KT:Speed vs. Timing vs.Rhythm

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Speed vs. Timing vs.Rhythm
By parkerkarate - Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:31:40 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Three words Speed, Timing, and Rhythm. What the heck do they have to do with each other?

Take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMq-Ar1O1Yg

Are they different? Are they similar? Let's take a look. In that video you saw all three. To me, Mr. Parker had it down pat and Mr. Tatum was and still is fallowing in his steps. Mr. Tatum is the closest person in my eyes that moves like Mr. Parker did. Speed is a primary ingredient of skill, which must be coupled with accuracy. Although this combination takes precedence over power, speed can contribute greatly to increasing power. Speed can be obtained by relaxing, executing direct moves, maintaining a continuous flow of motion, rounding off the corners of angular moves, and by exploding with your action by using proper breathing methods. You must relax until the moment of impact, you should use the shortest, safest, and most effective path that contributes to economy of motion. There should be no lapse or hesitation between moves and you should not stop one action to start another unless resistance forces you to do so.

Timing is a concept that incorporates the principle of economy of motion. In essence it is the regulation of speed and coordinated effort in synchronizing with an opponent's movements. Perfecting this rhythmic marriage makes victory more of a certainty. Timing comes with practice and experience. It is important during combat and timing aids in the development of economy of motion. Timing helps to nullify your opponent's efforts and it allows you t take advantage of your opponent's openings. Timing also increases your ability to become illusive; it also requires the perfection of defensive and offensive synchronization. And timing can incorporate various rhythmic patterns as a means of baffling you opponent.

Broken rhythm is a term that is used by Martial Artists to describe various rhythmic patterns applied in combat. It is a method used to disrupt your opponents timing and thought patterns to work to your advantage. A simplified description would be to say that broken rhythm is a premeditated stuttering motion purposely utilized to disrupt your opponents established time pattern.

These are my thoughs on the subject. What are everyone elses?

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once again, I find that chess is a great way to view this concept. You can play faster or slower, but timing has to do with you ability to function and or gain the advantage from the situation you find yourself in at that moment, not three turns from now or three turns ago.
Sean

Latest Discussions