Last Poster #7

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
a coworker heard that I like fantasy novels and recommended a book. The first half of the book read like a kind of bad YA novel, but not the worst. About halfway through the book, it took a turn. And that’s how I learned about a new genre of books: romantasy. Ugh.

If you like it, great. Not my cup of tea.

Yeah I’m curious too. Used to be very active. Mostly Brits, IIRC.
unfortunately it seems that every genre now has to turn into some sort of romance.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it gets in the way.
I read Carolina Moon by Nora Roberts a while back. If you are not familiar with her, she is prolific and also writes crimies under 'JD Robb'
Anyhow, as Nora Roberts, it's a saucy romance.
Turns out, it was a kick-butt thriller, and the saucy parts were so out of place.
Even YA fiction has to have romance now. I have been informed that this is a rather recent development.
And I think it's not a good one. But what do I know.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this is good. But it's a training tip I developed and it works for me. If I promise myself a treat after my training it makes me push harder and want to train. If I don't do the task I don't get the treat. It's like a hamster on a wheel while the guy on the outside puts a string with some cheese on the end to make the hamster run then when the task is completed it gets the cheese. There's an episode on big bang where Sheldon does this to Penny to promote the behavior he wants subconsciously to her. He keeps giving her chocolate. But yeah doing a physically hard thing makes me push through it when I know if I do it I get to reward myself. And it's working pretty good, I'm breaking prs for myself. Other than using rat positive behavior tricks on my training everything is going alright. I'm making tacos for dinner. It was like 60 degrees out today, feels so good. Yup I'm a mainer when 60 degrees feels like heaven. But I'm not complaining. Hope you all had a good day.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yesterday, I was in Best buy waiting for Geek Squard service. 2 old ladies was talking to a young girl and hoped they would be young again. I asked those 2 old ladies, "Do you want to go through that young girl's life all over again?"

After I have retired for over 21 years, I just can't image for me to go through that 8 to 5 daily life again.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After I have retired for over 21 years, I just can't image for me to go through that 8 to 5 daily life again.
Maybe it's different if you have a "comfortable" retirement. I'm turning 69 this summer and can't imagine being retired. Honestly, I'm kinda scared of the idea.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished my Thursday afternoon beginners class. They looked good, and I believe they are ready for their promotion test on Saturday. I’m very proud of these kids!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I didn't sleep much last night due to the GERD and Pleurisy, in bed by 11:30, up at 12:30, up at 1:30 gave up trying to sleep and got up at 3:30am, in the ER from 4:30 to 8:30....and now.... I think I've gone as far as I can go today......I'm getting real sleepy.... I think I am going to take a nap

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
unfortunately it seems that every genre now has to turn into some sort of romance.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it gets in the way.
I read Carolina Moon by Nora Roberts a while back. If you are not familiar with her, she is prolific and also writes crimies under 'JD Robb'
Anyhow, as Nora Roberts, it's a saucy romance.
Turns out, it was a kick-butt thriller, and the saucy parts were so out of place.
Even YA fiction has to have romance now. I have been informed that this is a rather recent development.
And I think it's not a good one. But what do I know.
I don’t think it works in some genres. Unless..

If the writer intends on doing it from the beginning it’s not going to work. But in some cases if the relationship “writes itself” it might work just fine.

What I mean is, the characters drive the story. If a story is plotted out in advance by the writer, everybody reading it is going to know what’s going to happen long before the book reveals it. Because people that generally read books - read a lot of books.

If the relationship comes from the characters doing whatever it is they’re doing through the novel, they just might have a moment that grows. That can work just fine sometimes.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t think it works in some genres. Unless..

If the writer intends on doing it from the beginning it’s not going to work. But in some cases if the relationship “writes itself” it might work just fine.

What I mean is, the characters drive the story. If a story is plotted out in advance by the writer, everybody reading it is going to know what’s going to happen long before the book reveals it. Because people that generally read books - read a lot of books.

If the relationship comes from the characters doing whatever it is they’re doing through the novel, they just might have a moment that grows. That can work just fine sometimes.
true. In the above mentioned book the relationship could have stayed out of the bedroom. the story was not the romance.
I definitely recommend the book, but you can skip over the bedroom scenes and not miss a thing.
However, it seems that old people with needs in charge of the industry seem to insist that all stories have 'ships' in them.
To a point that even juvies are not exempt from it.
Like all teen movies revolve around getting laid. That is just not so in my memory. Then again, I might have been running with an utterly mild crowd, our 'gang' consisted of 3 girls and 5 or so guys. And none of that wild shagging ever occurred.
I think we owe it to the world to have books without gratuitous shagging. Especially at the younger ages.
Because it is ok to not be doing it. And I am by no means against it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
true. In the above mentioned book the relationship could have stayed out of the bedroom. the story was not the romance.
I definitely recommend the book, but you can skip over the bedroom scenes and not miss a thing.
However, it seems that old people with needs in charge of the industry seem to insist that all stories have 'ships' in them.
Like all teen movies revolve around getting laid. That is just not so in my memory. Then again, I might have been running with an utterly mild crowd, our 'gang' consisted of 3 girls and 5 or so guys. And none of that wild shagging ever occurred.
I think we owe it to the world to have books without gratuitous shagging. Especially at the younger ages.

I may have this all wrong. Are you talking about a “romantic scene” or a “sex scene”?

Big difference between the two. Sure, one can be part of the other, but the reverse is not always true. Which one are we discussing?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's different if you have a "comfortable" retirement. I'm turning 69 this summer and can't imagine being retired. Honestly, I'm kinda scared of the idea.
Retirement is, generally, boring (retired aged 52). Yeah, you might think you have lots of hobbies and things to fill your time with, but you can’t do ‘physical’ things all day, everyday. You see fewer people and it’s pretty lonely. Also have a look on Youtube about the finances of retirement…unless you’ve planned well, in can be a frugal existence and although, money can’t buy you love, but it comes f**king close.

I would never go back to work though. That was much worse!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘Knife’ by Salman Rushdie is an amazing read.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would never go back to work though. That was much worse!
Dunno. I've been told that the only thing worse than working is.... Not working.

I've been an artist (sculptor), potter and martial artist ...but could never support myself with those interests. Years back I used to think that I could finally have the time to do those things seriously when I retired, but now that I'm getting older, my body can't keep up due to age and injuries. Not just a matter of getting in shape.

If I weren't so ADHD, maybe I'd just read more! ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe it's different if you have a "comfortable" retirement.
One has to plan for his retirement as early as possible. I still remembered that even when I started to work on my first month, I saved 1/3 of my income for my retirement. In other words, all my life, I have never touched that 1/3 of my paycheck. I drove the cheapest car that I could find, Toyota Tercel, one after another. I had 3 Toyota Tercels in my life (1 new, 2 used). Any car that I changed, that would be an upgrade.

When I was in college, I started to talk about how to retire early. Not sure people will agree with my logic that "does not live for today but live for the future". But the future back then is the present today.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Dunno. I've been told that the only thing worse than working is.... Not working.

I've been an artist (sculptor), potter and martial artist ...but could never support myself with those interests. Years back I used to think that I could finally have the time to do those things seriously when I retired, but now that I'm getting older, my body can't keep up due to age and injuries. Not just a matter of getting in shape.

If I weren't so ADHD, maybe I'd just read more! ;)
Wait...when I retire....I'm suppose to READ!!!!!! the heck with that.... I'm NEVER retiring (said Xue Sheng never) :)

Latest Discussions