KT:A question of Rank, Promotion and Lineage?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
A question of Rank, Promotion and Lineage?
By The Master - Tue, 08 Jan 2008 20:20:12 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

While combating extreme boredom I decided to visit some other kenpo forums. The differences between this one and those in manners, civility and maturity were quite obvious, with those others being quite lacking in the basics of polite intercourse, even delving into the obscene as standard operating procedure.

While there I found several strings hammering one of the members here about an upcoming promotion. Now, I am not starting this missive in an attempt to drag that feces across the floor here nor hammer this young man. Others much less washed than I have already shown their true mettle quite clearly elsewhere.

My question is a somewhat complex one that does tie into that.

Most of the arts I have researched cease new material at low rank, and begin turning to time-in, financial and political promotion standards. People are physically tested up to somewhere around 3rd, and after that they are not required to step up and demonstrate their skill and mastery for future promotion. I take it from those discussions (if one can call such hatred a discussion) that EPAK holds to different standards? If so, and I realize the answer may vary by organization, up to what point does promotion require a demonstration of skill and when does one cease having to show and instead is then promoted based on time in or other considerations?

Is this a topic that one can discuss here, in a mature manner?

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
For my 6th we still had to show our skill levels with material not taught to 4th or below....We fight mostly...concentrating on those skills derived from everything we've learned...My instructor encouraged we should not "look" as we did in previuos rankings.....My personal belief is your fighting style should look like it did when youe were black, 2nd, etc....if it does then you're not really learning....You can learn more material but if what we want all material for (fighting) hasn't developed at the same rate then what have we learned....

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
For my 6th we still had to show our skill levels with material not taught to 4th or below....We fight mostly...concentrating on those skills derived from everything we've learned...My instructor encouraged we should not "look" as we did in previous rankings.....My personal belief is your fighting style should not look like it did when yoU were black, 2nd, etc....if it does then you're not really learning....You can learn more material but if what we want all material for (fighting) hasn't developed at the same rate then what have we learned....
>>>CORRECTION..TYPO..

Latest Discussions