Lack of manners (response !)

A

Autocrat

OK, this is meant as an offensive dig... merely pointing out something I have observed in the short time here....... people aren't active. Now I could just be blatantly rude and bemoan that fact that so many people just cannot be A**** to respond ot other peoples posts, that only a few people ever seem to aknowledge other peoples posts, or that when the few do, there will be contention of some sort. But I won't be that rude, I'll try the polite method and enquire as to why people tend to view a post, and not reply... seriously, their are threads here with approximately 20 replies, yet had in excess of 300 viewings. Some I can understand... yet when people are asking questions, wanting info, making genuine enquiries or plain asking for help, I would of thought that the number of people replying would have been a damn sight higher, perticularly as I see numerous posters spouting about integrity, honour, duty, respect, manners etc. All these things are meant to be included within the martial spirit.... yet so few people respond.... it makes me wonder about empty proverbs!
*HEY - if you Walk the walk as well as talk the talk, then this isn't about you, so PLEASE don't be offended. If this is pertaining to you, then don'#t be offended, just become more aware of others around you and share your wisdom... or the lack of it... we can all benefit!)
So, I ask for more people to respond to other peoples posts.

This is not meant as a prevocative post, nor to be rude, malign, insulting etc. Merely an attempt at encouragement.

(Then again, after saying that, I don't really expect an responses on this either... but at least I try!)

For those few that actually read this, thank you. For those that act upon it, bless you for your manners, (hell, even if it's just to place a rude response, at least the attempt would have been validated! LOL )

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Autocrat said:
OK, this is meant as an offensive dig... merely pointing out something I have observed in the short time here....... people aren't active. Now I could just be blatantly rude and bemoan that fact that so many people just cannot be A**** to respond ot other peoples posts, that only a few people ever seem to aknowledge other peoples posts, or that when the few do, there will be contention of some sort. But I won't be that rude, I'll try the polite method and enquire as to why people tend to view a post, and not reply... seriously, their are threads here with approximately 20 replies, yet had in excess of 300 viewings. Some I can understand... yet when people are asking questions, wanting info, making genuine enquiries or plain asking for help, I would of thought that the number of people replying would have been a damn sight higher, perticularly as I see numerous posters spouting about integrity, honour, duty, respect, manners etc. All these things are meant to be included within the martial spirit.... yet so few people respond.... it makes me wonder about empty proverbs!
*HEY - if you Walk the walk as well as talk the talk, then this isn't about you, so PLEASE don't be offended. If this is pertaining to you, then don'#t be offended, just become more aware of others around you and share your wisdom... or the lack of it... we can all benefit!)

This is not meant as a prevocative post, nor to be rude, malign, insulting etc. Merely an attempt at encouragement.

(Then again, after saying that, I don't really expect an responses on this either... but at least I try!)

For those few that actually read this, thank you. For those that act upon it, bless you for your manners, (hell, even if it's just to place a rude response, at least the attempt would have been validated! LOL )
Does this count as a response?:wink2:

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that in my case that either someone else has already said what I would have or I might not have the answer. I can understand why this would bother you but you can't let it bother you, there is always a reason behind the why.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I noticed that too. Such as this forum/medium is, people don't "have to" respond. Why they don't...at the minimum maybe they don't check back, at the maximum, maybe they don't know how to respond and if they do, as you say it would be rude too. I try to respond, honestly to an answer directed at me, even if I don't have an answer. Like I stated I teach kickboxing. Someone took it as "ring" MT type kickboxing. Not...but I answered courteously that I'm not into that.

But I get a "cold shoulder" too. I just have got to let it run off, it really doesn't matter to me except to the people I have come to care about. Then alot of "views" are lurkers...just look at the numbers not registering. They are either newbies who feel their opinion isn't important or are just in for a quick peek. BTW, newbies, your opinion as a new person in martial arts IS important. We were all white belts once. And we should all be brothers and sisters on this board and treat each other courteously. That's why this is a great place to learn and share each other's experiences. Autocrat, hang in there, believe in the good. TW

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am perfectly happy if others read my posts, think about them, and refine their positions because of my comments. Further, I am pleased if my comments causes them to formulate an opinion directly contradictory from mine.

I do not need to have people respond to my statements at all.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Autocrat said:

I myself own and moderate a discussion group with over 120 people on it. I also co-moderate another group with well over 400 people. Of both groups only maybe seven or eight actually post something for discussion. Here on MT we have well over 3700 people who are members. Of those I'd say roughly 50 to 100 may post in any given day.
You simply cannot twist peoples' arms to participate. They are either going to say something or they're not. They're either going to lurk or they're going to get active. :lurk:
People are as unpredictable as the weather. One person may sit for months without saying boo too a goose then all of the sudden pipe up with a post/reply that either pisses everyone off or is so profound that we all fall down to worship them... or it's usually somewhere in-between.
People are shy, yea even unto the internet and faceless/nameless discussion groups. They're here and reading but they may never reply.
I mean, whuddya gonna do? Find each one, go over to their house and beat them senseless :boxing: til they submit to your whims/desires/expectations? No, of course not. So sit there and call people rude, huh?
It would be nice to have input from all of the fine, intelligent individuals that make up the 3700+ members of Martial Talk, each thread would probably get anywhere from 50 to 200 posts her day. But imagine this if they did.
Would YOU have time to read each of those individual posts on one particular thread? Then have time to read 75-120 posts on another thread you're interested in? THEN have time to read the 30-35 posts on still one more thread? ???
No of course not. Be thankful that not everyone here posts. Be also thankful that you can rest easy knowing that a good percentage of the 3700+ people are reading/listening to what you have to say. Some people I know have a hard time getting even just THAT much attention.
You got ours... for the time being. :D

:stoplurk:

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i often just read things, i dont have much to say and often i look to learn, my experence is that i know very little about my martial arts, and that i dont want to step on any toes or say something that is not correct so i more often then not will read and not post

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well as for myself alot of the post is just to vent out frustations and need no response. I will always give my opion but it just a opion. Many people need to look at it from the outside in and give it a lot of thought. And maybe just mybe there view is the same as another no need to respond.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
You simply cannot twist peoples' arms to participate. They are either going to say something or they're not. They're either going to lurk or they're going to get active. People are as unpredictable as the weather. One person may sit for months without saying boo to a goose then all of the sudden pipe up with a post/reply that either pisses everyone off or is so profound that we all fall down to worship them... or it's usually somewhere in-between. People are shy, yea even unto the internet and faceless/nameless discussion groups.
I agree with MACaver. People are the way they are, & although I hear your frustration Autocrat, I can only speak for myself. Since I've trained in only one martial art (American Kenpo), I don't feel comfortable replying to a lot of the threads unless the topic is something general (ex: training tips, burnout, women's issues in MA, how MA changed my life, etc.). Time is another factor for me - I only have Internet access as work right now, so when work gets busy I end up being away from MT for a few days until the chaos is over.

Take care of yourself, & I wish you well on your martial arts journey.

:asian:
Gin-Gin

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I think you're expecting too much Autocrat. Personally speaking, sometimes I don't reply because I don't feel I have anything worth asking or adding. I am allowed to read a discussion because it looked interesting and I hope to learn things, aren't I? Personally, I'm more concerned with the quality of a response than the quantity.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Also take into consideration that some people look at a thread multiple times. As you said, some have 300 views with 20 posts. I might have looked at that thread 15 times as new posts came in, and then finally posted at the end, then viewed it another 15 times as new posts came from that. so, 31 views to one post sounds about on part with your ratio.

Also, as others have said, some people just come looking for information, and there's nothing wrong with that. More power to them for seeking answers to those questions, and if the answer isn't here, I wish them well in their search.

Hope that helps a little. :asian:

OP
J

Jaymeister

Zepp said:
I think you're expecting too much Autocrat. Personally speaking, sometimes I don't reply because I don't feel I have anything worth asking or adding. I am allowed to read a discussion because it looked interesting and I hope to learn things, aren't I? Personally, I'm more concerned with the quality of a response than the quantity.

Exactly! If you have a valid question or comment to a post, then plz post it. But don't add something just to raise your postcount.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mods also may follow a thread and scan through without replying as we try to remain neutral in all matters, so therefore the read count will be very high in a 'hot topic'.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Autocrat said:
MartialTalk is a try-it-before-you-use-it board. Anyone can look up "kenpo" on Google, get pointed here, and view all public forums without being a member. There is never a time when a guest is not viewing threads.

Also, there are a few very valuable qualities to being a human being. One of them is free will. Another is the understanding of how and when to exercise it.

Enjoy the boards.

okinawagojuryu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Autocrat ,

I own , & moderate a Okinawa Goju Ryu discussion group . When I first started the group , many people would join , & not discuss things . I never understood , why in the world would somone join a discussion group , & not wanna partake in discussion . After all , I do run a discussion group , not a sit , & read group . Often times , I would have to clean house , if you will . Where , I would go into the membership , & kick those people out , that do not partake in discussions . Also , it states clearly in the description of my group to send me a letter of introduction to be considered a member , but, people dont . I used to chase after people to get them to send me an introduction , but now , I do'nt . If they cant read the decription of the group , & do what is asked , why should I let them join ? JMO FWIW .

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I respond when I've got something to add. I read threads and posts here about subjects I know absolutly nothing about. I enjoy reading them and getting what I can from them but if it isn't directly related to one of the arts I study then I'm probably just passing the time. Just because you took the time to type it doesn't mean I'm obligated to read or reply to it. IMO

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The original post in this thread was rather inane. I would normally not have bothered to post. However, since the topic of the thread is about whether or not to post, I figured I should post, to let you know that under normal circumstances this is exactly the type of post I would normally not reply to.

Not all posts, and not all posters, are equal. A great many are from people posting stuff like 'My martial art is best!' or 'Which martial art is the best?' or so on. I'm frankly not interested in such things, so I dont reply. But often you cant tell what direction a thread has taken from the title. Often times it is de-railed and off topic by the end of the first page, so taking a look to see what people are talking about is required. If the discussion is not of interest to me, then I dont reply.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
I post when it suits me. Often, I lurk, read. I pop out and post when I get the urge. Whining that not everyone posts is stupid.

Based on Kaiths last posted stats, this site gets 60,70,80 THOUSAND visitors each month. I think in one private conversation he said about 1/3 of the registered members are active posters, with another 1/3-1/2 being active lurkers.

Would it be nice if every day there was 10,000 new messages? Sure.
But I can't keep up with the 1,000 or so as it is.

Relax, enjoy, and take a few deep breaths.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont post on a lot of stuff because im so new to the game, and I don’t think of myslef as being very knowledgable, so often I have nothing valid to add to a conversation, but sure ill read it and learn…..

Also I don’t tend to get in to heated conversations unless it REALLY rattles my cage, because I’m a non-confrontational type (yes there are such MA’ist around). But again, sometimes such conversations are interesting to read.

If you post a question and it gets 300 views and only 10 replies, you can be confident in the fact that you got the best 10 replies that all the experience and knowledge this board has to offer. So just relax and enjoy the ride. :)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know about other people, but for me it is a matter of sheer lack of time.

I try to address everyones posts if there are questions as a Mod. in my area (the Armoury), because when I talked with kaith before becoming a mod., it was my understanding that he was looking for me not just to be a peacekeeper, but to try to bring good info to the table as well.

So I try to respond in my area, and I think I do a pretty good job at that. But between the armoury, my own administrative duties for TULISAN tactical training, my own training, AND real life stuff, it is very difficult for me to respond to everything that goes on in other area's of MT.

But, as you can see, I do try my best...;)

Paul

Latest Discussions