Laconia Bike Week

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Laconia, New Hampshire is home to either the second or third largest motorcycle rally in the country during the second week of June. For many decades, bikers have gathered in the communities surrounding Lake Winnipesaukie. New Hampshire, the 'Live Free or Die' state, continues to avoid a helmet law (and is the last State in the Nation without a mandatory seatbelt law for adults in automobiles).

This year's Bike Week event started with a tragic collision on Route 9. A Sport Utility Vehicle overturned, causing 3 motorcycler deaths, and 6 others were injured.

Later in the week, a tree fell on the Kankamangus Highway, causing the death of another biker.

A Claremount rider lost control of his motorcycle on the backroad route 104, and while sliding to his death, collided with 5 oncoming motorcycles, creating more injuries.

So far this year, New Hampshire has witnessed eight motorcycle fatalities, and many more injuries. Today's weather is going to bring out more bikers, which will lead, no doubt, to more accidents.

Next weekend, there is the annual 'Blessing of the Motorcycles' in Colebrook at the 'Shrine of Our Lady of Grace'.

http://nhblessingofthebikes.tripod.com/

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Went to Laconia last year for the first time. Wanted to see what it was like.
I can honestly say I have no desire to go back..

While I absolutley LOVE Riding in NH, I'd rather do it when there are not 200,000 bikes parked at bars. I am sure they are all drinking sodas BTW.

Yes very tragic news about the riders..May they Rest in Peace.

Riding in groups is a tricky business. Absolutley need to be in staggered formation and keep plenty of distance between bikes..This lessens the potential for the bowling ball affect..

As to wearing a helmet or not..well..Its YOUR brain..When I ride which is all the time...My gear is on ALL the time..Including my helmet..
Even with all the bugs and crap that I clean off my helmet, let alone going down..I simply don't understand not wearing one. Yesterday going down 91, I see a guy coming the opposite direction, clinging on to some apehangers, no shirt, no helmet, cigarette hanging out of his mouth..I simply shook my head and laughed..

To all fellow riders..be safe out there.

Latest Discussions