Lack of co-ordination!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lots of good advice already, Raisin. You have asked more than once about your focus. I'm curious about why you feel that way?

Part of what you are dealing with is a confidence problem - but what you have already been assured of is that this is YOUR journey - no one else's, so don't compare yourself to others. Comparison is not always a good tool.

If you cross-train, step-aerobics is a good one for developing coordination.

And, of course ... time. You must give it time. Practice a WHOLE lot. Don't start with a mirror. If you need to break things down into steps, do so and add steps on. I do this with my ADD and Autistic kids and it has greatly improved their coordination. Drill parts of patterns, add on, work on transitions a lot.

Most of all - HAVE FUN!!!

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Raisin said:
Hi
I suffer from this!! What can I do? When we have to block and do different things with our hands and legs, for some reason I have difficulty getting it all together. I also have trouble with learning techniques. I have to be shown again and again. Is this because I dont really understand the technique, am I not focusing enough?? Please help!
What is your rank? How long have you been practicing? How old are you? How active in other areas have you been or are you still? Age?....

All factors that need to be considered when you are trying to figure out how and why you are at the point you are and want to move on to a new level.

There should be level/age/fitness appropriate expectations of 'coordination' that you can see as target goals in your program. These are other students that are further along or your instructor telling them/demonstrating them for you.

In general, 10 minutes a day of consistent fundamentals is better than an hour once a week. Your nervous system needs regular, consistent and appropriate repetitions to really become more efficient. Coordination is a cumulative thing and improves faster as you get better. Unfortunately, it also degrades if you quite or reduce the time spent on it, so find a reasonable time allotment and stick to it.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Raisin I will agree with everyone else that says it takes time. Remember Rome was not built in a day and the study of the martial arts is a life long journey not a 10 minute one.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, What made the Russians and the East germans so good in the oylmpics?

A simple technique, visualizing,...find a quiet place try to clear your mind and think of the stuff you want to learn and remember. Eyes closed, count backwards,50,49,48,....when you reach one, forcus your mind and see yourself doing the technique,visualize every movement. go thru the whole process of the coordination -see yourself doing it correctly,slow than strong and stronger. Feel and see yourself doing the form you are trying to put the image into your unconscious mind,feel all the muscle working correctly. but be relax,than get up slow,do this several times a week, and you will feel and see the difference in your training the next time you go to class. Oh breath natually the whole time. breath in...breath out..breath in ..breath out....When you see the winners in most martial art tournments ask what are some of there training ways...don't be surprize, one of them is visualizations,relaxations-seeing themselves performing strong and correctly.......Aloha from Hawaii

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raewyn,

I think you have some good advise here.

1) Body isolation, this allows you to do only one part of the body at a time until you understand what you are doing or how you do it.

2) Slowly, and repeatedly puts it into musle memory and when you need it, it will come up, if you truly know it and practive it.

3) The visualization is good. If you can think you are doing it, practice for two minutes while you are in bed just before you go to sleep, only using your mind.

4) Goals, as in doing Martial Arts to get better balance and co-ordination.

5) Not comparing yoruself to others. It is best to just work on yourself. If you take care of yourself then you will be alright. I have seen many a person who learned easy at first and when it got hard could not get it or put the time into it, as they had not learned good study skills.

6) Doing it right. By slowing down and doing it right this allows your muscle memory to pick it up. It also means less corrections later on, of course you will be making improvements as you go, and continue to learn and different concepts enlighten you.

7) Try doing techniques that work both sides, or drills that work both sides of the body and the brain. By training both sides to move and the same time you will learn better coordination. Just a toddler learns to walk first by trynig to stand and falling down, and later by running off balance, and then the slow walk using the hands to stabilize, then finally a couple of steps with no support. So goes your training.

8) Keeping a positive attitude, as this is supposed to be fun, and what becomes not so fun, will not be done. Notice I did not say it will nto be pain free or not require work or time.

I am sure there are more, yet, I have to go to bed now for meetings tomorrow morning :)

Enjoy :asian:

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok, Im just a student myself, and so Im not sure how much my advice is worth but here goes.I had a lot of trouble with my co-ordination on my left side, because I naturally favour the right.In order to imrove this, I started doing basic weapons training, in my case with Nunchaku.The thing about using Nunchaku is that you HAVE to be able to use both sides.So the more I practiced with them, the more my co-ordination in general improved.Plus its a lot of fun.

Latest Discussions