Kung Fu San Soo

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This would be news to Chin Siu Dek (Jimmy Woo). But of course he's dead so why would he give a ****? You really should talk about **** you know something about.

Don't worry. The closest he'll get to San Soo is judging someone's videos... and this board, of course.
it's not *my* opinion. it's the opinion of almost everyone in the cma community that san soo was not, is not, and will not ever be part of cma because it has no real lineage and no connection to china.
What a ridiculously absurd blanket statement.

Here is an old vid of my teacher's teacher Papak Guru Rudy Terlinden. You old time San Soo folks may have heard of him, he spend a bit of time training with GM Jimmy Woo. His Silat has alot of those San Soo power strikes and the low line kicks. One of his students is first, Guru Rudy shows up about 1:00
You know, I think many people have disparaging things to say about Kung Fu San Soo because many San Soo folks wear a Japanese-style Budogi as opposed to CMA style uniforms. Though, I've seen some old San Soo folks working out hard & wearing traditional Chinese uniforms and I thought,"Wow, that's some really good looking Kung Fu combat!"

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't worry. The closest he'll get to San Soo is judging someone's videos... and this board, of course.

What a ridiculously absurd blanket statement.

Here is an old vid of my teacher's teacher Papak Guru Rudy Terlinden. You old time San Soo folks may have heard of him, he spend a bit of time training with GM Jimmy Woo. His Silat has alot of those San Soo power strikes and the low line kicks. One of his students is first, Guru Rudy shows up about 1:00
You know, I think many people have disparaging things to say about Kung Fu San Soo because many San Soo folks wear a Japanese-style Budogi as opposed to CMA style uniforms. Though, I've seen some old San Soo folks working out hard & wearing traditional Chinese uniforms and I thought,"Wow, that's some really good looking Kung Fu combat!"
You might have a point. I've been in classes where senior guys were wearing shorts and sleeveless T Shirts, and thought, Wow, when I work out with that one, or that one, I'd better have my game face on. (I always wear long pants even if with a T shirt, cuz those rug burns... Oh, man :D).

Why do we need to trash talk someone else's art? To me the only question is whether I'm secure in the effectiveness of my art, and happy in my practice of it.

Working with outcast teens for a living, I see and combat this all day every day. The one with confidence problems will stir things up for others (try to bring them down), just to make himself feel better. Nothing infuriates me at work more than an instigator.

Have gone OT for a moment because I feel a little responsible for this thread. Please excuse the interruption from the kfss video theme.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Why do we need to trash talk someone else's art? To me the only question is whether I'm secure in the effectiveness of my art, and happy in my practice of it.

Exactly.

Does the art you train work for you? If so who cares what anyone else thinks
As to what is worn to work out/train; I have been in CMA for quite awhile now and I have rarely seen anyone actually workout or train in a gi or a Kung Fu uniform they are for show and demonstration only. Tee-shirts, sweats, street cloths, shorts Gi pants or Kung fu pants but not the jacket, I have pretty much seen it all and again it is all about what works for you.

My first sifu required us to get one silk kung fu uniform but it was PURELY for show, we never EVER trained in them. My second Sifu never required any specific uniform for anything and my Wing Chun sifu's only requirement was no street shoes in the training hall.

My sanda sifu requires that I train a WHOLE lot more (but that is another story) other than that no uniform, last Friday I trained in jeans and a sweatshirt, got a lecture and then went back to work.
As to putting down and/or trash talking another art, what it the sense of that it accomplishes nothing and generally make me somewhat suspicious of the one doing the trash talking.

I have seen San Soo on video and I have read the posts on MT and talk with a few of its practitioners here on MT and from what I have seen I like from the posts I have read the practitioners take San Soo seriously and from those I have talked to they seem like good people. Whether it comes from China, Japan, India, Chicago or East Slavonia I don’t really care. I like what I see and I read that is all I know.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was going to make another post but since this is already about San Soo I thought I would ask here.

Many CMA styles focus on the dantian to either direct energy, to store energy, to use energy.

Does San Soo focus on the dantian and if so for what?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was going to make another post but since this is already about San Soo I thought I would ask here.

Many CMA styles focus on the dantian to either direct energy, to store energy, to use energy.

Not to my knowledge. Have to say, though, San Soo varies somewhat among first gen masters.

The art prides itself on being built on mechanically sound principles, and I've never heard *chi* even mentioned, let alone the dantian. But then, that's just my experience so take it with a grain of salt. :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge. Have to say, though, San Soo varies somewhat among first gen masters.

The art prides itself on being built on mechanically sound principles, and I've never heard *chi* even mentioned, let alone the dantian. But then, that's just my experience so take it with a grain of salt. :D

I was just wondering because Sanda claims no Qi training either but does talk about the Dantian and its use similar to Xingyiquan and I have seen some similarities between Sanda and San soo.

Thanks

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hasn't been my experience. I'm not saying that it isn't taught/practiced in some San Soo locations but my experience with Chi/Ki has only been from outside sources.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, I use that line (Jimmy use to tell me...) alot. It makes me appear more important than I really am
icon10.gif
. I need all the help I can get brother.:p

Is this Dave Hopkins?

I was in your studio once if it is. I used to train under Paul Schroeder.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I did, by Paul Schroeder and Weston Vermillion, but only in passing, and more in a general sense.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this Dave Hopkins?

I was in your studio once if it is. I used to train under Paul Schroeder.

No, I'm just a San Soo Vagabond. Dave is a very sucessful studio owner in Riverside. Great guy and top notch fighter.

pathfinder4x4

White Belt
Reaction score
This looks loke a very interesting and effective style...anyone know of any Kung Fu San Soo schools in the Las Vegas area?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try these:

NEVADA

Henderson
Master Eric Drobney
702-564-9663 (Also Las Vegas)

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]H[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Las Vegas[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Chris McCune 702-564-9663[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Best wishes,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Mark
[/FONT]

Latest Discussions