Leathernecks

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Running amok in this sense occasionally happens in prisons--the Russian Martial Arts board at Vlad Vasiliev's site had an interesting post about this a while back.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
Running amok in this sense occasionally happens in prisons--the Russian Martial Arts board at Vlad Vasiliev's site had an interesting post about this a while back.

Interestin, could you expand from memory?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was a very detailed post about long-timers who flipped out, taped a shank to their hand, smeared their arms with vaseline of another slippery substance (don't ask), and went crazy shanking people until they were stopped--which was tough.

L

Leo Daher

Very interesting post about the differences between the rites of Magsabil and simply "running amok", Federico. Thanks for sharing.

M

Mormegil

The Leatherneck story I heard is a variation. I was told that Leathernecks were REISSUED in the Philippine Islands during the "Insurrection" to help against Juromentado beheadings.

I don't know if that's accurate either.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a myth that the Marines had leather collars in the Phillipines. No photographic evidence or written accounts of this happening exist that I know of. It isn't in any history of the Marine Corps that I've ever read. When I was in the Marines, this wasn't the lore that was taught.

Its a MYTH. Let's dispel it.

Think about it...are you going to tell a bunch of Jarheads to wear leather collars in the heat of South East Asia in order to protect their necks against BARONGS? Those things will take off hands, arms, legs, and cleave through the top of heads from the eyebrows up. Why wear that ONE piece of armor?

Heck, the Marines would be ripping them off. Can you imagine anything more uncomfortable in that humidity...and on patrol in the jungle? Gad.

"Marines fighting in the Philippine (sic) Insurrection...usually wore the soft field hat, khaki trousers and leggings and blue wool flannel shirts. Wool flannel, once soaked with sweat, was thought to be cooler than cotton. Mustard-colored flannel shirts came later and sere worn by Marines as late as the Korean War."

--The Marines
Edwin Howard Simmons, Editor in Chief
J. Rober Moskin, Editor
Marine Corps Heritage Foundation
Page 142 (photo caption)

The same book gives the time period of the leather collar being worn the Continental Marines.

The term "leatherneck" is discussed here:

http://www.southcoastsar.org/Leathernecks.htm

http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/ftw/files/lore63.txt

The stock collar was largely for dress purposes, was dropped after 1859, and never used again.

Ever the gadfly,

Steve Scott

Latest Discussions