Learning the Equation Formula

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
preffixing takes a little thought on some techniques ,bu i personally will suffix five swords to just about every technique i do. once i was practicing thrusting prongs in class and my instructor says to suffix it. so i go from thrusting prongs to five swords and then straight to aggressive twins.now i do it all the time.

Hi
I know what you mean, but strictly speaking are you sure that this is suffixing, would grafting or compounding be more accurate.
Respectfully
Rich

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi
I know what you mean, but strictly speaking are you sure that this is suffixing, would grafting or compounding be more accurate.
Respectfully
Rich

I'd say for people with a lot of experience like yourself Rich, it's good to work on those things. But teachers should find one way they want something done, and teach that one way to their students, and give them the opportunity to learn and make it work.

Students tend to be bombarded by what if's, rearrangements, and a long list of physical possibilities, when they just really want to be shown something that they can have confidence will actually work. Its fine to itellectualize, AFTER they learn to defend themselves. :)

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its fine to itellectualize, AFTER they learn to defend themselves. :)

That's the "outside the box" thinking that's gets you in trouble in kenpo-land, Cap'n. Kenpo is not supposed to be practical or useful; it is meant solely as a heady, intellectual pursuit to distract people from their problems and wallets from thier money. Then you come along and tell us we should be able to make it work! Pah!

Be good,

Dr. Dave

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i found the equation formula to be a perfect example of one of the weaknesses of kenpo.

in many ways, kenpo is 'karate for the geek in us', by which i mean it's an attempt to deeply analyze, quantify, label and define what makes martial arts work.

there are strengths in this. a quality kenpo black belt can go forth and learn just about anything else out there -- you've seen a piece of it before in your kenpo and start at the head of the class. also, martial arts geekery can be fun.

but sometimes we go too far. the equation formula is a fancy way of teaching people to experiment. by trying to quantify what is ultimately something spontaneous and creative, it tends to stifle spontenaiety and creativity.

better to just master the technique as written and then say 'what else might we do with this theme?'. i've found my students understand and apply the concept much faster with that presentation than when we asked them to memorize the equation formula.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i found the equation formula to be a perfect example of one of the weaknesses of kenpo.

in many ways, kenpo is 'karate for the geek in us', by which i mean it's an attempt to deeply analyze, quantify, label and define what makes martial arts work.

there are strengths in this. a quality kenpo black belt can go forth and learn just about anything else out there -- you've seen a piece of it before in your kenpo and start at the head of the class. also, martial arts geekery can be fun.

but sometimes we go too far. the equation formula is a fancy way of teaching people to experiment. by trying to quantify what is ultimately something spontaneous and creative, it tends to stifle spontenaiety and creativity.

better to just master the technique as written and then say 'what else might we do with this theme?'. i've found my students understand and apply the concept much faster with that presentation than when we asked them to memorize the equation formula.
The weakness is in relying soley on the techniques to learn the art. They are just a tool, and realizing that its OK to delete a kick here and there, or throw any given move at the end of a tech is important... really!
Sean

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
The weakness is in relying soley on the techniques to learn the art. They are just a tool, and realizing that its OK to delete a kick here and there, or throw any given move at the end of a tech is important... really!
Sean

True, but let the instructors make that decision, not the student.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'd say for people with a lot of experience like yourself Rich, it's good to work on those things. But teachers should find one way they want something done, and teach that one way to their students, and give them the opportunity to learn and make it work.

Students tend to be bombarded by what if's, rearrangements, and a long list of physical possibilities, when they just really want to be shown something that they can have confidence will actually work. Its fine to itellectualize, AFTER they learn to defend themselves. :)

You know Doc, the more I train and teach the truer I am finding the above to be.
cheers Rich
ps thanks for the compliment, Sir.