Kumdo????????

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An article in the current issue (July 2003) of Budo Intl. magazine discusses Master Han Sang Hyun and Haidong Gumdo.

F

FastEd

I had a look at your webpage and I was wondering if you could explain the difference between the International Haidong Kumdo Federation and the Korean Haidong Kumdo Association? Is one the International federation and the other the representative national organization ?

F

FastEd

Originally posted by abzack
For practice cutting we use a thin Mok Kum (wood sword) to cut newspaper. As for the influence, I could only speculate. I have never studied the Japanese arts. From what I have seen, Haedong Kumdo has similarities to Iaido (sp?), Kenjutsu, and Kendo, which I believe are three separate arts in Japan.
:soapbox: If you ask a Korean, Korea influenced Japanese sword arts. If you ask a Japanese, Japan influenced Korean sword arts. A better answer might be that the historical relationship between Korea, Japan, and China influenced all three countries , the people, and the arts.
I have been reading the Muye Dobo Tongji (an ancient Korean martial arts manual, written by Yi Duk-moo, Park Je-ga and Pak Dong-soo in 1790). This gives some insight into the relationships between the three countries and the arts from the Korean perspective.
http://www.turtlepress.com/mdtja.html

I have seen Haedong Gumdo, and it looks nothing like Iaido, more like Chinese Tai chi/Wushu Saber done with a sword that looks somewhat like a Japanese style Katana. I have know idea what its origins are.

Haedong Gumdo armour and fighting style looks nothing like Kendo. Certianly not traditional kendo.

I have seen no paired partner practices that look anything like traditional Japanese kenjutsu.

That begin said, there is the KOREA KUMDO ASSOCIATION which is a member of the International Kendo Federation.

A

abzack

"I had a look at your webpage and I was wondering if you could explain the difference between the International Haidong Kumdo Federation and the Korean Haidong Kumdo Association? Is one the International federation and the other the representative national organization ?"

-Actually, I was not aware of the relationship between the IHF and the KHA until I received my Dan Jung. I received one from the IHF and one from the KHA. So to answer your question, "Yes, IHF is the international and KHA is the national (Korea)".

"I have seen Haedong Gumdo, and it looks nothing like Iaido, more like Chinese Tai chi/Wushu Saber done with a sword that looks somewhat like a Japanese style Katana. I have know idea what its origins are."

-Haidong Kumdo origins are Korean.

"Haedong Gumdo armour and fighting style looks nothing like Kendo. Certianly not traditional kendo."
-There are different areas of study under Haidong Kumdo, including full armour sparring.

"I have seen no paired partner practices that look anything like traditional Japanese kenjutsu."
-We do paired partner practices with both the mok kum (wood sword) and the kyok kum (bamboo sword).

"That begin said, there is the KOREA KUMDO ASSOCIATION which is a member of the International Kendo Federation."
-I do not know if this is the same as the KHA

I am back in the US now. I still practice Haidong Kumdo, now at the AAA US Taekwondo College. It is World Haidong Gumdo Federation / USA Haidong Gumdo Association. There are some slight differences, but nothing major.
:asian:

M

miguksaram

Please forgive me for coming late into the discussion. I am a practioner of Daehan Kumdo for 4 years. Yes Daehan Kumdo is pretty much the same as Japanese Kendo however we do practice forms that are distinctively Korean. Also, we practice Kumsul which is the drawing of the sword and cutting.

Haidong Kumdo has more of a chinese flavor in the way they do their forms and cutting. It is supposedly the "traiditional" Korean sword art, but I don't believe they have a lot of documents supporting this statement.

I have a brief history page on this subject: http://www.koreanma.homestead.com/Kumdo.html

I don't claim this to be the absolute truth, just things I have read in research.

Latest Discussions