Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wowza..... the bushfires situation here in Aus has reached some seriously dangerous levels... I don't remember ever seeing it this bad..... we're talking tens of thousands of people evacuating, apparently at least 449 homes have been destroyed on the south coast since New Year’s Eve. Insane...

We're safe for the moment but it's touch and go at this stage, seems to be spreading like crazy, the strong winds are not helping...

Are you guys fairly safe up there @drop bear?
7f00782f622cd31a05fbec1f27d0e073.jpg

Yeah I am good. It is raining here at the moment.

Man, I’ve been reading about those fires. Scary to even read about. Stay safe, my Aussie friends.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, I’ve been reading about those fires. Scary to even read about. Stay safe, my Aussie friends.
Thanks Gerry. Yeah it's been nonstop... even my sister-in-law's husband's workplace burned down!

I'll be going away on holiday next week, driving up to the border of NSW and QLD, but unsure if there's a safe route at this stage... I think we were going straight up rather than the east coast (where alot of fires are).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gerry. Yeah it's been nonstop... even my sister-in-law's husband's workplace burned down!

I'll be going away on holiday next week, driving up to the border of NSW and QLD, but unsure if there's a safe route at this stage... I think we were going straight up rather than the east coast (where alot of fires are).
How’s your air quality? We had wildfires last year (or was it the year before?) that came within 60 miles (~100 km) of us on 3 sides, and it got bad enough at times that outdoor sporting events were cancelled.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
How’s your air quality? We had wildfires last year (or was it the year before?) that came within 60 miles (~100 km) of us on 3 sides, and it got bad enough at times that outdoor sporting events were cancelled.
I'm not sure overall, but today was the first I noticed it pretty heavily... opened the windows and front door to cool the house down and all I could smell was smoke :s

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I forgot to mention........

Xmas day..... for our brekkie........

Much bacon was consumed.

Just wanted an excuse to say bacon.

No excuses are needed friend! Just wanting to type the word bacon is more than enough reason to say...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
SAG movie screeners are coming in. So far I have Harriet, Joker, Parasite, Marriage Story and The Irishman. Waiting for Jojo Rabbit, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Bombshell. Since I'm currently working my way through the series Breaking Bad - just finished Season 1 last night - I don't know where the heck I'm going to find the time because one must have priorities.

I'm going to have to take some time off from work. :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
type 'bacon' six times fast while looking in the fridge and all of your bacon will disappear and be replaced with vegetables! Don't try it! Not worth it...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Stay safe all you Aussie guys.

I don't follow news much any more, kind of scary seeing what your country is going through.

Stay safe, my brothers.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simon, how are things with the fires down under? Always good to get a 1st person perspective.
Hey @dvcochran, things aren't great at the moment... very scary times, I wrote a bit earlier in the thread about it (post #7519), where we are is safe at the moment but it's been spreading so very rapidly it's hard to know... we actually got some rain today though which hopefully will help..

It's hard to say whether anyone is safe at this stage, it's been absolutely horrendous...

Many people are really bashing the government and leaders, saying they're not doing enough yadayada... there's been alot of support and raising money, I think even Pink gave a shoutout to help Aus!

Thanks for thinkin of us :)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just happened upon the Holy Water in an old box while looking for wrapping paper. That was the small bottle on the left.

The large bottle of Holy Water on the right I bought at Costco. I wanted them to be friends.
Did it work? Did they become friends?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahh.. we've now had to cancel our holiday due to the fires... too risky. Roads are being blocked and cars are bumper to bumper with so many evacuations happening. The wind changes direction without warning and there are too many blazing fires happening.

Apparently there are about 139 blazing fires happening now in NSW alone..

Really bummed out, was really looking forward to it..

But our priority is safety of course

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
And if you look at it in hex or base it is 0-9. This has always made more sense to me since it begins at..... well the beginning.

I hope everyone had a great start to 2020.

We had a looong startup through this last week on a new processing line. Finished up about 8:00 this morning with about 260 manhours in 6 days. It is a very cool dual arm robotic system that mimics human hand manipulation of small formed parts. The rate speed requirement was surpassed on the first day. We had to add several lines of code to overcome some scan time issues and accommodate bend/metal errors in the formed part for placement/accuracy.
In terms of automation, we are still a very long way from being able to 'see' things the way the human eye does.
As always, repeatability is the biggest challenge.

I love my work but man, I am tired.
I worked all night on New Year's too. Some sadist scheduled a facility switch AND a provider database switch on New Year's night. Ahhh, the glamorous life of a systems analyst.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh.. we've now had to cancel our holiday due to the fires... too risky. Roads are being blocked and cars are bumper to bumper with so many evacuations happening. The wind changes direction without warning and there are too many blazing fires happening.

Apparently there are about 139 blazing fires happening now in NSW alone..

Really bummed out, was really looking forward to it..

But our priority is safety of course
Damn, that does suck. In one article I read this weekend, the term "apocalyptic" was applied. With 139 fires in NSW, I think it appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions