KT:Tailoring Kenpo

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Tailoring Kenpo
By parkerkarate - Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:09:15 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Mr. Parker had talked about how many people are chastised for doing things that are not the same way that it was taught. He talks about how people should tailor their system to them self.

He goes on to discuss two examples:
1. A person was trying to buy a suit in a store that only sells size 44 suits, but the individual is a size 40. So the sales man gives him a diet to gain weight. Or visa versa.
2. He than goes on and talks about a staight punch. Visualize your self in a horse stance and there is a vertical line infront of you. When throwing a straight punch you can turn your fist the very moment your elbow reaches the line, after the elbow reaches the line, or before you reach the line. All three of these will have the same affect. The underlying principle is torque in each example remains constant. It was the timing that changed not the principle.

"Therefore, if a move changes in appearance yet give an individual maximum effectiveness without changing the underlying principle, IT IS CORRECT."

He than goes on to give many other examples. But what I am trying to say is that event if a person is doing something that is not just like what is taugh but still ends up with the same results as a person that does it the way it is supposed to be they should not be critisized.

That is just like a golfer. Everyone has their own type of swing, but if they end up with great results than it is not wrong.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

kenpotroop

Green Belt
Reaction score
As long as it reaches the same result and you are satisfied with it, could it be wrong. Change isn't always bad.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As long as it reaches the same result and you are satisfied with it, could it be wrong. Change isn't always bad.
I think the point is that, everyone going for the same result is not realistic. I think the Iron worker, watch maker, philosipher analogy touches on this subject quite well.
Sean

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the point is that, everyone going for the same result is not realistic. I think the Iron worker, watch maker, philosipher analogy touches on this subject quite well.
Sean

This attitude is refreshing (as opposed to 'the way we've always done it is right for everyone, all the time, in every situation'). Always glad when I visit the kenpo/kempo section.