kalaripayattu long staff practice

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
interesting drills but I don't think those uniforms would be accepted in most tournaments around here

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well that is the standard training uniforms and considering the environment they work out in it works pretty well. They do have dress uniforms like this which are for demonstrations, etc.

Attachments

• $Kalaripayattu 1 for TIE.jpg
    $Kalaripayattu 1 for TIE.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 338
OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the long stick work of Kalaripayattu personally. The drills they have are very, very similar to alot of sibat I have practiced in the FMA's for years.
icon14.gif

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Very cool. I have never had direct exposure to such arts but knew they existed. Had Indian friends in Junior High & Senior High School but it was never really something they brought up even though they knew I was training in many other arts. I guess my old friend Chaten & his family kept it to themselves behind the family video rental store back in 84' LOL. Great stuff to see. Thanks for posting. PEACE JIMI

Anjoli Chadha

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello.I am a 25 year old female.I have been trained in Kalaripayattu.I live in New york now and am lookig to start a group to keep up my practice...would any one know of any group or person interested in New york.I just joined this website and cant figure out anything,Just looking for some people who are serious about practicing!!!

Anjoli chadha :)

Anjoli Chadha

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi!! i am A 25 Year old female from India.I am trained in Kalaripayattu and am looking to meet ppl in new york interested to practice the martial art so that I may keep up my practice.

I dont know of any peson or group in New york and am looking for serious individuals...
can anyone help??

Anjoli:)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Anjoli,

I am not aware of any kalaripayattu schools in the United States. If they exist, they must be rare or at least not advertised openly and require an introduction to get in. New York City would be a good place to look it they are to be found. You might be the most senior person here and you might need to direct the training yourself.

I would be interested in checking it out, but alas, I live in San Francisco.

Good luck to you, let us know if you find others.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may want to check within the Indian community; that'd be my best guess. Or... find a park and start practicing. You just may find there are more folks interested around. You might also try gyms or more commercial martial arts clubs as a place to practice.

I'd love to learn some of it -- but, as Flying Crane said, it's not very openly practiced.

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
those first exercises are killah--
met a kalari person and they were showing us man they have some awesome flexibility

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
I watched a tape on those up and down drills and all that jumping, that is hard stuff and i cant imagine doing it myself

Latest Discussions