Kenpo technique video clips. Any comments?

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Back Breaker looks somewhat familiar. I had a hard time telling what it was due to the poor body mechanics

The others...well...are they Tracy Kenpo Techniques? They somewhat resemble Parker Kenpo. Five Swords was horrible, if you performed that on someone in the manner it is done in the clip you'd be laughed at (before or after your beating is optional).

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
if they are tracy, they are not on the modified list we learn (there are 40 techniques per belt, we learn 20 per belt, and another 10 per belt at shodan. afaik we dont learn the other 10)

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That has to be the worst display of body mechanics I have ever seen.

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
What irritates me is not the lack of body mechanics (though that warrants enormous corrrection), but the head instructors lack of responsibility to his students. I'm sure he believes he is teaching somethig that works, but it appallingly clear that his students are being taught something that will only get them killed. He is instilling false physical confidence (which translates to mental confidence) in people who probably came to him looking for confidence. If I was responsible for teaching someone to use a gun and taught them to aim the barrel AT themselves then I shouldn't teach!
Five swords WILL NOT work the way he teaches it!
Notice his credentials and take note. All the certificates and titles in the world does not a good person/instructor make.

Does anyone agree that we should have some governing body determine if someone is allowed to teach martial arts? I am not an advocate of big government at all, but certain things should be controlled. Doctors are required to pass exams by a larger governing body in order to practice. Same with psychologists.
Shouldn't someone who is responsible for teaching someone how to defend themselves in possible life or death situations require the same?
Or perhaps the problem is that we call it an "Art", which means it is interpretational. Oh, to each his own, I'll just put flowers in my hands when attacked and have the attacker be overwhelmed with my kindness. People will flock to me and I will make money. Life will be great... for me.

This man should not teach. And if he does, he should tell his students that his teaching should not be relied upon. (I'd be ok with that)

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
oh, one more thing. Before everyone comes down on me for being to harsh and critical regarding anothers art...
I have seen many videos on the web, but none quite like this. Other videos at least demonstrates decent basics and lay a foundation for improvement.
The instructor himself moves exactly like his students in this video. He is a black belt, he should not move as sloppily as he does, thus the students will immitate and end up moving as bad or worse than their instructor.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
that was entertaining. the most i've laughed all week. i'm usually more reverent than that, but geez, he calls that American Kenpo, and it's obviously not.

i really enjoyed the instructors page. how many arts was this guy certified in? a bunch. trained with Seal team 6 members...? ok.

it's one thing to post videos of something you made up. it's quite another to call it something it clearly is not.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen clips online before with people doing techs., but I have to say that this is certainly one that can use a ton of improvement. Now, anytime someone puts videos online, you can bet that they will take some bashing. People have said, "Well, if you think you can do better, why don't you put your own techs. online?" I have no interest in putting a clip online, but I give credit to those that do. However, IMHO, if I did put a clip online, I would certainly want it to look better than the ones we just viewed.

Mike

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
howardr said:
The real entertainment begins when a student finds out what they were taught doesn't work outside the school.

You know, now I remember why it is so hard for non students to get their hands on the SL-4 Kenpo Uniform Crest. It scares me to death someone might show up in a video looking like crap. - or worse like the example shown here.

Teachers have a duty and a resposibility to students if the claim to teach students to defend themselves. Although I don't feel government intervension is the answer, I also admit I don't know what is beyond - caveat emptor.*

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not one to bash videos because for the most part I think we can learn something from most videos even if it is “ Hey I wouldn’t do it that way”. HOWEVER, HOLY SHIZNIT Batman

Bravo to the students for doing the best that they have been taught. If they are reading this please do some research and visit other Parker schools or a Seminar.

To the Instructor what the heck are you thinking man! You should also visit a seminar close shop and take some lessons I am sure Doc would be happy to give you one or two for free but please quit passing this crap off as American Kenpo. It is the equivalent of a chocolate cake make of mud instead of chocolate. It looks bad taste bad and doesn't really deserve to be called American Kenpo.

OP
H

howardr

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that when I watched those clips, I was reminded of Kip from Napoleon Dynamite.

Now, I'm sure I'd look like somewhat of a goof ball on video, so posting this link wasn't meant to say that "I'm all that" in comparison. But, I figure if you are going to post video of your martial art on the Internet for all to see, you should make sure it is damn good and representative (like don't predominantly demonstrate with beginners unless they are damn good). So, that leaves me to conclude that they were either (a) foolish for not heeding that advice, or (b) actually demonstrating a representative sample of their skills and quality. Unfortunately, it appears that (b) is the answer since "back breaker" displays the prowess of the head instructor (I'm pretty sure it's him). Apple does not fall far from tree. Wow!

On the one hand, I feel kind of bad for posting the link knowing the likely response (after all at least it looks like they're smiling and having fun; that's gotta count for something... :) ), but on the other hand this instructor is claiming this is Kenpo and is presumably teaching this to unwitting students as viable self-defense. Can this be anything other than irresponsible?

ps, I have to say of all the hundreds of clips that I've seen over the years from dozens of schools in dozens of Kenpo flavors, I think this is the worst by far. It's almost like they are intentionally trying to look goofy and be utterly ineffective. I know that's harsh, but this is truly bad. There I said it.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
The real entertainment begins when a student finds out what they were taught doesn't work outside the school.
I wouldn't call it entertainment though. I truly feel sorry for the students being scammed by this instructor.

The way "5 Swords" is done looks more like something that would be taught to someone learning to be a masseuse.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bode said:
What irritates me is not the lack of body mechanics (though that warrants enormous corrrection), but the head instructors lack of responsibility to his students. I'm sure he believes he is teaching somethig that works, but it appallingly clear that his students are being taught something that will only get them killed. He is instilling false physical confidence (which translates to mental confidence) in people who probably came to him looking for confidence. If I was responsible for teaching someone to use a gun and taught them to aim the barrel AT themselves then I shouldn't teach!
Five swords WILL NOT work the way he teaches it!
Notice his credentials and take note. All the certificates and titles in the world does not a good person/instructor make.

Does anyone agree that we should have some governing body determine if someone is allowed to teach martial arts? I am not an advocate of big government at all, but certain things should be controlled. Doctors are required to pass exams by a larger governing body in order to practice. Same with psychologists.
Shouldn't someone who is responsible for teaching someone how to defend themselves in possible life or death situations require the same?
Or perhaps the problem is that we call it an "Art", which means it is interpretational. Oh, to each his own, I'll just put flowers in my hands when attacked and have the attacker be overwhelmed with my kindness. People will flock to me and I will make money. Life will be great... for me.

This man should not teach. And if he does, he should tell his students that his teaching should not be relied upon. (I'd be ok with that)
Dam that was close. I thought my name was among the list of people that taught him. He listed everybody.

OP
H

howardr

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Dam that was close. I thought my name was among the list of people that taught him. He listed everybody.
While he lists that he's trained/trains under Larry Tatum, at least he also says the same for Royce Gracie... :ultracool

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpo3631 said:
Back Breaker looks somewhat familiar. I had a hard time telling what it was due to the poor body mechanics

The others...well...are they Tracy Kenpo Techniques?

"Sifu Robert Teodorczy is also a Full Instructor in Kali, Apprentice Instructor in Silat and Nidan in American Kenpo under Bruce Corrigan"

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i went out to the home page, where you can look at some jkd focus mitt training and some kali knifework.

it would be interesting to hear jkd and kali people comment on what he shows.

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ummmmm....no comment. But I will say the majority of Kenpo schools in my area are exactly like that. :idunno:

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
TChase said:
Ummmmm....no comment. But I will say the majority of Kenpo schools in my area are exactly like that. :idunno:
where do you live?

OP
H

howardr

Green Belt
Reaction score
TChase said:
That's really sad.

Latest Discussions