Khun?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does this mean 'coach'? I thought so, but watching a show tonight, it was used to describe not only a coach of boxing, but also by the coach in referring to the student. The student had a fair amount of experience and ring success but was still a student, not a trainer.

Although this was in Thailand, it was Western boxing, not Muay Thai.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know for sure. But the term I've heard for instructor in MT is "Kru" - though not being a student of MT, I don't know what that means specifically.

"Khun" might be a different title or maybe it's just a dialectical version of "Kru" - assuming Thailand has regional dialects.

Mike

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was spelled out in the subtitles and I could near it clearly--it definitely wasn't Kru. I also don't think it was a dialect issue as they were in the capital at a large gym, though one never knows.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
It was spelled out in the subtitles and I could near it clearly--it definitely wasn't Kru. I also don't think it was a dialect issue as they were in the capital at a large gym, though one never knows.

Don't know. I'm only very peripherally aware of the arts from Thailand. I suppose it's also possible that the "Kru" that I've heard was a bad Romanization of "Khun" - I doubt that but it's possible.

I wouldn't normally have even approached this post since I really have little more than a shot in the dark kind of clue - but since no one else had even taken a shot in the dark, I figured I'd throw it out there.

Mike

T

ThaiBoxingGear

Guys, I've lived here in Thailand for nearly 8 years, I'm married to a Thai and speak, read and write Thai. Khun most definitely does not mean "coach." You would refer to a coach as "Kru" or "Ajarn." Khun means "You" in Thai and is also a polite way of referring to someone.

In a restaurant for instance, if you want to get the waiter's attention, you might say "Khun Khup" instead of just "Khup." This is basically saying "You sir" as in excuse me sir. Simply a polite expression.

You would also use it in a sentence such as "Khun ja klap ma meau arai?" You (Khun) will come back when or as an English speaking person would write or say, "When will you come back?"

It is a not a dialect issue or anything like that.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by ThaiBoxingGear
Guys, I've lived here in Thailand for nearly 8 years, I'm married to a Thai and speak, read and write Thai. Khun most definitely does not mean "coach." You would refer to a coach as "Kru" or "Ajarn." Khun means "You" in Thai and is also a polite way of referring to someone.

In a restaurant for instance, if you want to get the waiter's attention, you might say "Khun Khup" instead of just "Khup." This is basically saying "You sir" as in excuse me sir. Simply a polite expression.

You would also use it in a sentence such as "Khun ja klap ma meau arai?" You (Khun) will come back when or as an English speaking person would write or say, "When will you come back?"

It is a not a dialect issue or anything like that.

Great info! It's good to have someone on this board who lives in the country and knows the language, and who can clear these things up!

Welcome! :cool: :asian:

Latest Discussions