Killer Instinct Training

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because you kill, doesnt make it instinctual. Studies show that soldiers by and large do it because they have to, not out of instinct. And bayonet killing has become (and some historians say always has been) extremely rare. Some studies show that at H2H range many soldiers prefer to club with their weapons rather than thrust with the cold steel. So much so that some now say that the training itself has become almost as much about "channeled aggression" as it is about combat effectiveness.

Col. Grossman believes that the increased lethality of the modern rifleman is due to operative conditioning (do as you are trained) rather than any "killer instinct".

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Heres an interesting article about the nature of human viloence. Even though its titled "Killer Instinct", the author doesnt state that killing itself is "instinctual" only that aggression is a natural phenomena amongst the male of the species. Many (if not all) males are aggressive in defense of territory, competition for mates, etc. but seldomly (granted not "never") kill for it....

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/books/tbs/media_articles/2002_09_03_times.html

"The word, "streetfighter," always bothered me. It reminds me of the term, "killer instinct." There is no such thing as a killer instinct. Journalists conjured up the term to describe the boxer, Jack Dempsey. "Streetfighter" is a word in the dictionary; however, at age 57, I have witnessed many fights, but to date, never a single one has taken place in the street. I think of a so-called "streetfighter" as either being some hoodlum, terrorist, or immature kid often being the one who creates fights. Usually, their "records" consist of beating up some drunks, a few kids, and even probably a couple of poor bums. These types respect violence." -Joe Lewis

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Just because you kill, doesnt make it instinctual. Studies show that soldiers by and large do it because they have to, not out of instinct.

Fine. Let me try this from the other side.

Is your position accurately summed as follows?

"There's no such thing as killer instinct. Therefore, any training that uses that term is worthless?"

Because, you guys are doing a lot of talking about what this type of training is not, like you're denying the premise. But, you're not talking about what aggression / mindset training should be like. From my point of view, it seems like a lot of strawman.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No..just that people who propose that they are teaching their students that they are tapping into some form of "killer instinct" are doing it to appeal to some juvenile interest in being a big tough "killer" which is about ego in many (male) students.

"Mental Toughness Training" and other terms are about not giving up, persevering and enabeling the student to tap into aggression when attacked, not fear. Not about "killing".

Good luck on the stand if you ever have to use lethal force and you attempt to argue that you killed out of "instinct" not necessity. Nonexistant and dangerous from a "winning the postfight" angle.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not only do I still miss the relevance, but now I feel insulted to have participated in such stroking of my male ego.

I stand by my strawman statement, as I don't see what this has to do with the training being discussed.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well...I guess I know whats taught at your school now. I change my mind, "killer instinct" is good, natural and existant...here maybe you can use some of this guys stuff as a training aid.

http://sammyfranco.com/instinctarticle.htm

Viciousness is another critical characteristic of the killer instinct. By viciousness I mean dangerously aggressive behavior or extreme violence.
Good stuff....:shrug:

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Sorry to be a little late to this thread, but I'll try to catch up.

This is my method for training "killer instinct"
1) Get about 2 rolls of quarters, since this is going to be a long sessions.
2) Find an arcade that still has that game, and not KI2, as it's not as good.
3) insert quarter.
4) Choose Orchid, as she's the easiest to start with IMO.
5) Proceed to train Killer Instinct until you run out of quarters.

and don't use one of the cheat guides, as you're only cheating yourself...

:asian:

:D Mood lightened, check. My work here is done. :)

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Well...I guess I know whats taught at your school now. I change my mind, "killer instinct" is good, natural and existant...here maybe you can use some of this guys stuff as a training aid.

http://sammyfranco.com/instinctarticle.htm

Good stuff....:shrug:
Who's that?

What's his relationship to Jeet Kune Do?

You ever been involved in any of his training?

Look, I totally agree that the name is a mysnomer. Why can't you see past the name? I've always seen it used as a metaphor and not really a description of what's involved. If people have been using the same terms as JKD artists to mean something that it's not, then lets define our own terms.

If "Mental Toughness Training" and "taping into aggression" are phrases which more accurately describe the training, then lets use them and move on.

What's your personal mental toughness and / or aggression training like? What's typical for police training?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
Sorry to be a little late to this thread, but I'll try to catch up.

This is my method for training "killer instinct"
1) Get about 2 rolls of quarters, since this is going to be a long sessions.
2) Find an arcade that still has that game, and not KI2, as it's not as good.
3) insert quarter.
4) Choose Orchid, as she's the easiest to start with IMO.
5) Proceed to train Killer Instinct until you run out of quarters.

and don't use one of the cheat guides, as you're only cheating yourself...

:asian:

:D Mood lightened, check. My work here is done. :)

:rofl:......good one.
icon10.gif

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
rutherford said:
Who's that?

What's his relationship to Jeet Kune Do?

You ever been involved in any of his training?

Look, I totally agree that the name is a mysnomer. Why can't you see past the name? I've always seen it used as a metaphor and not really a description of what's involved. If people have been using the same terms as JKD artists to mean something that it's not, then lets define our own terms.

If "Mental Toughness Training" and "taping into aggression" are phrases which more accurately describe the training, then lets use them and move on.

What's your personal mental toughness and / or aggression training like? What's typical for police training?
I agree the name is a mysnomer...however names ARE improtant. Some DA (or attny. in a civil suit) gets ahold of some information that your school trains "killer instinct" or "death touch" or whatever and it will become REAL important to you. If the definition doesnt fit (i.e. you know you arent really training any "killer instinct")and it has a likelyhood of actually being detrimental...change it.

Some of the "mental toughness" training I have experienced/come across have run the gamut from training students to "get angry" when attacked, this is using self talk or developing an attitude of "who the **** does this dirtbag think he is trying to keep me from going home tonight!" instead of "oh my god this guy is trying to kill me!" To specific training methods that start from technique, move to scenarios where the student will always "win" as long as the proper principles/tactics are applied (its been discovered that training a technique then doing a scenario where the student pretty much always looses is detrimental) all the way to free form scenario/role play. Even plain old physical conditioning/training is a "mental toughness" component.Ever gone running and just wanted to stop and walk, but forced yourself to keep going? 99% of basic military training is pushing a recruits physical/mental limits to show him/her that he/she is capable of far more than "normal living" has ever pushed them. Heck even the vaunted SEAL "hell week" is all about mental toughness and endurance rather than it is about determining if any one of them has the instinct to kill.....

Latest Discussions