Kung Fu Fighter Video

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Fantastic! It looks like the other guy mouths off then loses his bravado a bit when he sees him go into his stance but goes ahead with the fight anyway.Then gets what's coming to him! shame they stopped filming so soon after the knockout

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
swiftpete said:
Fantastic! It looks like the other guy mouths off then loses his bravado a bit when he sees him go into his stance but goes ahead with the fight anyway.Then gets what's coming to him! shame they stopped filming so soon after the knockout
yes true, but it was probably just cut to save bandwidth space on the site, I'm sure that there was more to it.
This was apt: (from the site)
Description:
This is hilarious. A kid gets in a streetfight and busts into some Kung Fu stance. I thought it was more of a joke to mock the other fighter until he one punches him and knocks him out.

Pretty good little clip... one hit... ding!

Hannya

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I saw this the other day, and it looks like a lucky punch to me. The kid threw 5-6 punches and they were WAY off, then he got lucky with the hook. I wouldn't be surprised if the camera stopped rolling because the kid got back up and returned the favor multiple times :p

Anyone know what stance he was using? Are there really defensice/offensive stances that are practical for street fights?

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hannya said:
I saw this the other day, and it looks like a lucky punch to me. The kid threw 5-6 punches and they were WAY off, then he got lucky with the hook. I wouldn't be surprised if the camera stopped rolling because the kid got back up and returned the favor multiple times :p

Anyone know what stance he was using? Are there really defensice/offensive stances that are practical for street fights?
i would say luck is a part of any fight as well as skill. this kid stuck to his game plan without letting the other guy throw him off.
end result kung fu - 1, street punk - 0

i think thats the biggest downfall of any martial artist.......they practice and practice to refine their fighting style.....when they actually get into a fight, they fight the other guys fight instead of making the other guy fight their fight.
lay down with the dogs and you get the fleas.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hannya said:

Could also chalk that up to nerves...Kid had probably never been in a fight and was probably scared to death...but he kept his cool...after the first short engagement he might have calmed down and adjusted his aiming and timing...either way, his training obviously gave him the confidence to deal with the situation and he did...

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lots of luck...
Little skill...
No kung fu...

The kid came out ok, but I wouldn't read much into it past that.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Lots of luck...
Little skill...
No kung fu...

The kid came out ok, but I wouldn't read much into it past that.
I thought he did well. Near the end of the video when the camera is in a bad spot you can sorta see where the opponent comes in for attack, and has his fists totally confounded. I think the MA'ist controlled the fight the entire time. He didn't even come close to getting hit. And hey, oppurtunity for a haymaker? Sure take it. Like I've said before if you forget the form of the tiger don't forget to be ferocious like the tiger.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hannya said:
The one that stands out in my mind, that I wouldn't expect to see is the steal stance. The steal is great for bridging the gap, hence the name. You "steal" space on your opponent. He doesn't use it effectively but what can you expect. You really have to remember that few have nerves of iron, if you don't some skill is going to go out the window regardless. He uses a series of very badly done cat, horse and lunge stances. But what I think was his strong point in the fight is him taking a lot of quick steps forward, again bridging the gap and using the KF fighting concept of constant forward pressing motion. With all his imperfections in the fight I give him an A++ for controlling his opponent and sticking it to him with one good shot.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the person who played the kung fu role here confounded his opponent by having the lead hand so far forward that a jab/cross was stymied. Was it real kung fu? The stances seemed consistent, so I do think he's studied something. The KO punch was sloppy, but isn't that often the case in a real life situation, with the adrenalin flowing and all?

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a Kung Fu stylist, so I couldn't comment on the perfection of his technique, but like a lot of others have said, he did well considering the tension of the situation, and at no point did the other guy look to be the one in control

J

jkdhit

i saw that video the other day but i have quite a few things to say about it..

the guy in the red shirt didn't seem like he really knew kungfu, if he did he must have been just joined recently because if you see his steps and his stances, he's quite unbalanced. also, his leg positions are out in a way where he can easily have his knee cap broken

also, he starts swearing showing that he isn't that disciplined

i remember seeing one segment where he tried to jab but stepped with his back leg and crossed it over his front leg behind himself. the other guy could have easily knocked him out here.

as for the hit, neither of them knew what they were doing. they just started swinging like little girls, the guy in the red shirt just kept unctrollably swinging his arms outwards similar to a high block but not really until eventually one of his swings hit the other guy

i would have liked to see what happened after that punch. i'm sure the guy in red was knocked out :p

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i think most people have in their heads the picture of a perfect fight, if they were ever to be involved in one. the reality is, no fight is ever perfect......and they never look quite the way you want them to look.
but i would wager that the people saying this have never been in a fight......or maybe they have, but have not seen what they look like while doing it.

Marcus Buonfiglio

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Chobaja said:
You know, he might look a little silly busting some stances.. But I think that should have been fair warning to back off. Dude didn't take the warning and got his face split. This is my favorite video ever.

This video was discussed on another forum. I am posting a response from Mr. Brown that has an interesting perspective. Mr. Brown is one of my students.
Also in reviewing the video the actions of the attacker in reaching around his back prior to the engagement would have resulted in me attacking immediately. The action is consistent with bring a weapon from concealment into battery.

Here is Mr. Brown's post:
I heard a story of about fifteen years ago in Arizona a cop was attempting to take down a pretty tough guy, with no back up. Was a sketchy situation in a bad part of town, and the cop did a horrible job of following protocol and waiting for additional help. After chasing this person into a bad an unknown area, the guy turned on him and assumed what the officer later called a "threatening stance", and invited him to scrap. The officer drew and shot him, killing him.

As the story goes, he felt his life was immediately threatened, and given the range and conditions of the situation, he had no alternative but to drop the guy.

He was relieved of all charges, and continued to serve in the police force.

Whether this is a true story or not, it gives lesson in presenting to an enemy what you know. Assume a "karotty" stance, and you raise your enemy's awareness and caution of you - bad tactics. Sun Tzu's treatise has been around for 2500 years for a reason. Such warnings may be enough, in the attacker's mind, to warrant his use of a weapon, or other actions more severe than what he originally intended.

Just a thought. This also brings some light to the natural standing position from which we are trained to commence action in a technique, and what it can offer in terms of display of knowledge and, perhaps more importantly, what it appears as to the bystander. In many cases the bystanders will make or break you in the police report that follows.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF

J

jkdhit

i have to agree with that too. when the guy in the red shirt started to make room and went into his qigong stance, he went into a threatening position that was basically an open invitation for trouble. if the attacker was injured, the bystanders would have been able to hold the guy in the red shirt liable.

i've read in some kungfu magazines about how victims of attack who know martial arts end up taking down the attacker and end up injuring the attacker. then a few weeks or months later, they're being sued for assault. some of them lose the case because the jury has the idea that every martial artist is going to be like cain in the kungfu tv shows and be able to keep 100% control over the entire situation

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the last couple of posts about the stances. I think the extreme stances are less of a warning and more tipping your hand. There are a number of reasons why this could be bad. Maybe your opponent will suddenly view you as more of a threat then he originally assumed and hitting the stances would make him go for a weapon or cause his friends to join in. I myself would rather keep as normal a posture as possible and not give away any advantage. I also agree with moving in fast as soon as it looked like the guy was reaching for something, like behind his back or when he went for his shoe.
Did the KO punch look more like a hammer strike and not so much a haymaker? I could be wrong, and I'll have to watch again more closely, but it did look like a palm up strike.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the comments about not letting on what you know...but in this case, it did seem to intimidate the other person, and I thought it nearly kept the fight from happening (hard to tell).

It'd be nice to know if this person really knows a kung fu style!

RBaddorf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Could be the guy is self taught from a book. He tried to use stances and techniques, but at the wrong time and in the wrong way. I would hope that if he ever did go to a school, the instructor would have taught the proper uses of stances, and proper closing techniques.

Latest Discussions