Koryo

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anybody have a video of the older version of Koryo before the made the changes pre 1974. I have a book with it and paper with diagrams but the tape I had it on was accidently destoyed by my youngest son.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyone know why the changes were made anyway? Was it politics again?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody have a video of the older version of Koryo before the made the changes pre 1974. I have a book with it and paper with diagrams but the tape I had it on was accidently destoyed by my youngest son.

I would love to hear anything about the pre '74 Koryo. I haven't seen any book or diagram, let alone a tape!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to hear anything about the pre '74 Koryo. I haven't seen any book or diagram, let alone a tape!

Lauren after I move to the new school in February I will scan and send you my paperwork

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow! Sir that would be great! If you don't mine, I'll remind you in March or so (I know you must have a lot on your plate right now). :)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It will differently be in March with the move and then the seminar in mid February with the rest of the brunch from here.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
The 1967 version is the only version I learned and practice. Yet, I am amazed that I cannot find a book or video with this version. Most people only know the 1974 version nowadays.

The now-defunct Karate Illustrated magazine published an article detailing the 1967 version with photos. I forget which month in 1969, but can find out as a copy hangs on the wall at the HQ Chayon-Ryu dojang in Houston. Grandmaster Kim Soo was featured demonstrating this form. The article title is something to the effect of "The new forms from Korea: Koryo." That article would probably be a valuable document to have these days if you can dig up a copy.

R. McLain

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The 1967 version is the only version I learned and practice. Yet, I am amazed that I cannot find a book or video with this version. Most people only know the 1974 version nowadays.

The now-defunct Karate Illustrated magazine published an article detailing the 1967 version with photos. I forget which month in 1969, but can find out as a copy hangs on the wall at the HQ Chayon-Ryu dojang in Houston. Grandmaster Kim Soo was featured demonstrating this form. The article title is something to the effect of "The new forms from Korea: Koryo." That article would probably be a valuable document to have these days if you can dig up a copy.

R. McLain

Didn't we talk about this awhile back, and didn't someone say they would try to put a video of themselves on youtube or similar so those of us who haven't been in the arts since the middle ages could see the old Koryo? Not saying it was you sir, but wasn't it someone? anyone?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd love to see a video of the old Koryo myself. So I guess Kim Soo's students are the only people that still practice it today?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Didn't we talk about this awhile back, and didn't someone say they would try to put a video of themselves on youtube or similar so those of us who haven't been in the arts since the middle ages could see the old Koryo? Not saying it was you sir, but wasn't it someone? anyone?

I beleive I said I would but to be honest I simply forgot. I can try to have this done in the future after the move.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to see a video of the old Koryo myself. So I guess Kim Soo's students are the only people that still practice it today?

No, there are still others around. In Arlington, I've seen Grandmaster Roy Kurban's students still practicing it (Master Michael Johnson, Master Ronnie Ramsey, etc.). I saw at UT-Arlington that Master Johnson was teaching some of the 1st Dan black Belt University Martial Art Association students this form. Seems to me Grandmaster Kurban sent some of his black belts around 1969-1970 to learn Koryo from Grandmaster Kim Soo.

There must be others around practicing it other than this in Arlington as well as other parts of the world. I've just never personally seen it.

R. McLain

McZ

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i've got one video but is little diffrent version which i learned.

Last edited by a moderator:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, very cool! It has similiar techniques to a Chang Hon form or two. But then again, many forms have similiar techniques.

Gizmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are minor differences comparing to the version we do in our club (it's the favourite form of one of my blackbelt students :) ). I'm currently browsing through my archives to find any decent footage of this pattern from a demo or a tournament. It I will find any, I'll post it as well.

Latest Discussions