knife related court case info?

L

Liam_G

Hi, folks,

I usually post over in the FMA section, but thought I'd try this one over here to get your insights. Tulisan has brought up some info relating to this one in his thread also ... here goes ...

One of the columns I like most in Combat Handguns is Massad Ayoob's description of court cases involving self defense with a firearm. I know he's controversial, but I like this column. He goes into detail on the circumstances, and what tricks the prosecutors and civil lawyers try. I would love to see something similar for knives, dealing with the circumstances of using a knife for defense, the aftermath in the legal and civil courts, how to not end up with the jury thinking you're a psychotic slasher just because you know how to defend yourself with a blade, etc. Does anyone know of any resource that has information like this (i.e., info about knife-related court cases, what went right, what went wrong, lessons learned, etc.)? God forbid any of us are ever in that situation of being forced to use what we know, but it would be good to know what happens next ...

Respectfully,
Liam

OP
N

Northstorm

Last week I was surfing the web and I found something similar to what you are asking about. Unfortunately I can not find it now to offer you the link. I will keep looking. But I do remember that while a 3" blade was not considered a "deadly weapon", a 3 1/4" blade was allowed to be introduced as such. Also any knife that has a button that releases the blade tension for quick opening, no matter what blade length, makes it a deadly weapon.

I always emphasize that we need to carry single edged blades, less than 3" long. These knives should not be in the pocket, which prosecuters attempt to consider "concealed". In Michigan, if the knife is hanging on your belt (even if it is a longer blade making it a deadly weapon) it is not considered concealed, and the punishment for using it is reduced.

The trick is to make sure the knife you carry is considered a utility knife for all practical purposes, and that you just happened to use in self defense. That is much easier to do if the blade is less than 3" in length and doesn't have any unique features that release the tension for fast opening. And if you carry it in plain site.

Smaller knives are often difficult to carry on your hip, so I prefer the clip on the pocket, so as to let others see that you are not hiding it. That seems to be an important issue in court.

If you prefer the larger folding knives like a traditional buck hunter, you can cut back the blade, while maintaining the longer handle. A long handle really helps you in a self-defense application, and the shorter blade will keep you out of trouble. I have asked Buck if they will put a smaller "ranger" blade in a "hunter" handle, and they are looking into it. But the traditional buck really hangs well on the hip, and doesn't create a scene when carrying it in public places.

NorthStorm

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Northstorm, Enjoy the information. Nice to know to keep the knife on the belt or plain view and under 3" inches. I carry a razor blade cutter and the blade is about 1'inch long, in the pocket, didn't realize this is concealment. We make delivers to stores and have to use our razor to cut boxes and bundles of wrap goods. Many times we forget to take it out of our pockets at the airports, we found by taking out the blades they let us thru the screening, and we get to keep the holders. Aloha

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Indiana there are no restrictions on blades other than they can NOT be mechanically deployed (switchblades) or throwing stars.

Other than that, you can carry a sword on your person if you like...concealed or openly. It might raise eyebrows, but it is legal.

Check local statutes and talk to local police and attorneys to find out what limitations you face in your area. Laws concerning blades are not universal in the United States.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions