Knee Brace Free So Far

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been fortunate. After 12-15 yrs of wearing knee braces, I am happy to say I haven't worn the titanium in two months. I have worked really hard, after getting knocked around the way I had in the USMC, 92-97 left me pretty banged up.

Fortunately, as luck would have it with perseverance, hard work, surgeries, physical therapy and lots of kicking drills I have been able to be brace free. It still hurts like crazy, always will. Still need a cane at times as I am now really trying to conquer a back problem.

Slow and steady wins the race, it always has and always will.

Have a happy thanksgiving tomorrow everyone.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
:highfive:

Just something extra on this Thanksgiving Day.............

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Courage in your battle has carried you far, my friend. I wish you well and hope that your upwards trend continues.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you,

Arthritis and the injuries will always hurt, however......one step at a time. Overcoming adversity is a term, like awesome that are often over used and misunderstood however if understood and applied correctly nice things come along once and a while.

I am a very spiritual person, being a Scot Presbyterian Martial Artists growing up with the father I did. Well it is easy to say all things come easy in comprehension. However, I will tell you it is a humbling experience. I am writing all this for those who may read that have injuries or set backs. I am here to tell you guys that after a lot of patience, luck, and help you may not be able to be the rubber band you once were. However, with hard training you can achieve a lot of recovery.

For instance, for a long time it hurt too bad to kick with my back leg due to the knee torque. I could do a few reps but that was it. However I did double reps with my front leg, slower and isometrically.

Flexibility is also essential. Hip, hamstring, back.....the whole gambit......work range of motion the best you can. It always sounds easy when reading. However, it is very hard in discipline. But isn't that a big aspect if not the most important aspect of a true martial artist.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you,

Arthritis and the injuries will always hurt, however......one step at a time. Overcoming adversity is a term, like awesome that are often over used and misunderstood however if understood and applied correctly nice things come along once and a while.

I am a very spiritual person, being a Scot Presbyterian Martial Artists growing up with the father I did. Well it is easy to say all things come easy in comprehension. However, I will tell you it is a humbling experience. I am writing all this for those who may read that have injuries or set backs. I am here to tell you guys that after a lot of patience, luck, and help you may not be able to be the rubber band you once were. However, with hard training you can achieve a lot of recovery.

For instance, for a long time it hurt too bad to kick with my back leg due to the knee torque. I could do a few reps but that was it. However I did double reps with my front leg, slower and isometrically.

Flexibility is also essential. Hip, hamstring, back.....the whole gambit......work range of motion the best you can. It always sounds easy when reading. However, it is very hard in discipline. But isn't that a big aspect if not the most important aspect of a true martial artist.
Matt you're an inspiration and an encouragement. Thanks for sharing your personal challenges -- and successes -- so all the rest of us may benefit also. :asian:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you,

What an inspiring post to share. I really like what you said, "But isn't that a big aspect if not the most important aspect of a true martial artist".[/quote]
We all know that MA is about conquering in battle, but to apply that into our own personal experience is the true “warrior sprit”. Thanks.

Latest Discussions