Kong Su Do

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anybody out there train in Kong Su Do? From my research it was a Korean offshoot of Shotokan karate originally brought to Korea by college students back around 1955 or so. I trained in it from 1966 to 1969. My lineage in Kong Su Do was Loren Christensen and Bruce Terrill. Bruce learned it from Moon Yo Woo, who was a medical student in Portland, Oregon back in 1958. After reading Gichin Funakoshi's book, Karate Do Kyohan, I was surprised how close the kata in that book were to what I learned. Anyone out there with more data?

Yours,
Dan Anderson

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
The style of TKD I'm in is based from Shotokan karate, and quite a few of our forms are nearly identical (hand positions for blocks and foot placings are a little bit different- and they're given a Korean name), but you can definitely see the one form in the other. However, there is forms from Korea for different belt levels. My association started from one of Funakoshi's students. Sorry if it isn't really what you were looking for, just a little of FYI on another style of TKD that is at least somewhat related.

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you. It was interesting to see that. Our forms were very Shotokan based. Then I read a 4 part article in Dragon Times on the history of taekwondo and saw where Kong Su fit in. Anyone else out there know more data?

Yours,
Dan Anderson

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kong Soo Do was one of the early forms of Tae Kwon Do after WWII. It was the Korean translation of "The Way of the Empty Hand". In other words it was Karate practiced in Korea. Each original Kwan had its own name for what it taught: Tang Soo Do, Kong Soo Do, Kwon Bop, Hwa Soo Do, Tae Soo Do etc. After the Kwans unified, all names except Tang Soo Do were discarded. So Kong Soo Do no longer exists. Neither does Kwon Bop, Hwa Soo Do, Tae Soo Do etc. These names were discarded in favor of a name that reflected Korean heritage. Kong Soo Do still refers to Japanese karate. Hence Tae Kwon Do-The Korean Art of Hand and Foot Fighting.

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, that much I know. The book Moon Woo wrote actually had the Chinese ideograms for karate on the cover. I'm wondering did anyone out there also train in Kong Su?

Yours,
Dan Anderson

M

miguksaram

Anyone training in Kongsudo is just training in karate (most likely Shotokan). Kongsudo is the Korean work for karate. Nothing more. Technically I am training in Shorei-ryu style of Kongsudo. :)

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kong soo do is still around! There are a few school's still in Korea, and The head guy's say it is transplanted Shotokan. I will see if i can find the info again. Mithios

Latest Discussions