Late Students

O

OC Kid

How do you or what is your schools policy when students show up late for a class. If they are to late say we are pass the warm ups and into the intstruction, I wont let them in. If its before the instruction begins Ill make them do some push ups or sit ups /kicks ect before they can enter the class. What is you guys or your schools policy on students coming in late?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't teach, but I'm a total nut about being on time. If you're not early, or at least JUST on time, you missed it. Go home. That mentality comes from my small business management experience. I just have not found a better way to deal with it. I have no time for someone who can't respect MY time. Good Question OC.

OP
O

OC Kid

Thank you I read the thread it was interesting. But now one question that wasnt asked, in my case where its a back yard dojo and I do it for free, One of the rules I give is if they cant make it call, some do and some dont, but when they do its usually after the class is supposed to start and Im there with no one or just my son. It gets pretty frustrating which is why I am begining to charge.

At the rec center believe it or not last thursday a mother shows up with her her daughter with 10 mins left in the class period. I just waved her off and sent her home.
Another question do you extend the class period for a late student? I had the mothers drop junior off late maybe a 1/2 hour and wait a full hour of more to pick him back up.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The student is paying for the time on the floor, so I have always let them in. I know some peopel don't view it that way but sometimes people are unavoidably detained. If I was told taht I could not be in class if I could not be there at the beginning of teh class I would be looking for a new school.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can understand if 5-10 min late into class once in a while, but 10 minutes left of class, now that's too late. Like you, I would have done the same thing to "wave off the student" and not teach.

If you have a structured schedule, then I would not extend a class just because a student is late. If you have a "backyard dojo" and only a student or two, then I guess if the instructor has the time and flexibility, then that's up to the instructor whether to extend.

Regardless of the situation whether privately taught or in a group, the student (if being late can be known in advance) should let the instructor know before class starts.

If a student is habitually late, the instructor does need to know if there are extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student. If it is simply an issue of time management, then a discussion should be made privately about being on time to facilitate maximum learning/teaching experiences.

- Ceicei

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If a person was to be more than half the class late I would tell them there is no sense in getting changed. But a few minutes late is no big deal.

OP
C

Chrono

We don't really do anything if we're late. Just make sure that the instructor recognizes us and bows us on the mat then we just slip on in. However, I don't like to rush just to make it on time. That's why I make sure I get there at least fifteen minutes before class.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With kids what I'm finding is that parents want their kids to "do everything". A lot of times their coming to class after music lessons, tennis lessons, youth sports, tutoring, dance class, etc, etc. Half of them are just stressed out because of all the activities and homework their doing. If their late it's usually because their parents have them doing something else before class, and then rush them to class.

With adults its other reasons. Some are coaching their kids youth sports, working overtime, taking night classes, going to parent-teacher nights.
Very few people and kids have the freedom to dedicate themselves completly to their martial arts training. Those that do will progress faster, and learn more. But those that still hang in there even though it's a lot easier to sit at home in front of the TV have value too. One way to look at it is that their fees are helping to keep the school open for the more dedicated students.

Simple fact of life in my school. Promotions are based on the "3 A's", Attitude, Ability, and Attendance. If your going to be late a lot, and miss classes, your not going to progress as fast as others. The choice is up to the students.

Latest Discussions