Kenpo Principles

OP
K

Kirk

Okay, so breaking down Delayed Sword ... what rules is it
supposed to teach? The first block is meeting a horizontal with
a vertical (block) ... the kick teaches when you cat you cock ...
the chop to the neck teaches marriage of gravity ...

What else?

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

What else?

I'm not au fait with a lot of these motion science buzzwords (although the principles do fascinate me) so I may have the wrong one here, but isn't there rotational torque on the blocking hand?

i.e. the torque created from twisting the block around in that fashion is then applied (in conjunction with marriage of gravity) to the neck when striking?

Ian.

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm, well let's see! I know that Mr. Conatser will post a thousand and one things that delayed sword teaches so I will keep it breif. But first ask yourself what are principles? And do you believe that all of the elements that you learn in delayed sword are in fact principles or something else.

:asian:

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by Kirk

What else?

The inward block path is diagonal- vertical is up or down. The cat is transitional and violates Point of Origin and economy of motion if your definitions are from a book. Planting from the kick to the groin with an outward handsword to the "maxilary hinge or carotid artery" uses gravitational marriage if the timing is optimum along with aligning factors and again is on a diagonal but a line this time. ;)

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Harking back to that list of 20 principles, can someone explain 'always have a bracing angle' to me a little? I printed it out and scribbled a load of notes under each one, and that was the only one that I had to leave blank.

Also, I was trying to think of examples for the 'stay on the circle', 'reverse the circle' and 'cut the circle in half' options. For staying on the circle, I had Capturing the Storm as my example, and for cutting the circle in half I had Circling Destruction (double factor through the circle into the handsword). Although, this is from my understanding of what was on the list, I may be barking up the wrong tree!

I'm struggling to think of a reversing circles example though, can someone cite one for me?

Thankyou,

Ian.

OP
S

Sandor

Originally posted by satans.barber

Harking back to that list of 20 principles, can someone explain 'always have a bracing angle' to me a little? I printed it out and scribbled a load of notes under each one, and that was the only one that I had to leave blank.

Also, I was trying to think of examples for the 'stay on the circle', 'reverse the circle' and 'cut the circle in half' options. For staying on the circle, I had Capturing the Storm as my example, and for cutting the circle in half I had Circling Destruction (double factor through the circle into the handsword). Although, this is from my understanding of what was on the list, I may be barking up the wrong tree!

I'm struggling to think of a reversing circles example though, can someone cite one for me?

Thankyou,

Ian.

Probably the best technique for examining a variety of circles in application would be Blinding Sacrifice though there are lots of examples of their applications throughout the tech list. Blinding Sacrifice is cool because this particular tech features them as dual moves and makes them very easy to see.

Both Short 3 and Long 3 are repleat with examples of the uses of circles as well. A lot of category matching/category completion can be done on the various circles in there. Its all on how you want to look at the concept. Remeber, it a conceptual statement. Look to the three things you can do with a circle every time you use any portion of a circle and you may see additional opportunities to capitalize on the concept. It doesn't mean that every time you use a circle you have to go beyond its current application but that you can if it makes sense for you to do so.

'Always have a bracing angle' is a reference to the structure/architecture of the body and Kenpo basics. Easiest way to start looking for bracing angles is in stances; compare Forward bow, Neutral Bow, and Reverse Bow for example. Each of these stances has strengths and weaknesses from any of the eight angles. In a Forward Bow you have a lot of strength and support to resist against if someone pushes you from 12:00 but from the 3 & 9:00 lines you will be more easily moved because the bracing angle isnt there to support against those angles.

Stances are the easiest to demonstrate the concept with over a keyboard ;)

A good question to ask DC or one of the other seniors would be why is there no bracing angle in the way the vertical middle knuckle rake is applied in Short 2... :shrug:

Hope that helps...

Peace,
Sandor

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sandor
'Always have a bracing angle' is a reference to the structure/architecture of the body and Kenpo basics.

A good question to ask DC or one of the other seniors would be why is there no bracing angle in the way the vertical middle knuckle rake is applied in Short 2... :shrug:

Well, remember there is always an exception to any rule..... sooner or later, i.e., never step into darkness, we try to always step into the safest direction available.... key word "available". Often times we have no choice but to move accordingly and that may break a prior rule or guideline that works 99 % of the time.

The middle knuckle rake is the first action for ducking under something while blocking or checking upward and striking in the opposite direction... block up / strike down. Up to this time we have blocked forward and struck forward this is a new definition for a new purpose.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:(

I don't know reversing circles, or the forms you mentioned. I'll have to go and see if I can find a listing somewhere.

Thankyou for the explanation of a bracing angle though, that makes sense now. I've got a bit of something scribbled down for each of those 20 points now that I can read over.

Ian.