KT:Question For Doc

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Question For Doc
By MJS - 03-05-2012 09:07 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

This question is mainly directed to Doc, but of course, anyone else is free to chime in with your thoughts as well.

Ok..here goes....over at Martial Talk, there is currently a 20+ page thread...actually, closer to 30 pages now..lol...on the discussion of the technique Sword and Hammer. The thread was started by Ras, basically comparing his version of S&H and the version that we see in many schools. Ras states that the reason his version looks nothing like what we typically see, is because Mr. Parker never intended for there to be a set version, that what we see in something like "Big Red" was a guide..nothing more. Mr. Parker wanted people to craft their own expression of all of the techniques.

Now, I find this interesting, because if that was the case, then I'd imagine there'd be numerous versions of the techs. I'd have 'my' expression, Ras would have his, my students would have theirs, and so forth. I further stated that if that was the case, then when people went to seminars, it'd be close to impossible for the person giving the seminar, to teach people. Ex: Lets say Larry Tatum was giving a seminar. He'd have his version, along with the other 100 people at the event, so how could any learning be done, if everyone is doing something different?

So, in that thread, I asked some questions, to which I received some answers, but not really answering my questions fully, so here I am...coming to the source (Doc) in hopes to have my curiosity satisfied. :)

1) Doc, do you teach the techs that're found in Big Red? If so, what changes, if any, have you made to them? I was told that you may not wish to divulge alot of info regarding what you do, and thats fine. :)

2) If the techs were to be used as just a guide, and we were in fact supposed to create our own expression, why do we see the majority of schools out there, teaching the same way?

3) Doc, in another thread, you mentioned that you don't allow your students to engage in any "What if/Even if" talk, until way later in training. At what point do you allow this?

4) Did Mr. Parker want everyone to form their own expressions of the techs? If so, then woudn't we have what I said above....a ton of different versions of a tech?

Just a closing note: I'm mainly looking to have these 4 questions answered. I understand the thread may drift a bit from the 4 questions, however, I'm not looking at rehashing a thread similar to the current one at MT.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Latest Discussions