Katana Magic and Gen(justu)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure! At least someone did, but man oh man, is Samurai Jack a dark show. Blood, murder, vengeance, demonic possession, hellish futures. Not sure I would even let young kids watch it. It's nightmarish at times.

The final season was on Adult Swim and the ending was honesty one of the most powerful moments in film history. Epic. So powerful I can't even spoil it. Bring tissues.
I watched most of it as a kid, and loved it. As a kid all I cared about was this samurai in a post apocalyptic wasteland who fought this weird dude with unclear powers, and occasionally martial-danced. Might have to give it another go.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"fantasy film in which Jesus/Yahweh/Mohammed make weapons for Deadpool!"

Exactly.

Oh my...

Gyakuto has never seen Samurai Jack???????

I knew there was something wrong in this timeline. Until he binges SJ, he can never truly understand the power of Rama.
If it’s a cartoon, I will not watch it!

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it’s a cartoon, I will not watch it!
It's more like visual art. An animated graphic novel.

You're missing out.

1697410804535.png

Attachments

• 1697410789935.png
    1697410789935.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 9

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oooo, new avatar!

I’ll give it a go, but I have a low tolerance for cheesy things!

What if I told you Mako did the intro, just like he did in Conan the Barbarian.

There are few martial arts shows like this one. It's personally very special to me and all the other grown man children.

1697461100549.png

Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape shifting master of darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil! But a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me.

Before the final blow was struck, I tore open a portal in time, and flung him into the future where my evil is law. Now the fool seeks to return to the past and undo the future that is Aku!

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
What if I told you Mako did the intro, just like he did in Conan the Barbarian.

There are few martial arts shows like this one. It's personally very special to me and all the other grown man children.

View attachment 30160

Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape shifting master of darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil! But a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me.

Before the final blow was struck, I tore open a portal in time, and flung him into the future where my evil is law. Now the fool seeks to return to the past and undo the future that is Aku!

The one anime intro that really stuck with me was this one:

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth. We were wrong, but to learn this we had to give something in return..."

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The one anime intro that really stuck with me was this one:

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth. We were wrong, but to learn this we had to give something in return..."
Full metal alchemist? Guessing just based on the alchemy. I should go and watch that at some point.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Full metal alchemist? Guessing just based on the alchemy. I should go and watch that at some point.

Correct. It's a masterpiece that starts from questions such as "what are the limits of humankind?", "are there things that Man should not be able to do, limits imposed upon him by God?", "would you violate those natural laws for those you care about? And what price would you be willing to pay?". Then it addresses themes that include trauma; guilt; love; hate; revenge; racism; atrocities; humanity; transcendence; totalitarianism; joining a warped system for personal reasons; war; God's privilege as creator, and whether science should let Man take up that role; ambition; etc.

The newer anime, FMA: Brotherhood, is closer to Arakawa's manga so it's the default recommendation to make to people who want to watch the show. However, I'm quite fond of the first anime adaptation that took liberties and made changes - including major ones - but mixed in some really cool ideas that offered a grittier take (and I like its color palette better). And of course I saw that one as a kid and it resulted in some of the most iconic moments of my childhood. But the first adaptation botched the ending.

In the end, both provide different but IMO equally valid takes on FMA.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. It's a masterpiece that starts from questions such as "what are the limits of humankind?", "are there things that Man should not be able to do, limits imposed upon him by God?", "would you violate those natural laws for those you care about? And what price would you be willing to pay?". Then it addresses themes that include trauma; guilt; love; hate; revenge; racism; atrocities; humanity; transcendence; totalitarianism; joining a warped system for personal reasons; war; God's privilege as creator, and whether science should let Man take up that role; ambition; etc.

The newer anime, FMA: Brotherhood, is closer to Arakawa's manga so it's the default recommendation to make to people who want to watch the show. However, I'm quite fond of the first anime adaptation that took liberties and made changes - including major ones - but mixed in some really cool ideas that offered a grittier take (and I like its color palette better). And of course I saw that one as a kid and it resulted in some of the most iconic moments of my childhood. But the first adaptation botched the ending.

In the end, both provide different but IMO equally valid takes on FMA.
Do both anime follow the same general plot and one's just a newer version, or is it two different stories completely?

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do both anime follow the same general plot and one's just a newer version, or is it two different stories completely?

They follow the same general plot for the first half, then the older one (2003) goes in a different direction, with original characters and ending, probably because the manga was not finished at the time. Brotherhood (2009) strictly follows the manga.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never seen it myself either. I like manga and anime but man, there are just too many to keep up with.

I only watched SJ during it's original run on Cartoon Network because a roomie of mine told me I'd love it. Waiting for season 5 took almost half my lifetime.

Fast forward to my current love of all things jujutsu and kung fu, now you know me front to back.

Has it really been 20 years???

Latest Discussions