Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hoo boy today was a rough day. I'm sitting in my driveway after getting off work and for twenty minutes I'm just chilling. Watching the birds in the yard eat seed, and then it struck me like a semi truck. This is kinda nice, which causes me to realize, I'm getting old! My thirtieth birthday was last april. This ain't funny no more, man! I wanna go to the gym now to counterbalance this dark magic, but I don't wanna drive forty-five minutes right now.
not wanting to drive 45 minutes.... I don't know.... sounds old lazy and complacent to me....ya geezer

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hoo boy today was a rough day. I'm sitting in my driveway after getting off work and for twenty minutes I'm just chilling. Watching the birds in the yard eat seed, and then it struck me like a semi truck. This is kinda nice, which causes me to realize, I'm getting old! My thirtieth birthday was last april. This ain't funny no more, man! I wanna go to the gym now to counterbalance this dark magic, but I don't wanna drive forty-five minutes right now.
Make the drive, you will be glad for it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we could have pooled our money and gotten you a cane, old man!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife's been working as a standardized patient for the last few months. Basically for doctors trying to get specific accreditations/licenses, they're presented with a (normally difficult) situation, one where per the scenario they normally messed up, and she acts the part of the upset patient/patient's loved one.

Some of her stories about how they act towards her are wild. I get it, I've seen doctors actually act that way. But to a fake patient, in a filmed setting where you've just spent a ton of money trying to get a license, to be the same level of a-hole is crazy to me.

They'll outright lie to her to make the conversation easier (I don't think they register that she's seen the whole scenario), say they can't talk to her for hipaa (the scenario specifically says that they can) to try to avoid it, show her no empathy whatsoever, try to blame everything on fictional other doctor, condescend or just overly sarcastic. One guy, again on a filmed test for their license, tried to hit on her, not 100% on that), and when that didn't work, moved closer to her and started touching her leg.

There are others who go the opposite direction and will start tearing up, apparently. Which, having read the scenarios and knowing how my wife can act, I get.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife's been working as a standardized patient for the last few months. Basically for doctors trying to get specific accreditations/licenses, they're presented with a (normally difficult) situation, one where per the scenario they normally messed up, and she acts the part of the upset patient/patient's loved one.

Some of her stories about how they act towards her are wild. I get it, I've seen doctors actually act that way. But to a fake patient, in a filmed setting where you've just spent a ton of money trying to get a license, to be the same level of a-hole is crazy to me.

They'll outright lie to her to make the conversation easier (I don't think they register that she's seen the whole scenario), say they can't talk to her for hipaa (the scenario specifically says that they can) to try to avoid it, show her no empathy whatsoever, try to blame everything on fictional other doctor, condescend or just overly sarcastic. One guy, again on a filmed test for their license, tried to hit on her, not 100% on that), and when that didn't work, moved closer to her and started touching her leg.

There are others who go the opposite direction and will start tearing up, apparently. Which, having read the scenarios and knowing how my wife can act, I get.
they know it's a license test?
Shows you how detached docs are from reality and mankind....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
30?! Get off my lawn, you whippersnapper!!

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Both my father-in-law and mother-in-law are retired nurses. Oh the stories about doctors they tell!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not only is it a license test. It's a license test that they (or their offices) paid hundreds of dollars for. And likely flew them out for, since this is the only testing hospital in the US for it.
I'd be on my best behavior and showing the absolute best care I could, if I were in their position.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as the support staff below nurses, they have even better ones.
I guess that I’m used to having PAs around. Ours were absolutely fantastic and were not socially awkward.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s clearly an effective assessment and hopefully they did not receive their license without at least retraining, addressing their specific deficiencies.

A medical doctor is simply a person who’s good at examinations and thus some of them will be d*ckheads, kn*bscratchers and tos*pots. The same applies to fighter pilots, astronauts, accountants, police officers etc etc.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both my father-in-law and mother-in-law are retired nurses. Oh the stories about doctors they tell!
Have you heard of British nurses, Lucy Letsby? Beverly Allitt?😉

My friend was the first person to discover and report his suspicions of Letby (which was ignored by hospital managers) and, as a child, I was a patient on the ward Nurse Allitt did her killing!

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you heard of British nurses, Lucy Letsby? Beverly Allitt?😉

My friend was the first person to discover and report his suspicions of Letby (which was ignored by hospital managers) and, as a child, I was a patient on the ward Nurse Allitt did her killing!
I never really moved in medical circles. I’m sure we can find bad actors in all professions.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never really moved in medical circles. I’m sure we can find bad actors in all professions.
Do look up Lucy Letby and what she did…’bad actor’ doesn’t even begin to cover it!

I’m just making the point that medical doctors aren’t the only bad people in the medical profession. I was in a hospital today and the behaviour of some of the other patients was extraordinarily bad: entitled and rude.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do look up Lucy Letby and what she did…’bad actor’ doesn’t even begin to cover it!

I’m just making the point that medical doctors aren’t the only bad people in the medical profession. I was in a hospital today and the behaviour of some of the other patients was extraordinarily bad: entitled and rude.
I imagine so. I was never a good patient either, but then again I have grown to hate hospitals.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine so. I was never a good patient either, but then again I have grown to hate hospitals.
I grew up in them and so they feel homely to me! When I was a kid, on Christmas day consultant’s children had to go onto the wards to hand out presents to those unfortunate to be inpatients. When I worked in hospitals I was generally forced (yes forced) by the nursing staff to dress up as Father Christmas to hand out presents to the patient. One old geezer remarked that I was a bit too dark skinned to be Santa. I told him that’s because I spend the summer in the Caribbean 😉

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A medical doctor is simply a person who’s good at examinations
Apparently these particular people are not good at this particular type of examination. Hopefully the people who are grading them one the test are indeed failing them for the license based on their behavior.

I have seen a huge variation in the expertise and people skills and character of various doctors I have encountered over the years. I'm very grateful that the doctors my wife and I have currently are very good in all these aspects.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a huge variation in the expertise and people skills and character of various doctors I have encountered over the years. I'm very grateful that the doctors my wife and I have currently are very good in all these aspects.
Same with plumbers, builders, lawyers, motor mechanics, dentists etc When you find a good on, hold onto them.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same with plumbers, builders, lawyers, motor mechanics, dentists etc When you find a good on, hold onto them.
Don’t forget barbers! Why is it so hard to find good ones?

Latest Discussions