Last Poster #7

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also googled it. I was hoping someone could give me some more information than I could read for myself on a blog: Here’s Why We Eat Hot Cross Buns at Easter

And plagiarism is bad. You shouldn't do it.
Public domain. It isn’t plagiarism since I did not claim it as my own.
Oh, and you forgot to cite you link as well so what is the difference?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Public domain. It isn’t plagiarism since I did not claim it as my own.
Oh, and you forgot to cite you link as well so what is the difference?
I posted the link, kiddo, and never try to pass off someone else's writing as my own. You clearly posted it as your own. Stakes are low on something like this, but that doesn't make it okay. Still pretty sleazy.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I posted the link, kiddo, and never try to pass off someone else's writing as my own. You clearly posted it as your own. Stakes are low on something like this, but that doesn't make it okay. Still pretty sleazy.
Okay pops.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Crazy how fast Starbucks grew in the 90s and 00s. When I was in high school in the 80s, there were a lot of cafes and diners, and I think there were maybe three Starbucks locations (a couple downtown and one on the Ave). We drank a lot of IHOP and Denny's coffee, because they were open all night, and hung out at some coffee shops like Foster's Cafe on Bainbridge Island and the Last Exit in the U-district. Both of those are long gone, but I have fond memories.

I like that one Caribou holdout!

Reminds me of this one, though I'm guessing people who really like Mexican food don't eat at Taco Bell. Wendy's actually sounds right for Washington. We have a Wendy's, Sonic, McD's and Arby's near my house, and if we're going to eat fast food, we'll usually go to Wendy's. :D

image.jpg

This map highlights the most popular fast food chain in each state during quarantine
That is an interesting graphic. I knew McDonald's had taken a hit on the shares from the expansion of so many others stores but I did not know Sonic has such a large stake. Culver's has moved into our area in the last year or so but I have yet to try one. Louisiana has to make me chuckle.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you two should get a room.
Or a divorce. You bicker like an old married couple, over everything.
I know it's been a long year being shut in, but come on. Scroll past!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That is an interesting graphic. I knew McDonald's had taken a hit on the shares from the expansion of so many others stores but I did not know Sonic has such a large stake. Culver's has moved into our area in the last year or so but I have yet to try one. Louisiana has to make me chuckle.
It's listing which chain experienced the highest percentage growth year to year from June 2019 through June 2020. So, Sonic might have had the highest percent growth, but still be the third or fourth most popular restaurant based on overall sales. The salient point is that from that graphic is you can't tell what's actually the most popular, only what restaurant saw the most growth... which isn't necessarily the same thing. Important to read the article, or you can be easily misled.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know, I've had about enough of this, and I am not going to armchair quarterback this, but those bystanders deserve my scorn (IMO)..... but do this to my wife (who is not 65)....and you will see a man get mean

A 65-year-old Asian woman was beaten in New York City. The same day, an Asian man was left unconscious after an attack on the subway.

I'm also getting tired of the "Asians can't be minorities because they work hard and have to much money garbage.considering,there are fewer asians in the USA than most other minorities...only groups that are smaller are Native Hawaiians, Mixed Race and Native Americans

Visualizing the U.S. Population by Race

Visualizing-US-Population-by-Race.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You know, I've had about enough of this, and I am not going to armchair quarterback this, but those bystanders deserve my scorn (IMO)..... but do this to my wife (who is not 65)....and you will see a man get mean

A 65-year-old Asian woman was beaten in New York City. The same day, an Asian man was left unconscious after an attack on the subway.

I'm also getting tired of the "Asians can't be minorities because they work hard and have to much money garbage.considering,there are fewer asians in the USA than most other minorities...only groups that are smaller are Native Hawaiians, Mixed Race and Native Americans

Visualizing the U.S. Population by Race

Visualizing-US-Population-by-Race.jpg
There's a long running, very racist "model minority" trope that goes around. I'm sorry you and your family have to deal with this junk, and hope you guys stay safe.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's listing which chain experienced the highest percentage growth year to year from June 2019 through June 2020. So, Sonic might have had the highest percent growth, but still be the third or fourth most popular restaurant based on overall sales. The salient point is that from that graphic is you can't tell what's actually the most popular, only what restaurant saw the most growth... which isn't necessarily the same thing. Important to read the article, or you can be easily misled.
The article does not change what I said. McDonalds revenue has fallen over 30% in the last 16 years. I haven't been to one in years because they just suck.
Looks like Sonic is around #13 nationally. In the south it would be much higher.

And is anyone really surprised that 'diversity' is changing in the US? It is the melting pot remember? Just supports the fact that the real racists are the one's that keep playing the race card.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A 12th-century monk introduced the cross to the bun.
The origins of hot cross buns may go back as far as the 12th century. According to the story, an Anglican monk baked the buns and marked them with a cross in honor of Good Friday. Over time they gained popularity, and eventually became a symbol of Easter weekend.

I think they did that in Boston with jelly doughnuts.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mmm. Jelly doughnuts. Fun fact. JFK said, "ich bin ein berliner." Translates to "I am a jelly donut."

I rented a house in MA for a year about a decade ago. The town had a home made donut shop that everyone told me about.

Oh, man. They had a jelly doughnut that was so crammed with jelly you needed a bib. But the kicker was, it was then honey glazed on the outside.

Took my old dog for a long Sunday walk around the cranberry bogs. Stopped by the donut shop on the way home, picked up a half dozen. Made coffee, had two jelly donuts and a chocolate cruller, dunked of course.

Went into a sugar coma and fell asleep in the chair, missing the first half of the Patriots game. First time I missed part of a game in forever. The donuts made me do it!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
actually got me thinking....so I looked it up.....Ich bin ein Gelee-Donut....which I think was originally written in his speech :)
that's it! :)

But seriously, it was changing it from Berliner to "Ein Berliner" that made the difference. In English it's like if someone in Texas says, "I am a Ding Dong" vs "I am from (or of) Ding Dong.".

Latest Discussions