Kenpo Kids Curriculum

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kwe sewakwekon, where my daughters train, Amerikick in Brooklyn, the Children's curriculum is a fair bit different than the Adult EPAK .

Not exactly dumbed down but eye gouges and groin strikes haven't been seen as yet(they are on the verge of attaining Orange Belts)

Fair Amount of Kata Drilling and even some "pretend" tournaments,
Dodgeball a mainstay reward for well mannered class ;-)

Lots of kicking excercises and punching excercises.

Seems to be a ratio of 1 Sensei or Leadership team member per 3-4 kids

O:nen ki' wahi' Bye for now

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You can teach the full curriculum to a child, in fact, I would encourage it, just bear in mind that a child's perception, appreciation, and maturity are different than that of an adult, that said, in between all the kenpo belt requirements, set up a technique class that focuses on practical stuff for children, teaching them the principles of motion is provides a solid foundation. Now why would I encourage teaching the whole curriculum because if a child reaches 2nd or 3rd brown at age 13-15 say, and only knows 24-50, whatever techniques, now you have to teach him or her the rest of the stuff, which will pro long everything, the other way around, even if it takes them 8-9 months per belt rather than 6 months or so per belt, upon reaching a age where they can obtain a shodan, atleast they will have an understanding of the full curriculum and then all that is necessary is to polish their stuff, just my opinion.

curious

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had previously skimmed your thread and passed on replying till now. My ten year old is a 3rd degree brown belt in the kids program. He has learned approximately 7 techniques, so far. I had always wondered if he was learning a "watered down" version to the kenpo system. Now that I have enrolled in the adult classes and practicing these techniques, I am realizing that my sonis learning the same thing. Any instructors out there interested in starting a kids class don't be afraid of showing them how its done they will learn. It's imperative that they do. My son has been in a situation of three against one in school, if it hadn't been for his lessons, my son would have ended up in worse condition than he was.

Latest Discussions