Keychain attachments

D

dscott

http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&categoryId=13663&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=13661&crumb=13501-13524

What are you're opinions on these types of weapons for self defense. They are illegal in some states (including mine) but is it worth carrying around for the risk of getting caught with it. I, myself, don't carry one but have friends that have them (not the pointed ones though).

Also what are the laws in other countries when it comes to these types of weapons? I have a friend that is travelling overseas for a few months and would like to be able to carry something that would be considered a dangerous weapon (knife, baton, etc.).

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just carry a mini-maglite for this type of weapon, completely legal and is actually useful to have around...

OP
C

Crom

If he comes to the UK he can't carry anything like that, or for that matter anything else. A mini-mag lites the most dangerous thing your allowed.

Still be interested to kow if anyone carries this kinda thing, ever had to use one and more importantly did it work?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find them a pain to fit in my pocket. The flashlight is definitely useful--I have a mini-flashlight now (but not a maglight). A maglight does have many uses though!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definately some effective tools. IMO, the one thats lower right seems like it might draw less attention than some of the others.

Mike

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Airports won't let me take mine (spiked kubaton) with me, even if I am just dropping my husband off. I have to leave mine behind and pick it up later or they will revoke it.

<<shrug>> Go figure,they won't let me keep a nailclipper on the flights, but I can get on with a small flashlight. I suggest you go with a mini flashlight instead. One will do just as well as a kubaton and can serve as a light when needed.

- Ceicei

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who needs them. They mark themselves as weapons. A bar of soap in one pocket and a change of socks in the other is weapon enough. Seperate, they are legal in every country on the planet, together they are a mighty weapon.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've carried a Kubaton for years until the airports started getting stupid about it and that was way before 911..Now it's the ProTek key,alot of similar applications and it looks like a locker key..No hassles as of yet..

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Who needs them. They mark themselves as weapons. A bar of soap in one pocket and a change of socks in the other is weapon enough. Seperate, they are legal in every country on the planet, together they are a mighty weapon.

A "mighty weapon?" A tad hyperbolic there, don't you think?

Keychains, palmsticks and the like can be effective. One downside for the keychain attachments is that the weight of them will wreck your ignition on your car. Other than that, the can be quite useful.

Regards,

Steve

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carry a kubaton and I love it! I never lose my keys anymore :) ! Hopefully I never need it for self defense, but I like having it just in case. :whip:

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea...here in the UK,the only "weapon" you can legally carry is bad breath!
And that will be banned soon enough.

you could try this on for size.....

www.real-self-defense.com

Check for the umbrellas.

They are based in virginia,I believe.
A bit pricey,but think of the benefits on the long term.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My wife's car keys have a leather strap on them for holding them around your wrist. Of course, whenever I have her keys I can't stop myself from taking a few practice swings. ;)

striker

White Belt
Reaction score
We train a little bit with Kubotans over here in Australia,Great for applying more force to joint locks,Very useful but highly illegal!!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*Has a vision of a person being mugged, saying "hold on, I know I got them" and humbling around in there pockets/purse/bag looking for their keys..."

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
*Has a vision of a person being mugged, saying "hold on, I know I got them" and humbling around in there pockets/purse/bag looking for their keys..."
Ha ha ha ha ha obviously you don't carry one of these, they don't fit easily in a pocket!

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
rutherford said:
My wife's car keys have a leather strap on them for holding them around your wrist. Of course, whenever I have her keys I can't stop myself from taking a few practice swings. ;)
I've carried a key chain designed by a local Kung Fu stylist for over 12 years now. It's pretty cool as it basically has a 2 foot chain attached to it. The chain is inside a pouch and not seen until you swing it and it expands.

Became very popular at the time with the small circle of martial artists in our area. He never really marketed it so it never became available to the general public. I'm actually working with him now to try to revive it as I plan to open a shopping site and I want to sell it to the public.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Zoran said:
I've carried a key chain designed by a local Kung Fu stylist for over 12 years now. It's pretty cool as it basically has a 2 foot chain attached to it. The chain is inside a pouch and not seen until you swing it and it expands.

Became very popular at the time with the small circle of martial artists in our area. He never really marketed it so it never became available to the general public. I'm actually working with him now to try to revive it as I plan to open a shopping site and I want to sell it to the public.
So this is simply a two foot chain, one end holding keys and the other end holding a small pouch? I assume the hand holds the pouch when using this in defense. Do you have a picture of this for us to view? Thank you.

- Ceicei

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
So this is simply a two foot chain, one end holding keys and the other end holding a small pouch? I assume the hand holds the pouch when using this in defense. Do you have a picture of this for us to view? Thank you.

- Ceicei
I just took a quick pic of the one I've had for 12 years. I'll have better pics once I get the new ones.

Attachments

• $keychain1.jpg
    $keychain1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 249
  • $keychain2.jpg
    $keychain2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 247

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I carry one in my work vehicle. It has the keys that open gates and sheds. I figure that if someone is breaking in or inside its already in my hand. This way its in the glovebox and not hanging out of my ignition.
My instructor showed me a pressure point inside the knee on the thigh, bruised me for a week, very effective!!

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
When it comes to these types of weapons, I prefer the Travel-Wrench designed by Kelly Worden. I feel that it's more versatile than a regular kubaton although I carry one of those on occasion. Then there's always the Stinger from James Keating (think plastic push-dagger...nasty).

Like some of you have said, you can't go wrong with a flashlight. If you have to be really covert, the big "super-sharpie" markers work well also.