Korean Terms

S

ShaolinWolf

Well, I thought we needed a section to display the Korean Language. If any of you guys have anything to contribute, go ahead. I myself need to learn some more Korean, as do we all.

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

TaeKwonDo - The Art of the Hand and Foot
Chagi - Kick
Chigi - Punch
Ap Chagi - Front Kick
Yup Chagi - Side Kick
Doll Rye Chagi - Roundhouse Kick
Chiki Chagi - Crescent Kick
Ap Hurya Chagi - Hooking Kick
Eidan Dwet Yup Chagi - Jump Reverse Side Kick
Eidan - Jump
Dwet - Reverse
Dobok - Uniform
Ba-roh - Come Back to Ready Position
Dojang - Martial Arts School
Dan - Degree
Kyung-Nay - Bow
Cha-ree-yut - Attention
Jhoon-Bee - Ready(or Ready Position)
Si-juk - Being
Kam-sa-ham-ni-da - Thank you
Boo-sah-buh-nim - Trainee Instructor
Sah-buh-nim - Instructor

Sah-buh-nim Kae - Face Instructor under 7th degree
Sah-hyun-nim Kae - Face Master Instructor 7th-8th degree
Sah-syun-nim Kae - Face Grandmaster Instructor 9th degree
Hana - 1
Tul(Dul) - 2
Set - 3
Net - 4
Daseot - 5
Yaseot - 6
Ilgeup - 7
Yeodol - 8
Ahhop - 9
Yeol - 10

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

Twee-do-too-tah - Change feet or change direction toward back
Keu-mahn - Stop
Shyo - Relax, hands crossed behind the back

OP
M

Moo D

Shaolinwolf,

Here we go with some more,

Chuk sut sit down
Kyrung mat cho so by the count
Bal ba rigo mao sagi duck stance
Kyrung upshi without count
tia look
dwee do tora turn to rear
Kong Kyuk attack
Mahk kee block
Moo roop Knee
shi shan Eye Focus

I will add more later,

Regards,

OP
I

ipscshooter

A question related to this thread: Do you guys consider gaining a knowledge of Korean terminology an essential part of learning TKD?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ipscshooter In my humble opion is yes it is vital for them to atleast understand the terminology if they are going to compete in tournaments since that is how it is done at every tournament I've been to. God Bless America

OP
M

Moo D

ipscshooter said:
A question related to this thread: Do you guys consider gaining a knowledge of Korean terminology an essential part of learning TKD?
It is a korean MA, therefore good etiquette requests that we learn the terminology in it's native language. This gives us some added value in learning a small portion of a different language.

Pil Sung!!

OP
I

ipscshooter

Terry - Thanks for the reply. Our instructor teaches ITF-style TKD and uses Korean terminology for all the techniques during class. But, does not test on it, and does not require knowledge of the terminology in order to advance.

All of the tournaments I've been to in Texas (in Houston, Austin and San Antonio) have been open-style tournaments, where practitioners from a wide variety of martial arts styles compete. I have yet to attend a tournament where anyone used Korean terminology.

Perhaps because I study at a school that teaches ITF-style TKD, I have a slightly biased view. But, I believe that Gen. Choi, while proclaiming the Korean heritage of TKD, considered it a universal martial art, not a strictly Korean martial art, and I think he even went so far as to accuse those who tried to claim it as purely Korean art to be "bastardizing" TKD. It seems to me that he would not have thought that knowledge of Korean terminology was necessary, so long as the student mastered the techniques and the philosophy.

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

Yeah, I think we should learn all Korean words. But please don't turn this into a debate about whether or not we should learn the Korean Terms. That's pointless. To each his own. I just want to learn more Korean words. My instructors know some. One in particular can speak alot of phrases and is constantly telling everyone the korean name for each technique. Anyways, It's to each his own.

Please don't turn this into a debate, just talk state terms and corrections and just talk about it. This is a Korean art, so it's up to the practitioner if he/she wants to know the korean language.

:asian:

P.S. On another note, I haven't been to any tournys that have been in Korean, mostly the WTF or uses that. ATA and alot of WTF tourneys aren't in KOREAN. It's just a matter of furthering one's knowledge.

OP
I

ipscshooter

I agree, to each his own. I wasn't wanting to debate, just curious as to what other schools required. As a contribution, here is some Korean terminology:
DOJANG COMMANDS
Chul sah --- Line up
Cha ryut --- Come to Attention Stance
Kyung yet --- Bow
Doe rah --- Turn
Dee row doe rah --- Turn Around and Face Opposite Direction
Bah row --- Return to Starting Position
Shee oh --- Turn Around and Be At Ease; Fix Uniform; Tie Belt
Chun bee --- Ready Stance
Shee jak --- Begin
Ppalli --- Fast
Ta si --- Again; Repeat Movement
Go man --- Stop
An joo --- Assume Sitting Position
Ill ah suh dah --- Stand Up
Kyo dae --- Change Position; Switch
Mook nyum --- Meditate
Hae san --- Class is over; dismissed
DIRECTIONS
Right --- Woo
Left --- Chwa
Up --- Nee raw
Down --- Nae ryuh jah
Front ---Ap
Back ---- Chwa twee
Side ---- Yop
GENERAL PHRASES
Thank you --- Kam sah hah dah
Thank you very much --- Ko mop sup nee dah
You are welcome --- Won chun mun yeo
I am sorry (excuse me) --- Mee ahn ham nee dah Understand? --- Al dah
No --- Ah nee
Yes --- Nae
Hello or Goodbye --- An yong

GENERAL TERMINOLOGY
Dojang --- School or Training hall
Kwan --- Federation or Association
Jee jah --- Student
Kup or Gup --- Grade; Rank lower than Black Belt
Yu kup jah --- Holder of color belt grade
Dan --- Degree; Black Belt levels
Yu dan jah --- Holder of Black Belt Degrees
Ko dan jah --- Senior Black Belt holder
Kyo sah --- Assistant instructor; May be color belt as well as black belt (also Boosahbom)​
Sah bom --- Instructor or Teacher
Sah bom nim --- Head Instructor of School
Ko sah bom --- Senior Instructor
Kwan jang nim --- Head of School; Head Master of School or Grand-master
Seu sang --- Grandmaster
Nim --- Sir; term added to title as sign of respect
Do bok --- Uniform
Dee --- Belt
Hyung --- Form or Pattern (I.T.F. Style)
Poomse --- Pattern of Movement (W.T.F. Style)

KOREAN MARTIAL ARTS
Tae kwon do --- Art of Hand and Foot Fighting; Founded by General Hong Hi Choi
Chang-Hun Style --- Blue Cottage (the I.T.F. Style)
Moo Duk Kwan --- Martial Virtue School (the W.T.F. Style)
Hapkido --- Art of Coordinated Power
Hosin do --- Art of Self-defense
Sungja do --- Winners Way; Way of the Winner
Tae-Pung Kwan --- The Great Storm School (Hosin do Style)
Tang Soo do --- Art of the China Hand
Mooki do --- Art of Weapons
Tae kyon --- Ancient Korean Kicking Martial Art
Soo Bak do --- Ancient Korean Martial Art
Yu Kwon Sul --- Art of Yielding Hand (forerunner to Hapkido)
Also, here's a good site that has a lot of terminology, as well as audio clips for pronunciation help... http://www.itatkd.com/terminology.html

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ipscshooter said:
Terry - Thanks for the reply. Our instructor teaches ITF-style TKD and uses Korean terminology for all the techniques during class. But, does not test on it, and does not require knowledge of the terminology in order to advance.

All of the tournaments I've been to in Texas (in Houston, Austin and San Antonio) have been open-style tournaments, where practitioners from a wide variety of martial arts styles compete. I have yet to attend a tournament where anyone used Korean terminology.

Perhaps because I study at a school that teaches ITF-style TKD, I have a slightly biased view. But, I believe that Gen. Choi, while proclaiming the Korean heritage of TKD, considered it a universal martial art, not a strictly Korean martial art, and I think he even went so far as to accuse those who tried to claim it as purely Korean art to be "bastardizing" TKD. It seems to me that he would not have thought that knowledge of Korean terminology was necessary, so long as the student mastered the techniques and the philosophy.
Well my school here in Arlington TX. Does both itf and wtf forms we just got back from a A.A.U. tournament in Arkansas on the 15th of May, where they do both itf and wtf and all they was using korean termology, as for turning this into a he say she say . I will have to agree with the other reader, it only matters to you and me what we would like to learn, my wife is Puerto Rican and my three son's has learned spanish, along with the basic korean language,I think if you feel you need to know it great but It's not mandatory here in America to learn anything except English in school while you are going up. ( God Bless America)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
ipscshooter said:

I don't. Can't speak for anyone else tho.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Ipscshooter In my humble opion is yes it is vital for them to atleast understand the terminology if they are going to compete in tournaments since that is how it is done at every tournament I've been to. God Bless America
You could always change the tournament.
Sean

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

I thought this was a interesting thread although I doubt I would be able to remember any more Korean words in my head without alot of work. We just say the basic opening and closing words in Korean during class. But in tournaments they use Bah roh, Dorrah, Joon Be, Si Jak, Go Mahn, She Oh commands. When I was a colored belt, it was very confusing but I learned from others and through embarrassment that I was supposed to turn around! etc. Now as a judge, I have to use the same words to confuse others. I suppose its really confusing to the other stylist tournament competitors in our Opens.

Our non-Korean instructor keeps trying to teach us counting– why I have no idea–we would never use it. I know - never say never - it will surely be at our next test! Also, it seems like everybody says Korean different and spells it different. (no handbook handed down)

I like the tradition handed down, with the opening and closing of class, the tenets etc. but on the other hand some stuff, like these words at the tournament are, I feel, just unnecessary.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think it is necessary to learn the basic words and history of whatever art you study. Not just because it is useful knowledge, but because it adds to your training in a way that includes the mental process. It encourages thought, discipline and respect for the art and it's origins.

The only korean terms I haven't seen that I know is:
Assistant instructor - Kio-sa-nim
Continue - Kee-Soke
stop - Mum-cho

A side-note Ku-Man is end, which is only slightly different than stop.

Latest Discussions