KT:Excerpts from Parker's last interview

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Excerpts from Parker's last interview
By Doc - Sat, 03 Mar 2007 03:07:40 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

In 1990 Karate International Magazine conducted the last interview that Kenpo Grandmaster, Ed Parker gave. This magazine went defunct the year following Parker's untimely death. This should provide quite a bit of foder for discussion.

Question: Master Parker, some people have been saying that you never studied with James Mitose?

Parker: I never did study with Mitose, I saw him when I was 16 years old and he showed me nothing. chow on the other hand was impressive.

Question: James Mitose went to prison later, didn't he?

Parker: Yes he went to prison. As a matter of policy, he could not have taught his art to anyone. Therefore the people who claimed to have earned diplomas from him during his time are mistaken. Someone named Gollub, a Ju-Jitsu practitioner, when confronted about this, he said the certificate was for the spiritual side of the art, not the physical side, making the certificate worthless.

Question: It's my understanding that Mitose had quite an extensive prison record?

Parker: Yes he did. One of the prison guards who was in my association gave me his rap sheet. Mitose was arrested in 1935 for attempted rape and also for extortion. He was quite a con man. Mitose used to wear a minister's outfit all the time, but he wasn't a legitimate minister. In the early 70's when he was a guest in my home, Mitose tried to entice me into working with him. He talked about raising ten million dollars to build a Kenpo temple and he wanted me to run it. I told him that I didn't want any part of his schemes. They're now saying that they're going to come out with the true other half of the Kenpo story. I know the Kenpo story. I
was a part of it.

Question: A lot of people would like to know how Seagal got started in films?

Parker: Seagal has an Aikido school. When I stopped teaching, Joe Hyams one of my students, went over to Seagal. Joe was the one who introduced Seagal to his wife Kelly LeBrock. Seagal was also teaching a guy by the name of Michael Ouitz, also a former student of mine. Michael is perhaps the single most powerful talent agent in the business. It was through his conversations with Michael that Seagal got into the business. Mike had a lot to do with Seagal's success. I've also heard that Seagal's getting two million dollars for his next film.

Question: Do you have much contact with Chuck Norris?
Parker: We talk now and then. The last time that I talked with Chuck, he said that he was considering doing martial art films instead of action films.

Question: Are you still working with producer Blake Edwards?

Parker: Blake Edwards and I still talk. I've got a number of ideas that I've discussed with Blake.

Question: Is it true that you're producing a number of videotapes of your Kenpo system for the public?

Parker: I'm presently working on 50 Kenpo tapes. What I'm trying to do is have all styles and systems, listen to what I have to say. I'm not going to try to convert them to Kenpo people. What I'm trying to do with the tapes, is to make them think logically and then apply it to their own system. My son … is helping me produce (the) tapes. The tapes will be of a very sophisticated nature and we're taking a psychological approach to my instructional videos.

Question: It's well known that you're a good businessman. how did you develop your business sense?

Parker: I was in a very unique situation when I began teaching. I started teaching at the Beverly Wilshire Health Club. I had a lot of students who were Millionaires. While they paid me for lessons, I received free lessons in business from them. One producer in particular said to me; When you go into business there are two thing you have to remember; each having two parts. One, will it be easy to get into the business? If so, then will it be easy to get out? Two, you're going to have successes as well as failures? Most people will take the time to examine their failures. Give equal time to examine your success as well as failure. Then you might discover another 20-30 percent increase in your business. that's how I got smart in business. I learned from the best.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Latest Discussions