Just a simple question!

Sambone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been studying Hapkido for a few years not, actually I think it has been closer to 4 years, but the first few was kinda off and on.(I was in Taekwondo as well, so that came first) Anyway, I am a red belt now and my black belt test is in October and where I am excited about it I think I am also starting to doubt myself whether I could hold up to some people from other schools. I do participate in tournaments, but that is Judo and I have never actually been to a hapkido tourney.

So I guess my question would be what kind of stuff do other black belts from other schools know? Am I lacking when it comes to my knowledge in Hapkido?

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good question. If you can, take an oppurtunity to watch another school or attend a seminar that is open to multiple schools/associations. Until you have an idea what is really out there, your whole world view is just right there in your own dojang. It can open your eyes - you may find that you are much better than average, you may be far below that average.

Good luck in your search,
Mac

hapkidonet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why are you starting to doubt your abilities versus those of equal ranks from other schools? Is it possible that you are attending a "Macdojang" where belts are handed out on a timetable? Maybe you are wondering if you really earned your rank?

I suggest that you visit as many other schools as you can and watch their classes. If you have doubts about the quality of your own instruction and the genuiness of the belt promotion process, or if you find another school where the level of instruction and skill seems markedly higher, why not switch?

Latest Discussions