Korean Sword Cutting Practice Video Clip!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like a nice job cutting but was'nt he a little out of control when he made his turn with his feet. Just my observation.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice job cutting but was'nt he a little out of control when he made his turn with his feet. Just my observation.

Personally I felt he was out of control throughout and yet I am always
interested in watching Korean Swordsmanship in all it's forms.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do you know it's Korean? The weapon looked Japanese, and the general presentation and technique looked Japanese, based on my very limited exposure to this type of thing.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you know it's Korean? The weapon looked Japanese, and the general presentation and technique looked Japanese, based on my very limited exposure to this type of thing.

Oh it is definately Korean as I pulled it off a Korean site. Plus I have seen Korean Gumdo practitioners do the cutting. As to the similarity well there are immense similarities between Korean and Japanese swordsmanship.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Surprisingly enough....[sarcasm]....Korean swords look a lot like Japanese swords. For that matter, Korean Sword arts have some big similarities to Japanese sword arts in general.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being cautious not to make style specific nit-picks here but the footwork was not good for anything other than repeated cross-cuts against a static target.

The entire point of tamashagiri is to check that your cutting technique is clean and if this is not done from within appropriate posture then it has no value (or at least no more (or no less) than any of the 'cutting party for fun' vids that are out there in Netland).

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually enjoued the 'out of control' element to it. Thanks for posting this Brian.

Latest Discussions