Kicking techniques

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At what juncture in your training are you tought the proper places to hit to do the most damage to somebody trying to hurt or rob you and how much time doesyour instructor go over these vital spots with the class?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At what juncture in your training are you tought the proper places to hit to do the most damage to somebody trying to hurt or rob you and how much time doesyour instructor go over these vital spots with the class?
We start at yellow belt (8th gup) and add a few at each rank. I go over pressure points and other vital spots (eyes, throat, solar plexus, brachial plexus, etc.) about once a month. It gets more intense/detailed as students move up and are able to hit a specific point more accurately and with better control.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The instruction I got was fairly rudimentary yet effective. Kick low to bring the opponent down. Once their head is lower than your waist, feel free to crack another kick upside his head if you want. :)

On a serious note, I myself prefer the knees, shins, groin, and pelvic region as targets for kicks. I suppose you could break out the vital point chart and go over meridian theory (and you should for advanced students), but the bread-and-butter targets are the above for me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I start with targets from day one... The first punch I teach, I teach 'em to hit a particular target. Same thing with kicks; when I teach front kicks, I teach to kick particular targets (groin, solar plexus, knees, in general for kicks).

If you don't teach targets early on, I don't think you can effectively teach them to be focused.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We don't have official instruction on where to hit to do the most damage, but with each technique we do, at least one or twice the intructor explains where this technique can be landed and what will happen to the agressor if it does land properly. We are never taught to hit targets like the groin, but it "comes up" in post class conversations with the students that are obviously the ones that can handle the information. A lot of our students are in it for the fitness or the fun and don't want that level of info, but the ones that do are welcome to casual post lesson or pre lesson talks about things like that.

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We are taught self-defense moves from "day 1". And those moves involve specific targets. As we progress we are taught different targets.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We are taught self-defense moves from "day 1". And those moves involve specific targets. As we progress we are taught different targets.

I too was taught from day one, just as I teach my students now. I am always reminding them that the martial arts were developed as self defense training and if done properly will hurt someone it is used on.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We start from day one, also. However, when I teach it to children I make them very aware of the dangers of aiming at vital points.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started from day one, with groin kicks, kick to the knees, punch to the nose, knife hand to neck, kick/ strike to kidney/ rib area... At yellow belt, we started covering sweeps.

Latest Discussions