Different Filipino Weapons

D

DRAVEN

Just wondering if there were different weapons used based on reigons. Like who used what. Trying to find out what the ancient Bicol warriors used, espeacially from Camarines Sur. I can only find photos of the Kailinga tribe from the north and Moro tribes from the south. Any help will ba appreciated, tryin to know my roots. THANX

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Rich,

Don't know how accurate this is but this is what I was told. If you hear conflicting or supportive stories let me know.

Indonesian influence in the south due to location and because the Spanish didn't conquer that area. Moro type weapons like barong, Kris, kerambit

European influence in the Central where the Spanish did occupy. Longer thinner saber blades for example as well as use of sticks from the weapons ban.

Agricultural influence in the North. Bolos and other "farmer" type weapons similar to Okinawa. I think the Igorots were also from the north, but I'm not sure. Shields, spears, bow and arrow.

Somebody set me straight!

Andy

OP
K

krys

Hello Rich,

Here are some southern filipino weapons from the muslim areas:

Short Kris (only for stabing), Kris sword, Pyra, Barong, Kampilan, Bolo, many different knives, bow, sling, spear, staff, rope, malong..... buntot pagi.

Mabuhay ang filipino Silat at Arnis.
Christian.

OP
D

DRAVEN

kewl, my parents had bolos, but didn't everyone. LOL, some of my uncles have a "Porty-Pibe" too....lol

anyway, thanx for some info. if anyone has more please reply.
p.s. Hey Andy, I havn't forgot, i'm still editing the drills for you...
RICH

OP
F

Federico

Check out the Ethnographic Edge Weapons Resource Site or EEWRS
For more information on Philippine weaponry. The forum is quite knowledgeable.

OP
K

kenpo12

What kind of a weapon is a barong? Last time I checked "barong referred to a traditional shirt or a dance. In what dialect or tribe is this weapon referred to as a barong?

Thanks

Matt

OP
K

krys

The barong is a large leaf shaped blade.
It is one of the favorite weapons of the Tausug (and Yakan) tribes of Sulu-Basilan.....
It is said that an expert with a barong can cut a man in two......

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo12
What kind of a weapon is a barong? Last time I checked "barong referred to a traditional shirt or a dance. In what dialect or tribe is this weapon referred to as a barong?

Thanks

Matt

The word barong is very ecclectic.

The dance is part of a Indonesian Balinese Hindu story/opera. Ironically the main characters/components are called the barong and keris, the names of common weapons of the area.

The shirt is a shear white shirt that is traditional and often seen in weddings and casually too. I have heard that it is shear so that peole can see if you are carrying a blade or weapon.

The weapon, sometimes refered to as a barung, is a "leaf shaped" sword that was common through out the Philippines, but mostly associated with the moro of the south. While the barong is distinct in its shape, it is possible to tell differances in design per tribe/island/area. This is also hard though do to cross-contamination between tribes and the common practice of changing parts of a weapon that was won in combat but that is from a different tribe/island/area. Essentially customizing a beaten opponent's design.

FMA weps are my passion.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by krys
The barong is a large leaf shaped blade.
It is one of the favorite weapons of the Tausug (and Yakan) tribes of Sulu-Basilan.....
It is said that an expert with a barong can cut a man in two......

Damn you beat me to it.

The barong is also quite common in the Maranao and Maguindanao tribes of Mindanao.

OP
F

Federico

Oulobo, where'd you get your classification of barongs? As well as information concerning Mindanao based barongs? Here is a picture of a barong.
Ivorybarong_.jpg

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Federico

Classifications? All I gave was a general discription of the weapon and the other meanings/associations of the word.

The Mindanao barongs I'm refering to are the contempory ones that are flooding the local markets. They are close to traditional design, but they are recognizable as not authentic. I think they are hand made so I mention them also. There are also quite a few drifters that turn up in the markets in Mindanao that come from across the strait from Sulu and Borneo. I know what you are getting at and I reconize Sulu and Palawan as the historical home of the barong. My sources include second hand accounts of visits and the EEWF. BTW nice to see a familiar face on this forum too.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was told the same thing, that the Barong Tagalog (the shirt) was so the Spaniards could tell if locals were carrying blades underneath, don't know if this true or more folklore. I asked Professor Presas about this and he looked at me like I was crazy and kept saying its a shirt, its just a shirt...but very nice! Something to strenthen the argument against, I thought it was usually worn by rich busnessmen or politicians during its invention. It doesn't look likea shirt a common person on the street might wear. I just got 2 very nice Barong Tagalogs from my mother-in-law, I love wearing them for formal occasions, what other shirt can your wear to a formal event untucked? For those not familiar, the fabric is a woven from pineapple leaves which is very fine and transparent, its really cool.

Andy

OP
F

Federico

Oulobo in your previous post you had stated
While the barong is distinct in its shape, it is possible to tell differances in design per tribe/island/area.
which made me wonder if something new has been published, as since as far as I knew the only distinct style was Yakan. Especially with the Mindanao reference, figured that maybe there was a new book or something out(cant keep up with everything). Always looking for new theories/resources. Id like to be able to tell the difference between Samal and Tausug barong, or if they are from Tawi Tawi or Jolo.

As for barong sword vs barong tagalog shirt vs barong mask. Spelling can be misleading. Particularly with Moro words, their romanization is often arbitrary, done willy nilly by Westerners often very unfamiliar with the area/traditions/peoples. Hence the variety of spellings one can even see for the word kris. From kris, creese, keris, kalis, etc... All phonetically sound the same, however all are Western attempts at romanizing foreign words, and thus their spelling has no innate connection to the native. Part of the reason I argue against claiming kali comes from kalis. Since while romanized they seem similar, phonetically they are vastly different.

As for the Barong Tagalog shirt being forced upon filipinos so Spaniard could see if theyre wearing weapons, as far as I can tell its just a legend with no basis in fact. Looking at period pics of the everyday wear of Christian Filipinos would seem to suggest that transparent shirts werent of the norm. Even older barong tagalogs werent as transparent as some of the newer ones. As has also been suggested barong tagalogs are formal shirts, worn by the rich (like a business suit).

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Federico
Oulobo in your previous post you had stated which made me wonder if something new has been published, as since as far as I knew the only distinct style was Yakan. Especially with the Mindanao reference, figured that maybe there was a new book or something out(cant keep up with everything). Always looking for new theories/resources. Id like to be able to tell the difference between Samal and Tausug barong, or if they are from Tawi Tawi or Jolo.

No, I haven't seen anything new in terms of publications or theories. I wish I had. Just the usual stuff from Stone and Cato. I was more or less just regurgitating the general stuff. However, as a question, what do you consider the Shandigan barong? Is this just a different style or is it from someplace/ tribe in specific.

As for the pronunciations, I had to ask some help on these. I'm not going to go through the whole kali vs. arnis/eskrima issue, only because it had been done to death here before (I think there is still some bad blood lingering). The other phoenetic terms I just use for convention's sake. Its easier to use the term everyone else is and just tell them about the different terms, than it is to try to get them to use the other more correct terms. For instance I have found kris is generally used for the moro/filipino weapon and keris is more to describe the Indonesian version.

I'm glad you brought up the barong mask. I had forgotten about that. That is a fourth common usage of the word. For those of you who don't know, the hand carved masks or plaques that resmble demons are also called barongs.

The last time I heard anything specific about the shirts was that it was used in weddings. I'm not sure I put much credance in the Spaniards claim, but everyone seems to love a good story.

OP
K

kenpo12

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too sure about the claim that it's see through to check for weapons either, as I've seen quite a few barongs that aren't see through. I don't know about the usage of the shirt in the past but today it's worn as a formal shirt, it would be worn to what Americans might wear a nice suit or a tuxedo, eg. wedding, formal dinner, or a debutante. At least that is what I've seen and my understanding.

Matt

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always thought that the see through Barong was just formal wear. It doesn't seem that they would have been forced by Spaniards, as people mostly only wore them for formal occasions, not every day.

My 2 cents...

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These cold steels have been on ebay for a couple of months already. They were down to $45.00 last time I checked.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that Leo. The Barong doesn't look bad, but its missing the metal ferrule (collar) around the throat of the handle. It looks kind of weak with just the wood and two small pins holding it. I doubt that anyone would use it for heavy chopping (kind of expensive to use as a machete or ax), but that metal collar is more for just looks, it really strengthens the handle to blade connection.

I have this one from Atlanta Cutlery http://www.atlantacutlery.com/ethnic.html
its heavy steel but not sharpened. I use it more for training than actual use, but I guess you could sharpen it if you wanted an actual working barong. Suckers heavy - about 1/4 along the spline that tapers down to the edge, quality is good, but the sheath came overly laquered. I ended up sanding it all off and finishing the natural wood.

Latest Discussions