Kelly interview: No need to battle the bulge before UFC 105

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-12-2009 07:45 PM:

Paul Kelly likes his ice cream and too many other fattening foods. As middleweight when he first started in mixed martial arts, he could've been Kelly "The Belly." He's cut out most of those bad eating habits and now he's all the way down to lightweight. But it hasn't been an easy path to 155. He made the mistake overloading himself with 11 liters of water on the Thursday before his UFC 99 fight against Roli Delgado. It made for a ridiculous weight cut of 19 pounds on weigh-in day. Kelly learned his lesson and is now managing his weight in between fights a lot more carefully.

"I keep shrinking. Who knows where I'll wind up," Kelly told Cagewriter. "I think I've found my natural weight. I made the cut much more easy this time."

Kelly said he was about 12 pounds over when we spoke with him yesterday. It's a big boost mentally. Going in the Delgado fight in June, Kelly felt cautious.

"I know I can fight 15 minutes if need be at a good pace. I can go out and explode, and hopefully get another Fight of the Night."

The weight will come off but by Saturday night Kelly will be a gargantuan lighweight. When he steps into the Octagon with Dennis Siver, "Tellys" said he'll be back at 80 kilos. That's a 22 pound weight gain from Friday at 4 p.m. to the fight 28 hours later at 8 p.m.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions