Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Dunno. I've been told that the only thing worse than working is.... Not working.

I've been an artist (sculptor), potter and martial artist ...but could never support myself with those interests. Years back I used to think that I could finally have the time to do those things seriously when I retired, but now that I'm getting older, my body can't keep up due to age and injuries. Not just a matter of getting in shape.

If I weren't so ADHD, maybe I'd just read more! ;)
Are you able to do them at all? Pottery can be hard on the back. I dabbled with it some and loved it. Fell out of pottery when the studio I belonged to closed during the pandemic.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well it's Friday night folks. I'm gonna watch some jet li and have a little movie night for myself. I've seen this movie before it's called "the one" I like the fighting scenes and martial arts in it alot. And it's a good story. I think the only jet li movie I haven't seen yet is "Romeo must die" but I own that on DVD, have so many dvds that they are in separate totes. The one with Romeo must die in it the top is being used to store some graphic novels. So not tonight, maybe next weekend I'll do some spring cleaning and finally watch that one. Hope all is well with you all.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Dunno. I've been told that the only thing worse than working is.... Not working.

I've been an artist (sculptor), potter and martial artist ...but could never support myself with those interests. Years back I used to think that I could finally have the time to do those things seriously when I retired, but now that I'm getting older, my body can't keep up due to age and injuries. Not just a matter of getting in shape.

Hey speaking of pottery, i watched the Great Canadian Pottery Throwdown on YouTube with my daughter last week. If you’re not familiar, it’s basically a competition. Ten potters do challenges each week and one person is eliminated until there’s a winner.

This was really fun. The potters were all exceptionally talented.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey speaking of pottery, i watched the Great Canadian Pottery Throwdown on YouTube with my daughter last week. If you’re not familiar, it’s basically a competition. Ten potters do challenges each week and one person is eliminated until there’s a winner.

This was really fun. The potters were all exceptionally talented.
Yeah- that's a fun show. I liked the British version too. I felt like they had better potters on the Canadian version though.
Are you able to do them at all? Pottery can be hard on the back. I dabbled with it some and loved it.
I mostly handbuild, and when I throw I don't throw big stuff anymore ...and I throw standing which is way easier on the back. Learned how from an artist-potter who learned his throwing skills in the 70s as a production potter at one of the last old production studios in North America in Marshall Texas. That pottery plant had a throwing room that had been in continuous operation since the end of the Civil War until it closed down in 2015.

According to what this guy told me, the old potters he worked with there learned the trade from their daddies and grand-daddies in a continuous, unbroken lineage going back to the Old World. And he learned hands-on from them. Comparing that to how most of us learn is like comparing learning Martial Arts in a centuries old lineage vs learning something from your your buddies who learned it from a book.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah- that's a fun show. I liked the British version too. I felt like they had better potters on the Canadian version though.

I mostly handbuild, and when I throw I don't throw big stuff anymore ...and I throw standing which is way easier on the back. Learned how from an artist-potter who learned his throwing skills in the 70s as a production potter at one of the last old production studios in North America in Marshall Texas. That pottery plant had a throwing room that had been in continuous operation since the end of the Civil War until it closed down in 2015.

According to what this guy told me, the old potters he worked with there learned the trade from their daddies and grand-daddies in a continuous, unbroken lineage going back to the Old World. And he learned hands-on from them. Comparing that to how most of us learn is like comparing learning Martial Arts in a centuries old lineage vs learning something from your your buddies who learned it from a book.
I have a couple pieces of Marshall pottery. One of my favorite bowls that’s pretty new (maybe 20 years old now) and a pitcher that was my grandmother’s that’s quite old (though I’m not sure how old). Distinctive brown with blue lines.

Don’t run into too many people who mention Marshall pottery.

There’s another great shop in Castroville, TX that’s a bit of a spiritual successor.

Attachments

• IMG_3500.jpeg
    IMG_3500.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3499.jpeg
    IMG_3499.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that’s a fib made by those who want our tax revenue! It’s not so much the work that’s tiresome, it’s that odd person who makes it unpleasant, the machiavellian fly in the ointment. There’s nothing I miss about a 45min commute into a grey ‘brutalist’ workplace, full of moaning people, turning on my PC to 100 emails from whinging students who can’t be bothered to stretch their brains a little and think.
This is why I retired so early, while I was fit and healthy and I’m glad I did. I’ve watched videos of marble sculpting and it looks brutal on the body.
That’s the one good thing about retirement, reading and accruing so much knowledge. But it’s like masturbation in that it’s a lot of fun, but ultimately fruitless. There must be a lot of old men, heads filled with knowledge and experience, who expire in a hospital bed with nobody else having the faintest inkling of that. A cheery thought, eh? 😄

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m retired, but I miss my profession. I just can’t physically do it anymore. Retirement is pretty great though!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I’m with gyakuto in that I’m planning to retire fairly young. I want to retire while I’m healthy enough to enjoy it. Thinking a few more years and calling it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I may have this all wrong. Are you talking about a “romantic scene” or a “sex scene”?

Big difference between the two. Sure, one can be part of the other, but the reverse is not always true. Which one are we discussing?
Nora Roberts writes sex. Not pr0n, but is not leaving much out. I mean, she is not using anatomical terms, but you get the gist of the events. No fade to black. So the female lead does get involved with the guy (brother of a childhood friend) which is fine. the bedroom scene is jarring in the story. Normally her romance center around the 'passion' but in this case the thriller is the main theme.
Does that explain it? It's a good book though.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nora Roberts writes sex. Not pr0n, but is not leaving much out. I mean, she is not using anatomical terms, but you get the gist of the events. No fade to black. So the female lead does get involved with the guy (brother of a childhood friend) which is fine. the bedroom scene is jarring in the story. Normally her romance center around the 'passion' but in this case the thriller is the main theme.
Does that explain it? It's a good book though.
It does, thank you.
I haven’t read her in years.
I’ll get Carolina Moon this week.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Had a dream last night where I found caught someone trying to rob (or pickpocket) me, and I was chasing them down. Kept trying to throw leg kicks at them, but for some reason as soon as I started the motion, there was this weight on my leg that stopped me. After a few times, I powered through the weight...and kicked the blanket straight off me and my wife, and onto my dog.

He spent the next half hour staring at me until I got up and took him for a walk, two hours earlier than planned.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had a dream last night where I found caught someone trying to rob (or pickpocket) me, and I was chasing them down. Kept trying to throw leg kicks at them, but for some reason as soon as I started the motion, there was this weight on my leg that stopped me. After a few times, I powered through the weight...and kicked the blanket straight off me and my wife, and onto my dog.

He spent the next half hour staring at me until I got up and took him for a walk, two hours earlier than planned.
You were a victim of Makura-Gaeshi! He is tattooed on my right shin. He is a Yokai that flips your pillow around and causes sleep paralysis.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

In Japan little kids keep a small statue of a Baku( tattooed on my right thigh) and if they have a disturbing dream they say Baku come eat my dreams three times. The more disturbing part is that Baku may eat your hopes and aspirations as well if the dream isn’t satisfying enough, so don’t call Baku unless it’s a very bad dream. Shinto Yokai folklore stuff is cool.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hmm…this means you’re going to travel overseas and meet a tall dark stranger…

Latest Discussions