Katori Training in Malaysia

O

orpheus

Hello everyone,

Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu Training is now available in Malaysia, under the guidance of Tetsutaka Sugawara Kyoshi of Sugawara Martial Arts Institute, Japan.

Training for Mokuroku level consists of Omote no Tachi, Omote no Bo, Iaijutsu, Tachiai Battojutsu and Omote no Naginata.

Classes are now available in Johor Bahru and Kuala Lumpur.

Drop us an email for more info [email protected]

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, may I say welcome to the forum.
2nd could you tell us a little about Tachiai Battojutsu . I am unfamilar with the term and what it consists of.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
orpheus said:
Hello everyone,

Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu Training is now available in Malaysia, under the guidance of Tetsutaka Sugawara Kyoshi of Sugawara Martial Arts Institute, Japan.

Training for Mokuroku level consists of Omote no Tachi, Omote no Bo, Iaijutsu, Tachiai Battojutsu and Omote no Naginata.

Classes are now available in Johor Bahru and Kuala Lumpur.

Drop us an email for more info [email protected]
Just wondering.........will Sugawara do the actual teaching or will someone else be the full time instructor?

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Saitama Steve said:
Wasn't Sugawara given hamon by the Soke of Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu a few years back?

Dunno.......

Steve don't you train in TSSKS?

BTW, when is the next Dai Tokyo Ketto Booze up?

OP
O

orpheus

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately Sugawara Sensei cannot be here in Malaysia to teach on a regular basis, we have him here annually every december, and we go over to Japan every June.

Training is done under the Shibu Cho, Adam A Wong...your's truly.

Tachiai Battojutsu is the term used for the Standing Iaijutsu that we practise.

What do you mean when you say a Hamon was given? Im not very sure of the term, could you please clarify, then when i meet Sugawara Sensei in June, I'll ask him.

Regards,

Adam

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Saitama Steve said:
Hamon means expulsion from the ryuha. Excommunication or to use the vernacular, the boot.

Izaza Sensei, the soke of TSKSR gave Sugawara hamon from the ryuha during the late 1980's or early 90's.
I heard he was given "walking papers" in the 80's......I could be mistaken.

Steve,

Do you happen to remember what generation Izaza Sensei/Soke is?
(To those that have never heard of him.....Izaza Sensei is a real Soke by the way and not the Interent version)

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Saitama Steve said:
Robert,

Izaza sensei is the 20th generation hereditary headmaster of Katori Shinto ryu.
Do you know why Sugawara was given the boot?

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Saitama Steve said:
Rob,

Well I don't know for sure when. Same as you, I heard that he had been given the ol' Hamon rye sometime during the mid-to-late 1980's. But it is official, he isn't a member of the ryuha anymore, that much is certain.

You wouldn't happen to know why he got shown the door would you?
I heard several stories but I am not sure as to the real reason.

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
RRouuselot said:
You wouldn't happen to know why he got shown the door would you?
I heard several stories but I am not sure as to the real reason.

Well, according to the story I was told, Sugawara already had Kyoshi Menkyo (Not Gokui Kaiden.) and was teaching at the honbu but thought that this wasn't enough. He decided to open up his own dojo without permission from the soke.

When he was ordered to close the dojo down, he refused and was given the boot as a result.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Saitama Steve said:
Well, according to the story I was told, Sugawara already had Kyoshi Menkyo (Not Gokui Kaiden.) and was teaching at the honbu but thought that this wasn't enough. He decided to open up his own dojo without permission from the soke.

When he was ordered to close the dojo down, he refused and was given the boot as a result.
Thats what I heard as well.

sampharo

White Belt
Reaction score
I had the opportunity of working in the poster's dojo for a weekend, and I am afraid it was a major disappointment. I cannot comment on his technique, I am not qualified, but there were two major issues:

1- The training was all over the place. The supposed focused personal training turned to training his own underqualified assistant, his focus on my own performance was diminished at best. The two other sessions were non-related and felt like "tips and tricks". Most importantly I was not impressed that he corrected himself out of technical positions, not once, but twice.

2- There is candour and behavioural standards you expect from a sensei. Overpricing cheap training apparel and bokken to almost double is one thing, stating that the training sword I would need costs at least US$3000 and I should get it from him is straight up exploitation, when the best US made or even Japanese swordsmith product for training is $300, with authentic blades of fantastic cutting ability and structure at $1000. He also misrepresented his school background and sugawara's position.

In short it was a major disappointment and I would like to alert readers here before thinking of seeking him for training in this field which is unfortunately rare in Malaysia.

Latest Discussions