Kata Judging for Tournaments

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a the form score which I devised for what it is worth--please change as you would see fit---

FORM SCORE SHEET

Competitor Name____________________________________________

Division__Adult Blue Belt (middle rank TKD -2 yrs in) Age 45 +_________

1. Address, respect shown- judges (1.0 possible)1.0

2. Complete form (2.5 possible) 2.0
(Errors, re-start, imbalance
facial attitude, look-down
(minus .5 to 1.0 max)

3. Stances
(heel down, leg straight in back 1.0)(1.0-1.5)1.0
(longer, lower stances +5)

4. Kicks (held, position correct) (.5) .5

5. Kicks (high-held)(max. l.0).5
(front, side or round each +.5)

6. Power: (Low 1.5)

or (Med 2.0) 2.0

or (High 2.5)

7. Variable (optional)
(other factors: +.5 ea
age, low belt, overall flow/style)(max 1.0 ) .5

Total: 7.5

Note: This is giving the competitor a base score so he walks away with something but knows what was wrong to work on---also he sees all judges scores so can evaluate better.

This competitor made a small pause/error in form, his kicks were average for his age but he had a high front kick and good stances. This allows for a perfect score of 10 and a minimum score of 5 usually and has allowance for other arts ??, young age-old age, low belt-newbie. Notice there is not room for partiality or it would show compared to other scores. I know this would take more time during a tournament but once you get used to scoring it would go faster. They could be stapled together to show the competitor if he wanted to see. What do you think? TW

OP
S

sifu Adams

I like the list you have made. I think I will print it and look at in deaph make some changes and give it back to you. I might try this format at my next tournament in feb. I don't know if I could get it layed out by nov. 6 this year but I think we are on to somithing we can try. I would like to see something more on the level of difficuty. like a front kick vs 5 spinning backkicks in a row. I don't like the back handsprings, flips, and toumbling. that's not martial arts, however I have seen differnt levels of difficaty at tournaments. what do you think?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Going back to what to take off for a stutter step, a slip, a poorly thrown kick, or just that look in the eyes that says "that was wrong now what do I do"

If we are judgeing on a 1 to 10 with half points I take away a half point for most of the above mentioned. If it is a 1 to 10 with tenths I take away from 1 to 3 tenths dependeing on how much of a bad technique it was.

That is over and above the general preformance of the form compared to other forms.

If a person is totaly lost in their form but continues on without stoping and finaly finishes the form I consider how fluidly they got out of the mess they where in and if they showed by facial or body movement that they where totaly lost. Remember some forms are added togeather for turnaments so what I/we know is correct form may have been altered by the compeditor or his instructor for the tournament. If it flows and has power, speed, concentration it usualy gets a goo score. If its sloppy , weak etc, it gets a lower score

Now I must say that if I have seen a compeditor many times I remember how they preform and may (without meaning to ) take away points if they are far below their normal preformance range.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
In TKD, up to first degree, we are not allowed to make up forms, add or subtract either. Taeguek forms are simpler than traditional ITF forms such as Chonji, Toesan, Tangun, on. Most of the kicks are only front or side, later round, crescent and at black belt, double sidekick. We don't do tumbling at all in our orgainization but there are WTF that do. The tumbling doesn't impress me as much as the height and control in jumping spinning kicks but then its much easier for a teen, or twenty something to do. But a young person who is restricted to his form would not have much of a chance against flashier jumping kicks. I think form should be restricted to traditional or ITF and the made up forms in another category.

Personally, from what I saw of Kung Fu, the strength and flexibility of TKD is definitely there plus alot more control, balance, agility plus that the flow and circular movements make it prettier to watch. It is loose.

But TKD and Karate as you said, is full of tenseness, exploding power but is also supposed to be done to a tempo with control, balance and agility too.

Kicks persay, are not that important as compared to the power shown. Kicks are just a added component, frosting on the cake.

Judges from different arts would naturally lend more importance to different factors and I think my list would take that into consideration to a point. If you start your score with a perfect ten and start deducting without a division of importance, you may have a zero or very low score next to the name at the end. If you have a limit on a category say, little errors, then judges will have to examine the whole form, and give credit where due and not take off 3 points for small errors. But if you give them something for getting through the form, for basics demonstrated, they can see the score sheets and know how to improve for future tournaments. It was always a mystery to me how the judges saw me and what I should work on. It should be a learning experience. TW

OP
S

sifu Adams

Last night at class as we were preparing my students for the ohio state championships I used your Idea. Some of my white and Yellow belts have never done tournament so I put a ring together and put a few of my blackbelts as judges. it was intersting. I told my black belts to give each a score then explain why they gave the score. The perents and students was supprised as well as my black belts. the first two was ruff but it started to flow after that. I then seen a shift in the scoring. amazing my black belts had the same ideas and what one did't pick up the others did. I think it made everyone think and my students got a lot out of it. I also may start doing this on a monthy or every 3 months before testing. It took up a class but they got a chance to learn from it. I am going to start working on a judging sheet for my next tournament

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is so exciting. We sometimes used to have students get up in front of the class and we give tips, but alot of times there is reticence at being overly critical. I would have loved to know what to work on for tournaments but for some it is too much and they take it personally. But doing it in front of the class is a "ice-breaker" for the tournament and it builds confidence. Two at a time is not a bad idea for this-takes off some pressure. I am hoping it could be used at our next tournament but every idea I have just gets lip service. sigh!

I would like to see your judging sheet when you get it finished. Thank you for trying it. TW

Latest Discussions