the title Kancho - Creator and Founder of Budokon International

He's synthesized and integrated his studies in several martial arts and yoga; that's great. Why not simply say that, and let history decide if he created something new?

One late addition...

After checking the links on the Budokon site a little, I see where at least one person with what seems a solid yoga background got teacher certification in everything in a year or less. I'm kind of skeptical on that...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe this is actually a sort of new-agey exercise class based on martial arts movement. My health club offers classes in this.

I have not had any interest in exploring this so I am commenting on only a superficial knowledge, based on the fliers I have seen at my club.

It seems the founder has a background in a couple of martial arts, as well as yoga. Maybe he's actually good. Maybe he's not. I don't know.

But he has developed an exercise class taught in health clubs, and that's what I believe it is. It seems he certifies instructors to teach his course, but I don't think you could consider them to be martial arts instructors. Instead, they are exercise instructors and personal trainers.

I have never seen the class advertised as anything more than exercise. I've never seen any reference to learning any kind of useful self-defense skills, or anything like that.