Kung Fu San Soo

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Although I do not train it I rather like what I have seen

Thanks for ALL the videos
Xue Sheng, wanted to ask you a CMA question in line with KFSS. Have been studying some arcane dvd's and books on Shuai Chiao (and Kuai Chiao), and am seeing some overlap. Do you have any thoughts? And really, guess I'm asking both XS and anyone on the thread for insights and opinions. :asian:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue Sheng, wanted to ask you a CMA question in line with KFSS. Have been studying some arcane dvd's and books on Shuai Chiao (and Kuai Chiao), and am seeing some overlap. Do you have any thoughts? And really, guess I'm asking both XS and anyone on the thread for insights and opinions. :asian:

Not uncommon, just about all CMA styles have Qinna to varying degrees in them and many also have Shuaijiao (Shuai Chiao) to varying degrees in them too. Remember Shuaijiao is rather old (oldest living CMA) so it has had a long time to influence a lot of CMA styles.

Sanda is considerably newer than it appears that San Soo is and Sanda is made up of a lot of basic and quite effective moves from various CMA styles. I see all sorts of overlap between Sanda and just about every other CMA I have ever trained. I was rather surprised and the similarities between Taiji and Sanda and Xingyi and Sanda as well and Sanda is big on Shuaijiao and Qinna too.

And if I understand San Soo, and it is likely I do not since I do not train San soo so I am not sure how correct I am here – so please correct me if I am wrong, from what I have read about it the source is said to be monks that traveled around Southern China that were getting the living daylight beat out of them so it was imperative that they develop something to fight with. And also from what I have read, and the videos supplied in this post, it looks like San Soo is not as much a defensive fighting art and it is an offensive fighting art (like Xingyiquan deference is offence). If this is true that would point to the fact that they would want something pretty basic, effective that was also quick to learn so you would not go for styles that were big on form and go more for the basic things and basic stuff from things like Shuaijiao, Qinna and straight forward kicks and punches from any CMA. To be honest I like what I have seen and read about San Soo

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not uncommon, just about all CMA styles have Qinna to varying degrees in them and many also have Shuaijiao (Shuai Chiao) to varying degrees in them too. Remember Shuaijiao is rather old (oldest living CMA) so it has had a long time to influence a lot of CMA styles.

Sanda is considerably newer than it appears that San Soo is and Sanda is made up of a lot of basic and quite effective moves from various CMA styles. I see all sorts of overlap between Sanda and just about every other CMA I have ever trained. I was rather surprised and the similarities between Taiji and Sanda and Xingyi and Sanda as well and Sanda is big on Shuaijiao and Qinna too.

And if I understand San Soo, and it is likely I do not since I do not train San soo so I am not sure how correct I am here – so please correct me if I am wrong, from what I have read about it the source is said to be monks that traveled around Southern China that were getting the living daylight beat out of them so it was imperative that they develop something to fight with. And also from what I have read, and the videos supplied in this post, it looks like San Soo is not as much a defensive fighting art and it is an offensive fighting art (like Xingyiquan deference is offence). If this is true that would point to the fact that they would want something pretty basic, effective that was also quick to learn so you would not go for styles that were big on form and go more for the basic things and basic stuff from things like Shuaijiao, Qinna and straight forward kicks and punches from any CMA. To be honest I like what I have seen and read about San Soo
You are correct Xue. The Monks were constantly being beaten and robbed of their valuables when they traveled, so they were forced to develop/learn an effective way to fight although they were peaceful people.

San Soo is primarily an offensive fighting system. Jimmy Woo use to tell me that the best defense is a great offense. San Soo is pretty much a down and dirty fighting system. It's not very flashy but it's very effective.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, XS. As always, your CMA background's insightful and helps me quite a bit to fill the gaps in my own limited CMA understanding.

QUI-GON's answer to a couple of your questions is more eloquent and cogent than any I could write, especially since he knew and trained with Jimmy Woo, but it speaks for me, too:

QUI-GON said:
You are correct Xue. The Monks were constantly being beaten and robbed of their valuables when they traveled, so they were forced to develop/learn an effective way to fight although they were peaceful people.

San Soo is primarily an offensive fighting system. Jimmy Woo use to tell me that the best defense is a great offense. San Soo is pretty much a down and dirty fighting system. It's not very flashy but it's very effective.

Thanks to you both for helping me flesh out my knowledge of San Soo and where it fits in CMA overall.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Thank you

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Braggart! :boing1: :highfive:
Hey, I use that line (Jimmy use to tell me...) alot. It makes me appear more important than I really am
icon10.gif
. I need all the help I can get brother.:p

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tell me about San Soo Kung Fu, not to familiar with it. What kind of techniques does it use? Does it use long range strikes or short range? low kicks or high kicks or both? Any animal techniques like snake, crane, etc...?

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice use of link to inflame irritate and upset there doc

Yes. you're right :disgust:

:p

(Hey, I got KFSS in my lineage, I gotta defend... plus, I don't really like Internet BS-ers. When someone pads their Martial Arts Resume with "4 years" of expertise in a certain art, you don't expect for them to have, in reality, a minor kyu rank)

xiongnu_luohan

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes. you're right :disgust:

:p

(Hey, I got KFSS in my lineage, I gotta defend... plus, I don't really like Internet BS-ers. When someone pads their Martial Arts Resume with "4 years" of expertise in a certain art, you don't expect for them to have, in reality, a minor kyu rank)

feel free to respond in the other thread if you have something to say. I've already made my points perfectly clear. it's not *my* opinion. it's the opinion of almost everyone in the cma community that san soo was not, is not, and will not ever be part of cma because it has no real lineage and no connection to china.

note to moderator: I lost my passwords and lost access to the e-mail account from which my user name(xiongnu_lohan) was created. Thus I have created another profile.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
feel free to respond in the other thread if you have something to say. I've already made my points perfectly clear. it's not *my* opinion. it's the opinion of almost everyone in the cma community that san soo was not, is not, and will not ever be part of cma because it has no real lineage and no connection to china.

note to moderator: I lost my passwords and lost access to the e-mail account from which my user name(xiongnu_lohan) was created. Thus I have created another profile.

This would be news to Chin Siu Dek (Jimmy Woo). But of course he's dead so why would he give a ****? You really should talk about **** you know something about.

Latest Discussions