Knee injuries

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A friend of mine who trains in karate banged up one his knees a couple times in the past month. And now every time he squats or presses his knee into his chest he feels pain. He describes it as if something in his knees is pinching something every time he bends it. Other than that, there is no swelling or inflammation. Just some discomfort. It got a bit worse when doing cardio on the elliptical.

He is going to lay off training for awhile. He thinks it might be a torn meniscus and plans on seeing an acupuncturist. I told him go see a doctor.

Not that I am a doctor but it does sound like a meniscus tear. Anyone ever had that type of injury? What other knee injuries are common in martial arts and how do recover from them.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
A friend of mine who trains in karate banged up one his knees a couple times in the past month. And now every time he squats or presses his knee into his chest he feels pain. He describes it as if something in his knees is pinching something every time he bends it. Other than that, there is no swelling or inflammation. Just some discomfort. It got a bit worse when doing cardio on the elliptical.

He is going to lay off training for awhile. He thinks it might be a torn meniscus and plans on seeing an acupuncturist. I told him go see a doctor.

Not that I am a doctor but it does sound like a meniscus tear. Anyone ever had that type of injury? What other knee injuries are common in martial arts and how do recover from them.

I have 'knee pain' related to having FAI ( hip spurs ). Had surgery and hopefully my related knee problem will go away soon. I can't do any low stances ( for wushu ).

Also a student of mine twisted her knee while doing a routine. She twisted her knee, but there was no long term damage. Just inflammation/swelling. She needed to rest for about 8 months. Just for a regular strain!

If possible, your friend should see an orthopedic doctor, I would think.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes... see an ortho.

An acupuncturist is good for pain remediation & such, but if there's damage, an ortho is the only way to go.

I had my right knee rotor-rootered in '90 after I blew it out teaching a kicking class & the guy holding my target moved causing a hyper extension.

See an ortho.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Definitely see a doctor, and as stated, an ortho if at all possible. It may be nothing - but if it's not, then the longer your friend waits, the more damage may occur.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

My suggestion would be for him to get to a doctor asap! Quite a few years ago, I came very close to tearing my ACL, while grappling with a careless newb. I felt like I was 90, and was walking like I was 90 too! LOL! Had an MRI, which showed some damage. Went to the Ortho who sent me to PT. Went 3x/week, where I did strength building exercises. Before I knew it, I was back to normal. :)

Better to be safe than sorry.

V-Dawn

White Belt
Reaction score
I was testing 3 months ago (Kempo) for my last blue and landed a jump wrong...I had done the defense maneuver 1000 times or more and thought nothing of the small jump in it. Well, long story short, my knee buckled completely sideways and I ended up on the floor writhing in pain then couldn't hold my own weight on it at all. On landing my foot stuck, but my body continued turning... A month later I had an ACL replacement and have been in a brace from my rear to my ankle since. Turns out when it snapped it took bone with it and mangled a bunch of other stuff in there. Not a fun surgery or recovery at all and I miss training horribly. So now I have to modify my training and have probably 6 more months of PT before I can attempt to pivot. I couldn't throw a kick with that leg if I wanted to, but I'll get there eventually ;) Most painful test ever lol (but I got my belt)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was testing 3 months ago (Kempo) for my last blue and landed a jump wrong...I had done the defense maneuver 1000 times or more and thought nothing of the small jump in it. Well, long story short, my knee buckled completely sideways and I ended up on the floor writhing in pain then couldn't hold my own weight on it at all. On landing my foot stuck, but my body continued turning... A month later I had an ACL replacement and have been in a brace from my rear to my ankle since. Turns out when it snapped it took bone with it and mangled a bunch of other stuff in there. Not a fun surgery or recovery at all and I miss training horribly. So now I have to modify my training and have probably 6 more months of PT before I can attempt to pivot. I couldn't throw a kick with that leg if I wanted to, but I'll get there eventually ;) Most painful test ever lol (but I got my belt)
Sorry to hear about your injury, and glad to hear you're on the mend.

But let me pull a lesson out of it... You were performing a self-defense technique, as practiced, and probably on a good surface -- and the way you did it left you vulnerable to serious injury and trapped. I suspect you couldn't have walked, let alone run had it been a real situation. Jumps look cool, and there absolutely are times when they're appropriate -- but they are risky!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have a torn Meniscus and a wife that is a rather highly qualified acupuncturist (TCM OMD) and she sent me to an Ortho and it took 6 months, 3 doctors, 2 knee draining sessions, several X-rays and an MRI to find out what I had done.

Knee injuries.....see a Bone Doc.

V-Dawn

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your injury, and glad to hear you're on the mend.

But let me pull a lesson out of it... You were performing a self-defense technique, as practiced, and probably on a good surface -- and the way you did it left you vulnerable to serious injury and trapped. I suspect you couldn't have walked, let alone run had it been a real situation. Jumps look cool, and there absolutely are times when they're appropriate -- but they are risky!

Lol to clarify it is more of a hop with a stomp to the person attacking. When we practice this we cannot actually stomp our partners chest so we straddle. I don't know that we have ever been taught any "cool looking" jumps, nor at my age could perfom them. We like to stay on our feet in my studio. Had I landed on my attacker, as I would were my life actually threatened, I assure it would have been he not getting back up ;)

Latest Discussions